“Terrific South Indian food, great value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrific South Indian food, great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Some of the best Indian food I've had anywhere, including NYC and India; Indian friends call it the real deal and as good as anything back home. Not fancy but comfortable to chat and they do carryout. Never had a dosa? Try one. Or have the veggie thali.

• Visited June 2013

Michigan
“Excellent Food - Poor service & ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

My first time in Columbus. The place looked like a dump.... I went in about 8:40pm on a stormy night, there were about 6-8 guys crowded around the cash counter... I waited at the door for someone to come greet and sit me... After a few mins, waved a guy carrying a water jug (assuming he'd be a waiter) and asked if I need to order at he counter & prepay or order will be taken at the table. The guy said I could sit anywhere. I found a table and sat there expecting someone to show up to take the order. After 5 mins of waiting and the guy didn't show up again, went to the counter where the racket was continuing (including the guy who I talked to previously). I stood there in the back. Finally the guy at the counter said "what?" Ad then said we close at 8:45 (the website said 9pm), but since you're here we will give you dosa. I told him I came in about 10 mins ago and no one cared, he didn't seem to care now. By way of introduction, I said it was my first time in Columbus, and he said "why do you mention that?" in a "so what" tone. I did order the masala dosa. The dosa arrived very quickly (2 mins or less), piping hot.

Once I put it in my mouth, lo and behold, one of the best masala doses I've eaten. I'm from southern India where doses are one of the staple foods, and this was very good. The potato masala was plentiful, so were the peanut chutney and the sambar. Yes, the chutney was made of peanuts (somewhat unconventional, but my favorite). Great taste covered for the lack luster service.

When I went to pay the bill, the guy asked how it was and if I would return. Of course I said yes.

Service & attitude could definitely use improvement, but will probably survive as long as people come here for the food quality.

Visited April 2013
Columbus, Ohio
“Don't let the atmosphere fool you”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

ThOn the other hand, the place is crowded enough so maybe it's a good thing that the decor is so shopworn.

Had one of the combo platters that consists of a couple appetizers, a dosa, and a dessert. I'm not sure what the appetizers are called but one was a couple of donut shaped savories that were very yummy, and the other was a plain white soft rice flour pancake which was bland but not bad when dipped in chutney. I opted for the channa marsala dosa which was chick peas and potato curry. The dessert was a small fried dough ball in a sweet cardamom syrup. It was way too much food and it ended up being my dinner as well. The portions are huge so if you lie to sample different dishes, bring a friend.

The food was fresh and delicious. The service was bit slow but as I said it was crowded.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Yakima, Washington
“Good even for meat eaters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Super authentic southern Indian vegetarian cooking. Everything is extremely fresh and of high quality. No pretensions.

Visited July 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“What a Paradox!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

Great food! Absolutely awful ambiance! Bring your Eastern appreciaton for yin yang, because the food will make you want to come back, while the setting, especially the disposable foam plates and plastic forks will make you wish you had never come. What a shame, with a little upscaling,this would be one of Columbus' primo Indian restaruants.

• Visited December 2011