“Its good, Its bad and boy is it UGLY”
Review of The Lofts Hotel

The Lofts Hotel
Ranked #81 of 144 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Where to begin with this hotel. At first glance you would think that this is a beautiful hotel but dont judge a book by its cover. From the time we walked in we were not greeted at all by the "concierge" Erik so i was sure to take his business card to refer to in this review. After standing in the lobby for 10 minutes finally he decided to get off the phone and assist us. Checking in was a breeze and everything looked very chic. Until we got to our room. Room 2204 do not stay in this room. Nasty is the best word I can use to discribe it. It was filthy. Starting with the stained green blanket on the bed which was absolutly disgusting. When I went down to the lobby to advice Erik he replied "ok there are other blankets located in the armour" and im thinking are you kidding me? Needless to say nobody EVER came to replace the blanket which was smeared with what appeared to be ketchup. It sat on the floor by the door the entire trip. None the less i wasnt gonna let Erik nor the stained blanket ruin my time. Until i started looking around and noticed just how dirty the room was. Had my camera not been dead I would have taken pictures to verify and I might even go back just to do so. For starters, the shower/tub was turning brown in the cracks And the water pressure sucked no matter how much you changed the dial on top of when the person next door flushed their toilet (im supposing) the water got extremely cold. The walls were dirty smeared with handprints and dirt. There was a folded TV table up against the wall that had the same ketchup and was also just dirty. The window seals needed to be dusted and shined. Now normally i would not have noticed this but on the wall closest to the windows only half the wall is finished being painted. Its like where the headboard began they stopped painting and on top of that there is so much dust behind the headboard it only confirmed that housekeeping is not doing their jobs and neither is their manager. I have stayed in a many of hotels being a military spouse and having to travel and this was our first 4 star and if this is what 4 stars have to offer then i would like a downgrade back to 3 because at least at 3 stars they go out of their way to give you 5 star quality. I would love to go back and stay in Crowne Plaza since you have to use all their amenities anyway but since its a sister hotel it may be just as filthy. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone there are plenty of hotels in the same area like Hyatt and Drury Inn to name a few. We plan on staying in the Arena Distrct again before we PCS to Italy but we will not be staying at the Lofts. Im very disappointed in this hotel. And yes I would have packed my bags and left had not my husband planned this trip. But he was so excited about doing something special for me I didnt have the heart to walk out on his plans. So I endured and when I got home I took a nice hot shower to wash away the stress from that room.

Other than that l Arena Disrtict is above amazing and I really enjoyed my trip. Only thing this hotel has to offer is location oh yeah and the Aveeda products in the room. Nice touch. But Never again.
BTW when we left and went to dinner the first night the turn down service had taken the same nasty satined blanket off the floor and put it back on our bed at that point i gave up the fight.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RweThereYET0517

Reviewed May 26, 2010

I had booked a Deluxe Room with a garden tub. When I checked in, the coneirge did not tell me that my reservation had been changed. I got to my room, and with great disappointment, found a smaller room, with no soaking/garden tub. The carpet was frayed in spots, the air conditioner was so loud. I called down to the front desk to ask about my room, and I was told that they had some problems with the room that was reserved for me, so they moved me to another room, and gave me a $40 credit, and 2$12.99 vouchers to Max and Ermas for Breakfast. I had no choice but to accept the situation, but with great disappointment. I ordered later that evening some appetizers (Nachos) and a bottle of wine, and asked for it to be delivered to my room. They said it would be one hour. FOR NACHOS! So I asked them if I came down and picked them up would it be any sooner? 10 minutes. So I went down and picked up the order and paid for it with cash. Went over to the lounge at the Crowne Plaza for a couple of drinks, and could not get waited on by the bartender. He was to busy visting and not interested in servicing his customers.

I ordered Room Service for Breakfast from Max and Ermas for 8:30 am. Opened the door at 8:35 to see if they were coming yet, and the breakfat tray was sitting by the door. The coffee was COLD, and my breakfast sandwich was cold. My breakfast tray was all wet, with ice water that had been spilled and got the food all soggy. So needless to say I did not enjoy a very good breakfast!

Picked up the bill that was slid under my door and showed charges of $34 from Max and Ermas and $21. for valet parking. I had paid the $34. when I picked up the food. So I had to go and talk to the conceirge about my bill.

Will not stay again at the lofts. Was really looking forward to this stay, and soaking in that tub after a long day of business meetings, unfortunately never got that opportunity to make the decision about my room change, was auctomatically done for me without even being acknowledged. And no apology was even given.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
crownekate, General Manager at The Lofts Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2010

Dear Darlek,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor. You are correct, our garden tub suites are truly one of a kind, so I completely understand how disappointed you were when you did not receice your requested room type. I would like to extend my personal apologies on behalf of the hotel for not being able to deliver on your hopes of relaxing in the soaking tub after a long day of business meetings. I would also like to apologize for the inconviences you encountered with our hotel restaurant and bar. I have shared your comments with our food and beverage team as our hotel family is committed to continued service improvement. I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you in person about your experience and to invite you back to the hotel to prove our commitment to exceeding our guests' expectations. I can be reached in my office at 614-461-2658.

