“Disappointed is an understatement”
Review of Ding Ho Far West Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ding Ho Far West Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We ate here after some of the nicer reviews. We were so disappointed. I just moved to the West Side and my friends and I were wanting some good chinese food to take home. The food was the worst Chinese food that we ever had. The meat wasn't trimmed and was fatty. The host told me that they were known for their eggrolls, we tried them, they were awful. My friends and I literally couldn't eat more than a couple bites.

1  Thank Sara B

Reviewed February 11, 2013

For those of you who were disappointed in Ding Ho; give it one more try and ask for Wor Su Gai.

We ate there for the first time 30+ years ago when they were still on W. Broad. The waitress recommended this dish and it is delicious. We have ordered at least one serving (which is large enough for two) every time we've been back. We were there a couple of weeks ago for the first time in the new location. They must be using the same recipe for Wor Su Gai; it's still great.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

With all the excellent Chinese food options around town, we decided to try this one because of HHonors Dining for Miles points and recommendations. There will be no return visits to this place.

There were a couple positives... (1) the carryout was ready when expected, (2) the wonton soup was good, but it is pretty hard to screw up chicken broth, wonton wrappers, and small slivers of red-painted pork, (3) the egg rolls were large and tasty and stuffed with goodies and came with GOOD hot mustard and sweet/sour sauces. (on par with the awesome eggrolls made up at General Tsos on Bethel/Godown).

Now the negatives... all of the entrees we ordered. They all looked basically the same. A milky opaque sauce with tons of celery and a few pieces meat. I could almost taste the corn starch from the sauce as it coated my teeth and throat. Bleh. All of our entrees tasted the same. The rice that is included is so tiny that you can not share. It is half the size of ANY other Chinese place. The Cantonese noodles that we ordered were barely wok charred and it was a tough debate to decide whether there was more noodles or more bean sprouts. Once again, very blah. And the kung pao chicken? OMG! How can you screw up kung pao chicken?!?!? Yep, you guessed it, by pouring on that icky starchy gooey milky sauce. Instead of the normal darker spicy NORMAL kung pao sauce, this was a few pieces of barely cooked chicken, TONS of celery, a few spanish peanuts, and floating in that blah cornstarch sauce.

If this is what they ate in the 60's, then I say let them keep it. I will stick with modern chinese that actually has texture, has flavor, and is not soaked in a gooey corn starch syrupy sauce.

I guess it is back to General Tsos up in Arlington, or China Bell down in Grove City.

1  Thank MGoBlueBoy
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Consistently excellent food for over 45 years. Now the decor matches the cuisine.
Try the WonTon Soup with Bar-B-Qued Pork and the unique Bar-B-Qued Shrimp.
Have been going here since the '60's.

1  Thank animalcule
Reviewed December 12, 2011

As far as I can remember, from back in the 60's, this was the place to go for the best Chinese/American cuisine in the State. I mean,what other Chinese restaurant could you get fried rice, egg rolls and an order of southern style grilled pork chops, or Italian spaghetti with a side of fried dumplings. You had to make reservations unless you wanted to wait for a couple of hours to be seated. The food was simply so good as to be beyond description. Now, with the old school chefs gone and them moving locations and changing the products to skimp on the pricier ingredients that made their food so addictive, they have become no more than your average Chinese restaurant.
The price compared to the portions are not worth it now. The clientele has dwindled so much that I fear that there should be a death watch for the Columbus Historic landmark.