“Good Food Draws a Crowd!”
Review of Surly Girl Saloon - CLOSED

Surly Girl Saloon
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Good Food Draws a Crowd!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Surly Girl has one of the more interesting and varied menus of the group of restaurants under the same ownership - that's probably why it draws such a crowd, which can sometimes lead to service suffering during particularly slammed times. But if you can get there early, it is a fun place with good prices and a nice atmosphere.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Megan R

Cleveland, Ohio
“Brunch served Saturday and Sunday; nice Short North Location”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The food:

- Brunch served Saturdays and Sundays 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.; regular menu available, too
- Menu has a Southwest/Texmex bent with big, Texas-sized portions to match!
- Everything was prepared fresh and was delicious! I suggest the West of the Pecos Nachos – homemade corn chips with eggs, cheese salsa -- scrumptious!
- What we ate: Black Bean Huevos 'Surlitos' with pulled pork and the Sherriff Wrap (http://www.surlygirlsaloon.com/food.php?subcategory=Brunch). Both were great, but the Surlitos was similar to the Pecos breakfast nachos we split as an appetizer, so next time I’ll try something else
- Don’t leave without trying or splitting a signature cupcake. For brunch my guest and I split the blueberry muffin with buttercream frosting – fresh and homemade (and sinfully good!)
- Many veggie/vegan options are available

Other nuggets:

- Surly Girl is owned by the same group that owns Betty’s (other end of the Short North), Tip Top (Downtown) and Jury Room (German Village) -- all great venues with yummy food
- Very fun, funky décor, great ambiance and stellar service. Diverse crowd ranged from pierced hipsters to yuppie couples – and everyone seemed to be having a great time

Not enough places serve brunch on Saturdays; most only reserve it for Sunday. But that’s what led us to the Surly Girl, and I’m sooo glad it did. The food was fresh and wonderfully flavored and it arrived quickly, too. Surly Girl is officially tied with Union Station/Union Cafe for best brunch in the Short North -- at least according to me.

• Visited August 2012
Houston
“Fun atmosphere, good food, great prices=Priceless!”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I just recently returned from Deadwood, SD, so you know I had to visit this local version of a saloon.  While in Columbus on business, my co-worker and I went for late lunch on a week day. We walked in to a sign that said seat yourself. So we saddled up to front window table top and reviewed the menu.  The place does a cute homage to the era of saloons with dark wood, low lighting, the long bar to slide  a sarsaparilla  down and the the slightly creepy pictures of skeletons on the walls.  It definitely gives the Saloon #10 in Deadwood  a run for its money for decor! Now for the food! The nice thing is this place offers a lot of veggie friendly options, including their chili.  I ordered the lunch special which includes a half sandwich, soup and my childhood favorite of "Fritos". I chose the veggie sandwich as my half sandwich.  When my plate arrived, I was pleasantly pleased.  The veggie chili looked good, loaded with cheese and dollop of a spice sour cream.  The taste was light and flavorful.  The veggies sandwich was fresh and crisp with veggies and in a very well toasted slice of bread.  Also to my surprise, the portions were generous for a lunch combo. I actually left some food behind.  My co-worker ordered the Shells and cheese and loved it.  Again the portion was huge, so she had to leave some behind.  BUT, we were not leaving without trying the "red velvet" cupcakes.  The cupcake was in a word " cute". It was covered in a large spread of cream cheese frosting and a Maraschino cherry.  The icing was very creamy but a little too much, we both had to scrape half off. The cake itself was über moist.  I would definitely come back for coffee and cupcake on my next visit. The best part was the price!  Our bill for two was around $25. For the price alone, I will be back.  This is a great place with a fun atmosphere, good comfort food and great prices. The one ding I would give is the service, which many other yelpers have commented on.  We sat at the table for 10 minutes before a server came by to take our order.  We had to order water vs the usual expectation of it showing up.  And our actual meal took a while to get to us even though the place was not crowded. Now we did come after a usual lunch time, so perhaps the staff had checked out for their lunch, but they should just amp the presence a smidge for late eaters like ourselves and provide water without asking.  But for that "glitch", I give it a thumbs up for veggie folks traveling to Columbus and want to lunch in the Short North!

• Visited August 2012
Powell, Ohio, United States
“Best service in town, good food too!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

An unexpected busy evening at Surly Girl was a wonderful experience. The staff was overwhelmed but handelded it very well. We came in with a family of four, two very hungry kids. Fritto pie appetizer stat, a little later with the delay, two free cupcakes. Life is too short not to enjoy dessert first sometimes:). Overall great experience. Highly recommend!

1 Thank Burt B
Alexandria, Virginia
“Atmosphere for Days”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is one of the places I almost don't want to review because I don't want the word to get out. Whenever I am in town my brother and I always make a beeline for this place. The beers are cheap, the food is inventive but casual and the atmosphere just can't be beat--totally hipster but in an edgy, western bordello kind of way.

Visited December 2011