Reviewed May 22, 2010

We were put-off right off the bat because valet parking was $21 per night. Public parking in a garage was available, but it was $12 per night and we were told that if we wanted to come and go as we pleased, valet would be cheaper. They should have a disclaimer on their website saying that parking is not included with a hotel stay and I think it should be. The rooms were average - nothing special - like they seemed to say on their website. It seemed quite noisy at night. Also, I like darkness when I sleep and since they only have blinds, not curtains, it was quite bright at night. We were facing the parking lot, so the lights from the lot were shining right into our room. I believe we were hood-winked when we went down to breakfast at the attached Max & Erma's. We were simply told, "We're having a breakfast bar," and we were not given menus. It cost $13 per person and it was not good at all. Room service would have been cheaper! Then a couple that came in after us, received menus and we were very displeased. The stay was just okay. If we ever go back to Columbus, we won't stay here.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kjoe16
Reviewed May 18, 2010

The Lofts Hotel is a great find in Columbus. It's near the Convention Center, Nationwide, the Nationwide Arena and the Short Vincent street on High Street where there are good number of great restaurants.

The problem: I checked in as usual and got room 1150. The rooms are incredibly spacious with what seem like 20' ceilings,exposed beams and brick, Italian leather and comfortable beds. All this for a little more than $100 per night. Wow. But there was this sound of the air conditioning. It got louder. I had unpacked and had to rush off to a meeting. I should have changed rooms. It sounded like a 747 taking off. Bottomline: Miserable night. I was not in good shape. Later that morning I walked outside after complaining to the conceirge who said: "What? No way." Turns out the air conditioning condenser for the entire building is...you guessed it...over Room 5511.

Turn it into a storage bin, gentlemen. Very dissatisfied stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business

Dear JK22Chicago:

Thank you for being our guest at The Lofts Hotel and taking the time to review your experience at our hotel on tripadvisor. You are absolutely correct, our hotel is in the perfect location for any guest vising downtown Columbus. I agree, we have a great hotel. After reading your specific comments about room 5511, I asked our Director of Facilities to look into the noise that sounded like a "747 taking off in your room". You are correct, the hotel's cooling unit is on the roof of the hotel and room 5511 is on the top floor, however, the unit should not be making so much noise that is sounds like a plane taking off! Thank you again for your comments, as my team is committed to a culture of continuous service improvement. We hope to have you back, and I encourage you to reach out to me directly when booking your next reservation at 614-461-2658. I can definitely make a note on your profile that you do not prefer Room 5511!

Reviewed April 13, 2010

My husband and I went with great expectations, and were very disappointed. The room was lacking efficient lighting. The bathroom was beyond gross. There was hair in the tub, and on the floor, underneath the toilet was gross, and the floor appeared to lack any mopping. There was a balled up sandwhich wrapper under the nightstand. There was a busted outlet under the desk, and everything was dusty! We had a package deal and were disppointed when the champagne, rose petals and chocolates were not in our room upon arrival, as requested.
Being new to the area we would have appreciated some suggestions as to where to go and where to dine. We were not aware that there was a shuttle available until I read previous comments on here.

The breakfast buffet at MAx and Erma's, that was included with our stay was GROSS. I am glad I did not have to pay the $35 dollar bill. The bacon was like rubber and the french toast was ice cold. This was my first and last time at the Lofts.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
crownekate, General Manager at The Lofts Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2010

Dear farafam5:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Lofts Hotel on tripadvisor. I sincerely appreciate any feedback that will help improve my hotel and our team.

I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. In reviewing all of the other reviews on the tripadvisor, please know that this is not the typical experience at The Lofts Hotel. I have shared your comments with our entire team at The Lofts. My team is committed to continuous service improvement and is looking into the issues that were present during your stay as to not have another guest experience them as well.

Please know that I am at your service, and would like the opportunity to discuss your stay and have the opportunity to recover from your disappointment. I can be reached directly in my office at 614-461-2658.

Reviewed April 6, 2010

We stayed at the Lofts Hotel on our trip to Columbus for a hockey game. The hotel is located in the Arena District of Columbus and is a 5 minute walk from Nationwide Arena. We stayed in a suite that had 2 beds and it was very roomy. Our friends stayed in a suite with a King bed and also had plenty of room. Both rooms were extremely clean and well decorated. The beds and pillows were both comfortable and the flat-panel TV's had several channels.

We ate dinner at the Max & Erma's that was connected to the hotel and my friends also got breakfast there. They said the breakfast buffet was OK but not great.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel. They usually have some specials going on, so their rates are very reasonable. It is located within walking distance of many of the restaurants, bars and shops in the Arena district. It is also a very clean and well-run property.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends

Dear LeBeauBG:

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Lofts. I agree with you that we are indeed an excellent option for staying in the Arena District! I look forward to having you as our guest again soon!

Reviewed March 4, 2010

My boyfriend and I have stayed at The Lofts several times and they have never failed to disappoint! The noise in the rooms has never been an issue, the amenities are perfect, location could not be better! Definently go for room service breakfast---nothing better than great food delivered to the door that you can eat in bed and then go back to sleep :) We go to The Lofts a couple of times a year when we need to disappear from kids, work, etc. and we tell NO ONE where we are (kids can find on cell of course!) It has become our secret escape with each other when life gets too crazy. Last July we went for Red, White and BOOM which was also my boyfriend's birthday, I had no gift and the concierge suggested a robe from The Lofts. When we checked in and got to the room, they had the robe laid out on the bed with a card, I didn't even ask them to do that but they saved the day! Concierge is also very good at suggesting places to go for entertainment. Our next weekend is scheduled for April, reason? None! Just want to escape and be pampered!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear susan45656:

Thank you for taking the time to tell the world about being a Raving Fan of The Lofts Hotel. I am proud to say that I am one as well. I agree, The Lofts is an excellent choice for a "getaway in the city". Nothing is as heavenly as breakfast in bed with the one you love in a truly unique downtonw loft setting. I look forward to having you as our guest again soon!