“Fantastic Italian”

Dining options: Reservations
Columbus, Ohio
“Fantastic Italian”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This place has fantastic Italian food. I can't think of a better restaurant. Everything is homemade. To start our meal, we split Lola's entrée salad, which was delicious and more than enough for two. It had greens, candied pears, cranberries, and gorgonzola with a homemade dressing. It's an amazing combination. For my entree, I had the baked ziti with roasted peppers and broccoli. The broccoli tasted so good in the sauce. I think it was a vodka sauce. I was too full for dessert, but next time I'm going to make sure I get Lola's homemade tiramisu. I think the desserts are very popular because I overheard the waitress saying that several desserts were sold out until next week.

My only complaint is that the service is a little slow, but the waitress was very nice. Also, Joe was asking everyone if they liked their food, which was a nice touch. You can tell that Lola and Joe put a lot of work and care into their restaurant, and it shows. I can't wait to go back!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank james_4690

milwaukee
“Dinner ”
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Yummy ......... Nice quite little place in a small strip mall. Pleasantly Surprised.....Everything made from scratch!! Really good wine also. Nice folks too! If your in the mood for Italian don't pass it up.

West Dover VT
“Worth seeking out in Columbus”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Staying in Gahanna for a friend's daughter's graduation, I found Lola's on Trip Advisor. Excellent. We had nibbled on cheese & wine before dinner so we went straight to the entrees. Unfortunately, the Braciole was sold out...someday. I tried the Salmone, a nice serving of perfectly medium rare fish with a hint of pomegranate and balsamic. The mushroom risotto and simply fresh asparagus were excellent accompaniments. My friend had the Cannelloni with pulled pork, kale & ricotta. Delicious! Her daughter tried the Baked Rigatoni- classic and tasteful. We had the house Chianti and a bit of garlic bread on the side. Dessert to share was an enormous square of amazingly tasty Tiramisu, mine with a double espresso. YUM! We all took leftovers, enough for a second meal. Tiramisu for breakfast, anyone? This is a tiny restaurant; my friend was quite surprised that the ambiance was "grandma's house," but our table in a small room off the main was special. Joe stopped by to ask how things were, and we spoke with Lola after dinner (who offered our "graduate" a free meal- impressive in that they had never met). I toured through the kitchen to reach the restroom and was warmly greeted by the staff. It's a true joy to dine in a restaurant where the staff and the owners seem to love their product. Last time I was in Columbus was 30 years ago, but I'd return for a dinner at Lola & Giuseppi's. I HIGHLY recommend it. And Heidi DID get her "graduation" dinner when she took her father there the following evening.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Holli S
Columbus, Ohio
“Best Italian in Columbus”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I grew up in an area known for its saturation of amazing small Italian restaurants and moved to Columbus, Ohio, where Italian generally means chain fare "big box" restaurants. As such, I really enjoyed our recent visit to Lola's. It took me home.

We ordered the house chianti, an appetizer called Giuseppe’s Pasta Fritto, lasagna and eggplant parm. We were too stuffed for dessert.

The Frito is basically a block of fried alfredo sauced spaghetti, served in a pool of marinara. It is huge and dense! Only order this if you are very hungry. It had a delicate cheese flavor, but was quite creamy. The fried crispy part was delicious and reminded me of PastaSalvi, another local favorite fried pasta. The problem for me was that the block was so large that the edges were hot but the inside was cool. That did not bother my husband who happily finished it. My eggplant parm was OUT OF THIS WORLD. It had a delicate panko breading and was cooked perfectly. It was served with a small serving of spaghetti with marinara sauce and perfectly cooked string beans. I will assume that the spaghetti was home made, although I saw no indication that it was. I would definitely order the eggplant again.

My husband thoroughly enjoyed his lasagna. The serving was huge. He commented that it was the best lasagna that he has had in Columbus, (mine excepted, of course, since he wants to stay married!) It easily could have served two people.

I think the perfect meal for two would be a salad each (which are offered a la carte) and a shared lasagna. Perhaps then we would have room to try the Tiramisu! Since there are so many delicious sounding entrees, there is no question that we will return.

Two glasses of wine, one appetizer and two entrees came to about $65 with tip.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank ChloesMomBetsey
Verona, Kentucky
“Lola's = Much better than any Italian chain rest.”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Upon arrival there was no room to stand inside the tiny waiting area to wait for a table (not even to put our name on the list). So...we braved the cold and stood outside for awhile until we could squeeze inside and get a table. Figured it must be worth the wait. We're glad we did. This little trattoria has so much more character than a chain restaurant. Nothing fancy but Lola speaks to everyone, is hilarious, and makes you feel at home. Our food was delicious but we were too filled to eat dessert so we took some to go. They ran out of the tiramisu (order early if you really want something!) probably because the portions are HUGE!! She should serve less dessert to make it last. Anyway, we took a slice of carrot cake back to the hotel and it was DELICIOUS. Worth going there for the dessert alone! Oh it was all decorated cute for V-Day too :)

• Visited February 2014