“A Wonderful Weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Columbus
German Village Guest House
Ranked #2 of 20 Columbus B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 16, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the German Village Guesthouse this past weekend. It was a great experience from initial contact through check-out.

The reservation process was easy and communications were clear and friendly. The Guesthouse was clean and well decorated. Every detail was well executed from fresh flowers, snacks available upon check-in, umbrellas available for our visit to a wonderful breakfast of fresh fruit. There was plenty of parking.

We had a great time walking around the neighborhood and had the opportunity to eat at several local restaurants. We had a great time and look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for German Village Guest House

Reviewed October 14, 2008

My husband and I were on a motorcycle trip through Ohio and had the German Village on our list of must see's. Upon reaching the motorcycle musuem just outside Pickerington we called the GVGH to see if they had any rooms available for that night. Luckily they did. By the time we reached the GH there was already a fresh jug of tea and cookies waiting on the counter. The outside of the GH is what you would expect to see in a historical area like the German Village. Very cozy looking on the outside and then you step in-side to a beautiful modern oasis. The rooms are sophisticated and comfortable with many personal touches. We loved the fresh flowers, candy dishes, water in the bedroom, Ohio Travel literature, robes, snacks and even supplies for making smores in their awesome outdoor fireplace. The continental breakfast was great, fresh fruit, bagels, coffee cake, yogurt, eggs and juices to choose from. The GVGH is very conveniently located for walking around the German Village. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2008

My husband went to school in Columbus and always talked about the German Village Area. So, when we had a family reunion to attend nearby I decided to surprise him with a room at the German Village Guesthouse. It far exceeded my expectations! We live in Dallas and it was about 100 degrees when we left. The guesthouse has a beautiful courtyard area with seating which we took full advantage of during our stay. It was so nice to be able to sit outside in late afternoon to read and talk. It is in a fantastic location and we were able to walk to Barcelona's for dinner (which we highly recommend and make sure to sit outside). Our room was on the first floor and basically right off of the kitchen. We felt so at home because their is a common eating/sitting area and a large kitchen with lots of goodies. Our hosts made us feel very welcome however gave us lots of space. The home is very modern and beautifully decorated. We felt that a lot of heart and soul was put into this B&B. My advice is to stay here and don't waste your money on a hotel downtown.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank greekgoddess-iwish
Reviewed October 24, 2007

I read about this Inn in our local paper and decided to give it a try. What a wonderful experience - truly different than the typical B&B. A small box with code allowed me to obtain my own key and come and go as I pleased. The room was perfectly decorated with wonderful bedding and a fabulous bathroom. Only negative was it did smell a little of those green tree deodarizers you hang in your car - although the room was super clean. Traffic noice did not bother me. I enjoyed having liberties to the stocked kitchen - grabbing a bottle of water, few cookies and nuts to hold me over to dinner. Everything - parks, shops, restaurants - were a short walk away. Or just stick around the house to relax in the beautiful garden. No one bothered me during my stay - owner was available, but did not intrude. Breakfast was nice with cereal, fresh fruit and english muffin (only one per person though). All in all - I felt like a pampered guest.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank Gentlewoman
Reviewed September 12, 2007

If you need a place to stay near Columbus and want a little something different, stay at the German Village Guesthouse.
We stayed in room #3 over-looking the garden and it was very nice and quiet. The room was large, with a desk in a small hallway. The house itself is old, but the owners have done alot of work and our room had a modern feeling. King bed, ceiling fan, fun decor, and a very modern bathroom.
Snacks were available in the kitchen at all times and breakfast was similar to what you would get at a continental breakfast at a motel, except GV had sliced fresh fruit!
We walked to Max & Erma's, the very first one ever built and to the Book Loft, which is alot of fun if you have a few hours to kill.
The only thing I would fix, if at all possible....a ledge in the shower. I dislike standing on my head to shave my legs!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank love_those_wings
Reviewed July 13, 2007

The Guesthouse was absolutely beautiful, impeccably designed and decorated and the garden is just tremendous. Little touches like the iced tea, fresh baked cookies, snacks, magazines, free DVDs, great robes and towels, were fabulous. Our afternoon there was fabulous. But, when it came to sleeping it was a different story.

We stayed in Room #2 (above the road) and the constant Friday night traffic on the brick roads kept me up all night (cars went by about every 15 seconds, until approx. 2am, and started up again around 4am). Between that and the really freezing A/C that ran all night, I unfortunately only got 1 hour of sleep. We actually cut short our next day plans and just drove home instead because we were so tired. I fear that I may have woken up the other guests when I got up as well, as you can hear the other guests coming and going.

If I had brought earplugs (or if the windows were more soundproof), and if there was individual room temperature control, I'd say the Guesthouse was completely perfect. Perhaps we just chose the wrong room.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank indianamusicmaker
Reviewed July 10, 2007

My husband and I have traveled to many locations more urban or exotic or well-known than Columbus, OH and have stayed at some great places. But, nothing prepared us for a trip back in time as we drove through pristine German Village and opened the door to this guesthouse. The house is beautiful and the backyard and garden is one of the prettiest I've ever encountered in an urban envrionment-- and I used to live in San Francisco!

As I was running around the backyard yelling at my husband to come out and enjoy it with me -- he was yelling at me to come into the kitchen. The kitchen is stocked with fruits and cereals and snack-bars for on-the-go travelers...not to mention the iced-tea and homemade cookies on the counter. The fridge is full of juices, bottled waters, and milk. For folks who love to stay at inns, but hate the whole formal breakfast aspect of it, this is *the* way to go. In the morning, there were fresh bagels, cream cheese, pastries (including one of the best coffee cakes I've ever had), and strawberries along with a carafe of coffee. We built our own plate, then sat at the table at our own leisure and enjoyed a civil breakfast all by ourselves. We even put in a great jazz CD that was supplied in the living room while we ate and read the paper. We really did feel like this was our borrowed home while we were there. John, the owner, lives right next door. He came over to welcome us and pointed us in the right direction for a good beer and eats (Easy Street Cafe) which was just a lovely stroll down the village streets to get to. German Village itself is a true gem.

I loved staying at this guest house and recommend it to anyone visiting Columbus.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business