“Great boutique property - plan ahead for valet service”
Review of The Lofts Hotel

The Lofts Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Columbus B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“Great boutique property - plan ahead for valet service”
Reviewed October 6, 2009

A very nice boutique property in a great location - walkable to Arena District nightlife, prompt and attentive housekeeping service, and an exceptionally unique room in a historic property. Exposed brick walls and luxury accents including Aveda bath products made my stay a pleasure. Walls between adjoining rooms were a touch thin; normal conversations could be heard between rooms.

A *tremendously huge* downside to this hotel was the valet service, which is shared with The Lofts' sister property, Crowne Plaza.

Valet staff were difficult to locate, seemed generally lackadaisical about their duties, and seemed generally understaffed. (For appearances alone, how about you boys try RUNNING at least until you're out of eyesight instead of sauntering off to get vehicles? And with not one but 2 wedding parties plus an entertainer and his entrourage as guests, how about adding a few extra staff to the night?)

At check-out, valets simply refused call-down service - instead requiring all guests to queue at the valet desk while cars were very slowly brought up.

Attention seemed to focus on inbound guests and luggage assistance (tips, anyone?) than with expediting retreival of vehicles. For $21 a day, a guest needn't wait over 20 minutes for a car to be retrieved. Not even at a large convention hotel in LA do you wait this long.

Should I stay again, I'll go with the much cheaper self-park option.

My poor valet experiences were not isolated - Over 3 days I retrieved my car 9 times - and each retreival was met with similar delays.

The Lofts has the potential to provide a very attentive, 4-star experience. They just need to tighten up the service aspects a bit.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sean H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We stayed at The Lofts for a footbal game at OSU.The hotel is located in a converted warehouse in the Arena District. It is right next to the Crowne Plaza, the hockey arena, convention center, several other hotels and geat restauants. The rooms were huge and modern, yet warm. If you like upscale modern, this is the place. The staff could not have been friendlier or more professional. There is a sports bar on the ground floor with good food. There is no question that this is my new favorite in Columbus.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
United States
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Really cool, S P A C I O U S loft style hotel. Great restaurant attached for early breakfast,
Almost wanted to move in! Very clean, no noise problem. Super-nice staff, super-nice town!

1 Thank btwrd
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Beautiful room. One of the nicest I have stayed at. One night only. Very drunk when I came in from a party, so I cannot comment on the noise. I slept like a baby. Also, forgot my glasses the next morning. They found them and mailed them to me at my expense. I deserved that......

1 Thank Mushvandal
Seattle, WA
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Noise, noise, noise. The Lofts have walls which are amazingly thin. Never before have I been able to hear my neighbors with such clarity. They weren't shouting or raising their voices in any way...just chatting at normal levels. This was at midnight on what was supposed to be the first of three nights for me. I called reception and one hour later was moved to sister (and adjoining hotel) the Crowne Plaza.

I'm sound asleep at 1.35am....until a noise, not unlike that of a chainsaw, begins to roar from beneath my room and/or window. I call reception. They tell me that it's the lobby carpet being cleaned. They agree that it's unbelievably noisy and say that the work can only be done when nobody is stepping on the carpet....but it should be finished shortly. 30 minutes later, the din ends. I go back to bed. It starts 10 minutes later and continues for a further 15 minutes. It's now 2.35am and my alarm clock is set for 7.30am and a full day of business ahead of me.

To add insult to injury, I awake to discover that my Crowne Plaza room has no running cold water. Only hot. Scorching hot.

The Lofts - never again. Ever.
Crowne Plaza - passable, but only just. Noisy room doors, no soundproofing to hallways, carpet cleaning situation is just nuts.

Both hotels had very attentive staff though.

columbus, ohio
Reviewed June 2, 2009

On May 30th my wife and I spent our honeymoon night at The Lofts. We expected a quiet and relaxed evening after a busy afternoon wedding celebration. We got a different experience.

I made my reservations a couple of weeks in advance and was treated with great professionalism by the staff. I was looking forward to the evening. However, when I went to check in on Saturday at noon, things began to change.

The meters in front of the hotel we all bagged, on a Saturday afternoon. I had to park across the street, and was accosted by a homeless person – which left me more irritated than uncomfortable. When I mentioned the situation to the staff after I lugged my bags across Nationwide Boulevard, I was told that there was construction being done on the Hyatt skywalk, over 100 yards away. Ok, fine. I could not help noticing that the meters were still bagged on Saturday night, and may have also been on Sunday morning. What was the story there?

When I checked in the room looked fine, but I was extremely disappointed that it cost ten bucks for wi-fi. While I had no plans on going online in the evening, it would have been helpful to make some last minute checks of email before the wedding as there was at least one cancellation that needed to be addressed. I can go to Wendy’s and get free wi-fi, how come I can’t get free wi-fi at The Lofts?

Returning to the room in the evening brought more little things that were wrong. I decided to use the valet service and was treated rather abruptly by the valet when I asked him what I thought was a simple question.

When we went upstairs to the room the key did not work. This was very bad form. I had to inconveniently go all the way back downstairs, leaving my wife by the door with our bags. Then I was told rather casually that the key may have been demagnetized by a cell phone. I do not have a cell phone, but was in no mood to discuss this and went back to the room after the key was repaired.

We are not coffee drinkers but enjoy tea. My wife is Scottish. Having a choice of only two bags of tea was quite cheap. That, and having to boil water using the coffee maker made our tea taste like coffee.

We were also not impressed by the noise level of the room. We felt as if we were sleeping in the middle of a factory.

Our experiences at The Lofts had two plusses, the bed was quite comfortable and the bathroom was very well equipped. The rest was quite lacking, a lot of style and very little substance. I really have no desire to stay here for any future special occasions and will definitely not recommend The Lofts for any out of town visitors.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2009

We have stayed at The Lofts twice now and both times have been great experiences. The Soho package is an amazing deal...champagne and chocolates, valet parking, and breakfast delivered to your room are all included. (we were supposed to have a rose petal turndown service that we did not receive, however). I honestly don't see myself staying anywhere else when my travels bring me to the C-Bus. I can't wait to see the renovations!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple