“Excellent: I don’t understand some of the poor reviews”
Review of The Lofts Hotel

The Lofts Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Columbus B&B and Inns
Yonkers
“Excellent: I don’t understand some of the poor reviews”
Reviewed February 23, 2009

I stayed at The Loft Hotel this past weekend and found it to be excellent.
I don’t understand some of the poor reviews. It is centrally located within working distance to the Nationwide Arena area which has plenty of bars and restaurants. The staff was excellent and very friendly. The Lofts is connected to the Crown Plaza which is it’s sister hotel so they share most services. Please note that after 11PM they share the reception desk. The rooms are nice, large, trendy, and very clean with comfortable beds. It is connected to a Max & Erma’s which is a great place to grab a burger and hang out with friends or watch a game or two. If there is one negative, is that yes the walls are a tad thin and you can hear people talk and TV noise from time to time but it really wasn’t that bad and I find common to many hotels.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank MikeGee1220
crownekate, General Manager at The Lofts Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2009
Thank you for sharing your comments with us and the world on tripadvisor.com regarding your recent stay at The Lofts Hotel.

I was pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations and you found our hotel to be excellent. I, too, love our location as it is the absolute best in Columbus. With only 44 guest rooms, our concierges really have the time to become personally acquainted with our guests to be able to service their needs to the utmost caliber.

I hope to have you as our guest again soon!

All My Best,

Kathyrn Burton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Irvine, California
Reviewed November 20, 2008

It's that time of year again. Ohio Star Ball - the largest ballroom competition! I was weary about staying at this hotel because of bad reviews but surprisingly my stay was great. Maybe it's the positioning of my room but I hear nothing - no noise at all. My windows are facing the parking garage and I'm pretty happy. I stayed at the Crowne Plaza next door, last year, and I'll never do that again. The Lofts were great for my trip. A little dusty here and there but I'll take it over the Crowne Plaza anytime.

Stayed November 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed July 14, 2008

I stayed at the Lofts for 4 nights over the weekend of the Arnold Classic. in Feb/March 2008. The hotel is ideally located for the exhibition centre and is linked via the Skywalk so you don't have to brave the cold outdoors.

The hotel itself is set in a converted historic office block with a bar and restaurant on the ground floor. The decor is therefore very much early 20th Century - bare walls and ceilings, antique looking bathroom furniture etc. The only letdown is that in an effort to make the hotel as 'authentic' as possible, the architects have given little thought to sound-proofing the rooms. You can therefore hear everything, and I mean everything, going on around you from above, below and the sides. The neighbour to my right had a habit of making whispering phone calls to his family at 6 am in the morning. This was approximately 30 minutes after his alarm had gone off. Below me on one night a group of gentlemen invited a few girls around and had a nice party that commenced shortly after midnight and went on until approximately 4 am. I was fortunate enough to be in my room the next afternoon when they reconvened to debrief the previous night's events. Thankfully things had gone pretty much the way I had imagined them!!

During my stay I needed to call on the hotel receptionist a couple of times for assistance (lost bags etc) and I must say their response was excellent. The reception however isn't always manned and closes in the evening. Out of hours you can use the reception at the next door sister-hotel, the Crowne Plaza, but be prepared for them to look at you like you've got some food or something on your face.

I had breakfast and dined at the adjoining bar/restaurant on a few occasions and the waiting staff were unswervingly efficient and friendly.

All in all, a well-located hotel with friendly and efficient staff which would suit whatever the listening equivalent of a 'voyeur' is!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
New Hampshire
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We're the kind of people who ALWAYS see the bright side of things...however...it was darn near impossible with this experience. The room itself was a nice looking converted old warehouse but the walls were paper thin and the doors did not have dampeners on them as they closed. It was a VERY unrestful stay because we heard neighbors having VERY loud sex late at night (we thought someone was being murdered), could hear TV's and human chatter all night, and people in the hall kept slamming their doors late at night. We will NEVER, EVER stay at the Lofts again. It ranks as the single worst hotel experience we've ever had. What a shame......

• Liked — The charming room interior.
  • Disliked — The paper thin walls, rude guests, slamming doors and constant noise.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank renothecat
Redwood City, CA
Reviewed June 21, 2008

We liked that the hotel was non-smoking - that's a MAJOR plus in this city. It's in a great location - right across from the convention center, in downtown.

The rooms were slightly above average. They oversell the loft aspect of the rooms. Sure the beams are exposed in the rooms, but who really cares?

