“What a fun place on a Monday night!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dallas, Texas
“What a fun place on a Monday night!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Took my son for a quick brew before an event and discovered a plethora of wonderful beers to choose from, $1 grilled cheese sandwiches, and beers half price. The place was PACKED, needless to say, but lots of fun.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Canfield, Ohio, United States
“Random Find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

I showed up with my wife and two kids after an OSU game - no reservations.... Despite the long wait - we had a good time. Green Chilli was excellent. Everyone loved the mac and cheese. Specialty drinks made my wife happy. I had tons of beers to choose from. This is not a family place - but my kids faired well.

“Never again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We tried Bodega after reading about it in some foodie magazine. This has to be the loudest place I've ever eaten. If I wanted to talk I had to yell, so I didn't bother. I ordered the signature Mussels with fries. They tasted fine, but the mussels were around a dozen and the size of peanuts. My dining companions weren't thrilled with their choices, either. Our server was the only bright spot of the evening, but I failed to get his name. If that wasn't bad enough, we had a reality show reject family sitting next to us that encouraged their young child to run around the dining room and do his karate. Honey BooBoo would have thought these people were freaks. There are so many great dining options in Columbus, why anyone would choose here is beyond me. I guess it's the beer.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Athens, Ohio
“Top notch experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for an anniversary dinner with my wife (19 years). I had heard of Bodega lately from the various magazines and paper and decided to give it a try. The Bodega is a bar restaurant without typical bar food, and is not a quaint place but rather a busy, trendy establishment. The Bodega has over 50 different beers, micro and commercial, and they do an excellent job of paring beers with your meal. The menu is not what you would expect from this type of establishment, the menu was a new twist on bar fare, with a robust flavor and out of the box thinking. The menu changes with a rotation and new dishes created by Executive Chef Marcus Meacham. I had the Hanger Steak, which was prepared to perfection and served over mashed fries and topped with onion straws, the seasoning on the steak and dish provided a robust complexity of flavors that complement each other and explode off the tongue! The salad was an "unsimple" salad with arugula, romaine, over sautéed green beans, topped with postachio nuts and white grapes with an herb vinergette. My wife had the same salad and a roasted hummus, pita, and vegetables, by far the best hummus I've ever tasted!

In all a meal way above what you would expect at that price point and one of the best meals I've ever had.

Visited July 2013
Marion, Ohio
“We loved this place.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

It appears my review is quite a bit different than some previous ones. After bad weather pretty much trashed other vacation plans, we decided we would make the hour drive to Columbus 2-3 times that week and experience restaurants not previously visited. One was Bodega.
My understanding is that Bodega was one of the original Short North Restaurants and, appropriately, it looks well worn. We arrived late afternoon a bit before it got very crowded. I think it is safe to say that the 3 of us were not the most "hip" diners on the premises, but we were well-received and felt very comfortable and welcome. It was our server's first day on the job, but he was ready with answers to questions and did a fine job.
I can't really address the lack of "healthy food options." I ordered the grilled cheese sandwich (with bacon and tomato), so obviously I wasn't seeking healthy fare that day. That said, it was the best grilled cheese sandwich I have ever had -- thick, cheesy, chewy, crusty. I also had a pureed bean soup which I still dream about. I don't usually equate bean soup with abundant taste, but this one produced flavor explosions in my mouth with every spoonful.
Simple food - reimagined and creatively prepared. We will definitely be back.

• Visited July 2013