“Worst Hotel Experience Ever”
Review of The Lofts Hotel

The Lofts Hotel
Ranked #81 of 146 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We're the kind of people who ALWAYS see the bright side of things...however...it was darn near impossible with this experience. The room itself was a nice looking converted old warehouse but the walls were paper thin and the doors did not have dampeners on them as they closed. It was a VERY unrestful stay because we heard neighbors having VERY loud sex late at night (we thought someone was being murdered), could hear TV's and human chatter all night, and people in the hall kept slamming their doors late at night. We will NEVER, EVER stay at the Lofts again. It ranks as the single worst hotel experience we've ever had. What a shame......

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank renothecat

Reviewed June 21, 2008

We liked that the hotel was non-smoking - that's a MAJOR plus in this city. It's in a great location - right across from the convention center, in downtown.

The rooms were slightly above average. They oversell the loft aspect of the rooms. Sure the beams are exposed in the rooms, but who really cares?

The bed was very comfortable. The windows do not open and there really aren't any good views from the hotel.

It's linked to the Crowne Plaza next door (is it a Holiday Inn hotel?).

Valet parking costs $21 per night - a little high for this neighborhood.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RalphandMark
Reviewed March 25, 2008

With the help of a wonderful front desk manager named Casey, I booked the SoHo package that featured a 2-night stay in suite 5501. This top floor, gigantic space had my girlfriend and me feeling like royalty. Everyone we encountered over the weekend was incredibly friendly, helpful, and anxious to help us have a great time. Complimentary champagne and rose petals on the bed each night were nice touches, but the size and grandour of the room stood out. I subsequently found out that several celebrities had stayed in 5501 and I understand why! Five stars, *****, my highest rating and a good reason to visit Columbus again soon. I have no idea what happened with past reviewers but The Lofts hit a home run for me. Thanks, Casey!

Michael, New York NY

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2008

My hubby and I stayed here on our first overnight away from our daughter. We were looking forward to night of veging out, watching movies and, most importantly a quite night's sleep. We both prefer "boutique" hotels to chains so we were happy to discover the Lofts. However, none of this happened.

I had booked a "garden tub" room and the "5th Avenue Package" which included room massages, dinner gift certificate, champagne and chocolate turn down service and room service breakfast. We were told at check in that the tub room had physical damage from the previous guest and was unusable. Instead they gave me suite and a discounted rate. Fine with me. The room they gave us was next to the damaged room.

Upon entering the room, we were impressed. It was a large, two-room suite with a nice bathroom. However, upon further inspection found the bill from the previous guest laying on the floor under the table, 2 discarded beer bottle caps on the sofa and toothpaste splatter on the bathroom walls. Oh well, we figured the room seemed pretty clean otherwise. The stay started out fine. We had our massages, and headed out to dinner. Upon returning we found our champagne and chocolates and decided to watch a movie. Too bad the movie service didn't work on our TV. We called down and they tried to remotely fix the problem with no luck. They sent someone to the room to do the repair but still couldn't get it to work.

We decided to fill out our breakfast order for room service before turning in and when I grabbed the pen from the desk it was covered in something sticky - that smelled like tobacco. I had to wash my hands 6 times to get the smell off. So, we finally go to sleep content in the fact that there would be at least a solid 8-hours ahead of us. I woke up at 1:00 to the sounds of voices in the hall which lasted about 10 minutes. Then, after a few minutes of silence I we can hear a TV. Not muffled, it sounds like the TV in our room is on with no picture. After trying to figure it out we discover it's coming from the room next door - the room that is supposed to be unusable! And the walls are so thin we can hear everything. I call the front desk and they obviously call the guy in the room next door as we can hear every word he says. Then he turns his TV up!

I decide to go downstairs in person and find that I have to cross the driveway outside to the Crown Plaza as they share a night clerk. Fine - I go over and had to wait 5-7 minutes before someone came out of the office behind the desk. I explain my problem and he said there is nothing he can do. I am livid at this point so I ask to check out (remember that it's about 1:30 AM at this time). I tell him I will pay for the package items that we used but won't pay for the room. He tells me he can't access the Loft's system from the Crown Plaza and there is nothing he can do.