The bed was very comfortable. The windows do not open and there really aren't any good views from the hotel.

It's linked to the Crowne Plaza next door (is it a Holiday Inn hotel?).

Valet parking costs $21 per night - a little high for this neighborhood.

• Liked — Good location, smaller hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RalphandMark
New York
Reviewed March 25, 2008

With the help of a wonderful front desk manager named Casey, I booked the SoHo package that featured a 2-night stay in suite 5501. This top floor, gigantic space had my girlfriend and me feeling like royalty. Everyone we encountered over the weekend was incredibly friendly, helpful, and anxious to help us have a great time. Complimentary champagne and rose petals on the bed each night were nice touches, but the size and grandour of the room stood out. I subsequently found out that several celebrities had stayed in 5501 and I understand why! Five stars, *****, my highest rating and a good reason to visit Columbus again soon. I have no idea what happened with past reviewers but The Lofts hit a home run for me. Thanks, Casey!

Michael, New York NY

• Liked — Room size, service quality
  • Disliked — No night desk clerk
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Cleveland
Reviewed March 17, 2008

My hubby and I stayed here on our first overnight away from our daughter. We were looking forward to night of veging out, watching movies and, most importantly a quite night's sleep. We both prefer "boutique" hotels to chains so we were happy to discover the Lofts. However, none of this happened.

I had booked a "garden tub" room and the "5th Avenue Package" which included room massages, dinner gift certificate, champagne and chocolate turn down service and room service breakfast. We were told at check in that the tub room had physical damage from the previous guest and was unusable. Instead they gave me suite and a discounted rate. Fine with me. The room they gave us was next to the damaged room.

Upon entering the room, we were impressed. It was a large, two-room suite with a nice bathroom. However, upon further inspection found the bill from the previous guest laying on the floor under the table, 2 discarded beer bottle caps on the sofa and toothpaste splatter on the bathroom walls. Oh well, we figured the room seemed pretty clean otherwise. The stay started out fine. We had our massages, and headed out to dinner. Upon returning we found our champagne and chocolates and decided to watch a movie. Too bad the movie service didn't work on our TV. We called down and they tried to remotely fix the problem with no luck. They sent someone to the room to do the repair but still couldn't get it to work.

We decided to fill out our breakfast order for room service before turning in and when I grabbed the pen from the desk it was covered in something sticky - that smelled like tobacco. I had to wash my hands 6 times to get the smell off. So, we finally go to sleep content in the fact that there would be at least a solid 8-hours ahead of us. I woke up at 1:00 to the sounds of voices in the hall which lasted about 10 minutes. Then, after a few minutes of silence I we can hear a TV. Not muffled, it sounds like the TV in our room is on with no picture. After trying to figure it out we discover it's coming from the room next door - the room that is supposed to be unusable! And the walls are so thin we can hear everything. I call the front desk and they obviously call the guy in the room next door as we can hear every word he says. Then he turns his TV up!

I decide to go downstairs in person and find that I have to cross the driveway outside to the Crown Plaza as they share a night clerk. Fine - I go over and had to wait 5-7 minutes before someone came out of the office behind the desk. I explain my problem and he said there is nothing he can do. I am livid at this point so I ask to check out (remember that it's about 1:30 AM at this time). I tell him I will pay for the package items that we used but won't pay for the room. He tells me he can't access the Loft's system from the Crown Plaza and there is nothing he can do.

Fine - I get the name and card of the GM while my husband calls another hotel. The clerk prints my bill which shows a bogus $70 food/beverage charge which I dispute and ask him to produce a signature for the charge. He tells me the stack of bills is too big to go through right now. I write "DISPUTED" in large letters on the food/beverage bill and check out. We left at about 2:00 AM.

After leaving messages for the GM, the assistant GM and the Guest Services Manager, we received a call from the Guest Services Manager the following evening. After hearing all my complaints he refunded the entire package price in full and offered me a discount on my next stay. He did tell me there is a planned renovation which will address the "thin wall issue", but I doubt I'll be going back.

It was an okay experience...there were some horrible things but they did do right by me so I can't bad mouth them too much. If I ever stayed there again I would ask for an isolated room.

It's too bad I had such a bad experience because they have lots of potential. Cute building with great details. Nice-sized rooms and a good assortment of packages. Great location. They just need to get their act together and some thicker walls.

• Liked — Room layout, historic features, location
  • Disliked — Staff, paper thin walls, dirty rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple