“Good but could be great”

Hampton Inn & Suites Columbus Polaris
Ranked #7 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Cleveland, Ohio
“Good but could be great”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

People make a hotel great. The folks here tried but I don't think their hearts were in their work or they just needed more training.

1. Arrived about 10:30am and said we know we are early but can we just register. No, come back later. Came back about 1:30pm and asked the same thing. No. Woman appeared on the scene and made some smart remark that they could throw someone out of their room so we could register. Don't they know the difference between just registering and getting a room? We had reservations. Came back about 3:30pm and they were delighted to have a room for us.

2. Asked about starting time for horse races. Two ladies checked their computers but could not find starting time. Very friendly but no help until one of them mentioned that all she could find was post time. Okay, so they are not horse racing aficionadoes.

3. Can you cash a check for $100? We are guests at the hotel. Sorry, no. We can't cash checks. Where is the nearest PNC bank? Oh I know, just about a block away. Sorry, not even close. We found the PNC bank on our own.

4. Where is the nearest Tim Horton doughnut shop? Hmm, let me check. Talk between two desk clerks gets no answer. Man appears from the back, they ask him, and he correctly says, next traffic light to the right.

5. Woman approachs the desk while we are standing there. Says her light switch doesn't work. Clerk says, oh yes, just press it. I explain to the woman that we also had a problem with our light switch. I'm mechanically minded and this was the weirdest switch I've seen. Just keeping pushing all over and eventually it works. Lady thanks me.

Room was clean. No bed bugs. Hey, that counts for something. Breakfast was fair to good. Strange tasting Spanish eggs one morning but overall good.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
travel4myliving, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbus Polaris, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback! We appreciate your detailed review of our hotel and team. We are always striving to provide great experiences for our guests, we will learn from your insights.
I am sorry that you had a difficult time when arriving to the hotel early. I have emailed my contact info to you as well. I would like the opportunity to apologize directly for the issues you encountered.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Deedee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Canton
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Our stay at the Hampton was wonderful. The location to the rest of the city was convenient and the rate was unbeatable especially for the quality of the hotel and it's amenities. The beds are extremely comfortable, the queen suite was more than large enough for our family of five, our kids loved the pool and hot tub and the free breakfast was as good as Bob Evans. So many delicious and healthy choices. The hotel even provided a substantial discount on Zoo/Waterpark passes. The front desk staff was courteous and very helpful. We would definitely stay here again and tell our friends!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are really glad you enjoyed our service and amenities. Hopefully you can be our guest again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Hampton Inn Polaris was much more than we expected. The staff was very friendly when we arrived. When we go to our room, we were amazed at how big it was and how clean it was.

They have a pool and hot tub too. Again, very well maintained. It does close at 10:00 PM.

Breakfast in the morning was your usual free breakfast but very good. If you want something more, I would suggest finding a joint that does breakfast however, we were very satisfied with what was served.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. Very reasonably priced, very clean and comfortable and very friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
travel4myliving, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbus Polaris, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you so much for review our hotel. We appreciate your comments and we are very glad you enjoyed our hotel and amenties. I hope you have the chance to come back and be our guest again soon.
Murrieta, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I stayed at this hotel as part of a work group. The first person I encountered was rude, but other than that the staff were nice. The beds were comfortable, internet worked well and the free flowing coffee in the lobby was a plus. Not plush accomodations, but perfectly reasonable for the price point. No issues with noise in my room.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you taking the time to share your review. I am very sorry that you encountered an unfriendly welcome. There is no excuse for that. I am very pleased to know that the rest of your stay was pleasant. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again as our guest.
Mayfield Heights, Ohio
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights with my mom and sister. Check in was quick and easy. Room was clean and comfortable. Hair dryer was pretty good for a hotel hair dryer! I also liked the light over the bathtub. Also had a nice large work desk. The staff was friendly. Breakfast was your typical Hampton breakfast which was delicious. Noise was a minimal issue for us. My only 2 complaints were the key card readers were tricky, in fact I had my key re-programmed 3 times, I had to get the batteries in the TV remote replaced twice. Jill helped me for the key card and remote and was apologetic and polite about it Other than those I mentioned no other complaints. The business center and the fitness center were fine. Didn't use the pool so I won't comment on that. I highly recommend this place if your travels bring you to Columbus.

Room Tip: I was on the 2nd floor facing the parking lot and across from the elevators. Noise was minimal
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
travel4myliving, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbus Polaris, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Hello Brian,
I adore the title of your review. I may borrow from time to time. :) We are so glad you enjoyed your visit. I hope that you will stay with us again if you come back to Columbus.
United States
Reviewed August 6, 2014

My suite was quiet, clean and very comfy . I slept like a baby after so many hours of work and training. This hotel does not have a restaurant, but it is very easy to order food delivered to your room. The people at the Front desk were very friendly and willing to assist.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your feedback very much. There is no greater compliment to us than a return guest! We hope to see you again soon.
Milan, Ohio
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We visited the Irish Festival in Dublin, Ohio on Saturday Aug. 2nd. and 3rd. and decided to stay overnight. I had booked two rooms a few months ago for us. This Hampton is about 12-15 miles from Dublin at Polaris. I called in the morning on 8/2 on our way down to make sure we had reservations. The front desk person, sorry I did not get his name, was very pleasant and assured me as we had paid in advance for our rooms they would be ready and waiting for us. I told him we would be very late arriving around 12:00pm. Was closer to 1:00pm when we arrived. The lady at the front desk had a big smile for us our keys already made out so was a fast check in and very glad as we were very tired. The rooms were next to each other and very very clean and welcoming. Lots of room. Loved the entrance and that the vanity was outside the bathroom. The front desk staff is to be commended for the excellent care we received. I was disappointed the in continental breakfast. No eggs. The oatmeal was cold. The servers were to busy chatting to pay much attention to the guest. When I asked about the microwave one pointed to where it was and went back to her conversation. I would stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel, but would eat somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
travel4myliving, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbus Polaris, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing this nice review. I am please our desk agents were able to accommodate your early check in. I am certainly disappointed in your experience with our breakfast. Please know that I am following up with this team to ensure they understand this sort of behavior and service is unacceptable. I really appreciate that you shared with us.
We do hope that when you stay with us again, you will let me know if you had a better breakfast experience.