Fine - I get the name and card of the GM while my husband calls another hotel. The clerk prints my bill which shows a bogus $70 food/beverage charge which I dispute and ask him to produce a signature for the charge. He tells me the stack of bills is too big to go through right now. I write "DISPUTED" in large letters on the food/beverage bill and check out. We left at about 2:00 AM.

After leaving messages for the GM, the assistant GM and the Guest Services Manager, we received a call from the Guest Services Manager the following evening. After hearing all my complaints he refunded the entire package price in full and offered me a discount on my next stay. He did tell me there is a planned renovation which will address the "thin wall issue", but I doubt I'll be going back.

It was an okay experience...there were some horrible things but they did do right by me so I can't bad mouth them too much. If I ever stayed there again I would ask for an isolated room.

It's too bad I had such a bad experience because they have lots of potential. Cute building with great details. Nice-sized rooms and a good assortment of packages. Great location. They just need to get their act together and some thicker walls.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kate77Cleveland
Reviewed February 28, 2008

It wasn't BAD, but it sure wasn't great. The idea of the hotel was pretty cool - modern, urban, etc. However, they really missed on the details. The room was not really clean - toothpaste splatter on bathroom wall, coffee build up on top of mini-bar. Other minor things - key to mini bar nearly snapped off, hole in a bathroom towel, etc.
I also was a little surprised to find I had to request to have the room cleaned, even after I put out the "please clean" sign.
It was convenient to the convention center and the Arena district, but that was about the best part. It wasn't a terrible hotel, but for the money I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2008

We stayed at The Lofts Hotel in downtown Columbus, Ohio as a Valentine's celebration for myself and my husband.

We checked in and yes, the lobby is plain and boring. We were put on the 5th floor-the top floor of the hotel. I thought this would cut down on sound issues that previous posters posted.

We got in, the room was nice-but immediately we heard a couple having a conversation next door. We could hear EACH AND EVERY word they were saying. Not a dull mumble, but we could hear every detail of their entire coversation. While the room was great, I didn't like that at all. We called the front desk and he put us in another room on the 4th floor. The hotel employee was extremely nice and helpful. He met us up on the 5th floor to let us in our new room. Same type of room-just didn't have the extremely high ceilings, but we were ok with that. (they were still high with exposed duct work) We could still hear anyone outside of the room, but nothing from next to the room because he told us the rooms next to us were empty.

We had reservations at Morton's at 7:15 so we had about 30 minutes to hang out before heading over to the restaurant. My husband was sitting at the desk and I was sitting on the bed watching tv and a guy (another patron of the hotel) just walked in the room! Apparently they gave us his room and gave him his room! We called the front desk and it was quickly taken care of and apologies all around. (we were really ok with it-we totally understood it was an accident!) They gave us 25% off for the trouble, which wasn't necessary, but it was nice that they did that for us.

We went to Morton's, had a wonderful meal and then came back and ordered chocolate chip cookies (to die for!) from Max and Erma's from downstairs. They brought them to the room. Very very good. The bed was comfortable, we got a great night's rest and checked out at the last minute (11:50!).

It was really a great night, but honestly the sound issue is something that would keep me from booking at the lofts again. If you go, I would just ask if I could have a room with no one on either side. Otherwise, you are going to hear every word that the other people say!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank finleysmom
Reviewed September 11, 2006

I recently stayed at the Lofts for 5 days and really enjoyed my stay. I love the layout of the rooms and the service provided. I especially love the fact that it was more like a boutique hotel without all the traffic. The concierge (Natile) was most helpful. She recommended a wonderful hairstylist ( I was in town for a wedding) and even booked the appt. for me. She also provided me with passes for a state of the art fitness club (Arena Fitness) in the area which I think is owned by the same company that owns the hotel.
The rooms were clean and the workspace was great. The free wireless internet was a great addition. It enable me to get all of my work done. My cell phone reception in the room was great (Sprint is my carrier). I can't give a review of the room service or the hotel restaurants because I am a vegetarian and eat mostly organic foods, but I did request and was provided with a small refrigerator and microwave combo. There was a problem with the microwave which was resolved very quickly. They brought a replacement up to the room in a matter of minutes. By the way, for those of you healthnuts, there is a healthfood store within walking distance of the hotel. I suggest valet parking. It's pretty convenient. All and all, it was the best hotel stay I've ever had while visiting Columbus. I'll always stay there upon my return.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business