There are a number of buildings in the downtown Columbus area that are on the National Register of Historic Places due to their architectural style. I am not sure if this one is, but gratefully, I am glad that Marriott properties have elected to preserve it.
This building was completed in 1927 as the Buckeye Building and Loan (now, The Buckeye Building), just in time for the calamitous stock market crash of 1929, that one must assume doomed the aforementioned savings and loan company. A sample of the ledger is available to view on the wall in the lobby of the hotel, a classic for a business student like myself.
The best view of the first floor lobby and ceiling is from the cafe in the mezzanine. The sturdy looking columns and repeated patterns of simple features lend one to think of the strength that the financial institution wanted to project. The ornate fascia extends to the even entrance of the elevators.
The building is two to three blocks from the Scioto River, that carves its way through downtown. The city fathers have done an admirable job reclaiming and enhancing their waterfront asset. It is beautiful and lovely to walk around sunset. The visitor meets the replica of the "Santa Maria" moored on the river bank where Gay Street runs to the river.
The interior appointments of the hotel part are also interesting. What was once the vault now houses the kitchen and the breakfast bar. So, you can literally see the massive vault door on your way to toast a bagel.
All of the room decorations are modernized and pleasing, though are starting to show their age a little. The rooms are spacious with fantastic, big windows.
The staff is friendly and helpful. I would stay here again in a New York minute. No onsite kitchen is acceptable because of the volume of excellent eateries in the immediate area. One of them is the official room service of the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Inn Columbus Downtown hotel offers contemporary all-suite accommodations in the exquisitely renovated Historic Buckeye Building. This high-rise hotel in Downtown Columbus will impress you from the moment you arrive with the lobby's soaring 40-foot ceiling. Specializing in extended-stays, our Columbus hotel features newly renovated, spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens, living and work areas, luxury bedding and free Wi-Fi. In the morning, indulge in a variety of healthy and hearty favorites from our complimentary hot breakfast buffet. During downtime, work up a sweat in our state-of-the-art fitness center featuring free weights and cardio equipment with TV screens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Marriott, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Residence Inn Columbus Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Columbus Downtown Hotel Columbus
- Columbus Residence Inn
- Residence Inn Columbus Downtown Ohio