“I never knew Turkish food could be so good.”

Shish Kebab Mediterranean Grill
Ranked #202 of 2,243 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Dublin, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I never knew Turkish food could be so good.”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My wife and I visited a fantastic Turkish restaurant near the intersection of Bethel and Go Down roads called the Shish Kebab Mediterranean Grill.  The decor was pleasantly elegant and the background music was perfect for fine dining.  They also have a very nice patio for those who like to dine outside.   While I am not a food critic, I give this restaurant a five star plus!  The meat was tender, flavorful, cooked to perfection and the service was excellent. The appetizers, main course and the indigenous wine were all superb. I am rather particular regarding exotic foods, and I would be the first to complain if it failed to meet my expectations.   So I'm pleased to say that we had a most enjoyable evening which truly made our visit an experience to remember, and we look forward to returning.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank Ed N

Columbus, Ohio
“Excellent”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Really great food served in a classy atmosphere. Can't wait to go back!

Columbus, Ohio
“Quiet Turkish corner”
Reviewed August 21, 2010

My husband was skeptical every time we drove by this restaurant ( 'Is everything on a stick?") until the night I convinced him to try it . The flatbread and pepper oil is unique. Dark wood paneling and attractive decor make this a great place for a romantic dinner. The food is warm and hearty - very Turkish compared to the Greek or Palestinian restaurants in town.

Columbus, OH
“Not so happy New Year”
Reviewed January 3, 2010

Our group of 10 arrived on New Year's Eve to the Shish Kebob Mediterranean Grill, Columbus OH to learn that there was only one menu that night, the Prix Fixe menu. This was not told to me when I called to make the reservation. We were put in a very uncomfortable position, as the $45.00 per person price was above what we had budgeted for this meal, but, the waiters promptly brought heaping platters of salad and appetizers, and we then had no tactful way of getting up and leaving. The other problem was that one of our group could not eat most of what was on the menu, as he is on a restricted diet and cannot eat shrimp or lamb. We chose this restaurant, as we were familiar with the regular menu, and we thought we were going to be eating strictly vegetarian that night.

On another topic, the service was substandard that night. The waitresses brought the dessert before they had removed the dinner platters. There was no room on the table for the dessert dishes, and they kept trying to look for room for the dessert plates. I finally said, "Would you kindly clear these dinner dishes before you bring the dessert? Also, one man at our table asked 4 times fore a bottle of seltzer water before it was delivered.

Now, for the quality of the food. The salads, bread dips and the appetizers were all wonderful. If dinner had consisted only of them, we would have been satisfied. But, the entrees were terrible. And I mean terrible! The lamb shank was tender, but the platter it was on was piled high with overcooked green beans that flavored the tasteless meat with the taste of the watery greenbeans. And there were far too many tasteless boiled red potatoes to eat. There was no interest to this dish. I tasted the other lamb dish, and felt the slices of lamb were tough. I also tasted the Alaskan salmon wrapped in grape leaves, and was uninspired by its taste. If you had been at our table, you would have seen much of everyone's entree untouched. For $45.00 per person, the entrees should have been excellent, but they were totally uninspiring.

The belly dancing was entertaining. No complaint there.

My main complaint was that at the time I made the reservation, it should have been explained to me that there would only be the one menu that night. We were not looking for a total New Year's Eve experience, but a moderately priced establishment with good food where our group of friends could get together to dine. The prices were not moderate (as they are on this restaurant's regular menu) and the entrees were not good.

2 Thank Lovetotravel030524
Columbus, OH
“Outstanding and authentic; great value”
Reviewed December 1, 2009

We ate here for lunch and were very pleasantly surprised. The food was inexpensive and delicious in addition to being very authentic. The three-course fixed-price lunch is where to look.