“This Is Just Like A Home”

Candlewood Suites Polaris
Ranked #61 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed March 30, 2014

You often don't get to see how good a hotel property and its management is from an overnight, weekend or even a week stay. You really find out everything you want to know about the property and its management by being there everyday on the extended stay! Let me just tell you what I know and experienced about this property having lived here for an extended period.

I work between Maui, Hawaii and Ohio, with visits to Miami during the year, and it became impractical to keep up a house when all the kids are married and have homes of their own. Let's face it, cutting grass and planting and caring for flowers, pool and hot tub and the fear of break ends while we are away is a problem.

I didn't want a cell or monastic cubicle because I love to cook--sometimes, and wanted the ability to buy and keep dairy, meat and produce available for me when I leave and return to the Candlewood from travel. Do you know when you have made the right choice in an extended stay property? And, I ought to know: it's when you can cook Christmas dinner right in your own room! Most nights, I dont have to leave to eat, I can save money and unwanted germs from fast food or crowded eateries by cooking healthy meals right in my kitchen as I did at home!

I cant tell you how many times that I have smoked a ham or turkey on one of the two outdoor gas grills, as well as grilled steaks, chops and grilled delicate salmon and lobster [and corn on the cob, cabbage and hot dogs and sausage], and sat in a screened in gazebo watching it all cook. Then, we can eat everything right at one of the tables in a park like setting. This is just like a home!

Oh, say, what if you forgot breakfast items, or dairy, bread, dessert, or even snacks, or that one cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate in the morning. Just stop in the well stocked "honor" store on the first floor lobby and pick it up--and grab a free USA Today to read in the lobby area seating while watching the news or take to your room.

We love the smell and feel of the sea, and traveling to Maui and Miami gives me a lot of "water time". At this Candlewood, there is a wonderful well maintained secured pool with hot tub and attractive chaise chairs with towels on the deck to take that nap, or use tables to play cards, etc. This is just like a home!

There is an assortment of exercise equipment, including tread mills, weight and passive devices, with towels and a color TV to keep you company, and this is right next to the washer and dryer room were you can use for free while you exercise or watch the TV. Or, while you are washing clothes, or you get tired of using your own CPU or the printer connected to the free high speed Internet connection in your room--and wanted to socialize or if something happened to your equipment, there is a business center where you can surf the web, play games, print out work projects, or your travel documents. This is just like a home!

What I like too about this property is that it is clean inside and outside. I see the work of the maintenance person, not only picking up outside debris that inevitably flies on the property because of its location off a busy through street, but you see the hall carpets being shampooed and you see an army of housekeepers running sweepers on each floor, dusting doors, and they thoroughly deep clean rooms between guests. A guest here can go to the Desk anytime and request room towels, sheets, pillows, toilet paper, soap, even popcorn anytime! This is just like a home!

Finally, let me tell you about security. I feel safe! When my wife is here alone and I am away for weeks, she feels safe here! We are minutes off the I-270 freeway, and surrounded by the huge Polaris Mall where you can shop and eat practically around the clock. This means this area has the fastest response time for emergencies. Two major hospitals and a 24 hour ER campus is minutes away! During the huge storm last year that knocked off power across the state, this property's grid was the first restored.

I will close this review with a word about the staff and management. From the front desk staff that greet you to the housekeepers you almost trip over in the halls, you get the same honest greeting starting with the smile! Even when you learn that a lot of the staff do not speak English, your needs are met not only with the attempt to communicate, but they will get you somebody who can respond to you. The diversity of employment reminds you of the global shrinking we see everywhere, and there is a feel here of inclusion and of "family".

I have watched the Management handle crisis with serious skills, an example was one evening this month the elevator stopped working and the repairs could not be made immediately. Every guest got a notice pushed under the door appraising us of the situation and approximately when the repairs would be made, and we were given a rate reduction for each day AND staff were called in to help anyone checking in or out with luggage! I watched one night when a guest was checking in and the type of room requested was not available because of an unforeseen issue, the desk person accommodated that guest at a nearby competitor property, refunded the funds already paid--and because that property did not have a pool and hot tub spa that was the one feature the guests really wanted--the night manager authorized those folks to use the pool and facilities during their stay elsewhere!

In my view, Amber runs a tight operations and Mica Breese, the GM, are dynamic, everywhere and on top of this property! The maintenance and laundry people do an excellent job everyday. This why I can say most people that come here for a short stay dont get to see what is really here: a gem hidden in plain sight and worthy of being called "just like a home".

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the stairway so you can just walk up or down without having to go and wait for t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 59BillJ
Mica B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Polaris, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear 59BillJ,

Wow! Words cannot express how appreciative I am for the lengthy, kind, well-written review you gave our property. Thank you so much!! Guests like you and your wife are why we are here!

Best Regards as always,

Mica

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I have never stayed at a hotel with such a wonderful staff, that would go out of their way to make our stay even better. The group that I was with the past weekend had a problem with transportation, we called down to the front desk and spoke with Brad. When we asked about renting a vehicle to get around, he actually took time out of the day to contact Hertz and get a vehicle for us. We travel all the time and never has anyone ever done that for us.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Mica B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Polaris, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Kim,

Thank you so much for being our guest and taking the time to leave a review. I will make sure to give Brad the kudos he deserves for a job well done :)

We hope if you are back in the area, we will see you again!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I have stayed at a lot of hotels in the Polaris area...This place is great. The rooms are a great size, very clean. No issues at all. We arrived very late Thur. evening and the young lady that check us in, made us feel right at home. We love her!!! We will certainly stay her again!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Mica B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Polaris, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review! It made my morning to see such great comments about our new staff. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and took the time to let others know! We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the area! Thanks for being our guest!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

As a world traveler, I speak from years of staying at hundreds of hotel everywhere. The Candlewood is a good hotel with the accommodation that make a person feel like an extended home. What sets the Candlewood apart from the other hotels is the Staff. I am a long-term guest and I have been very impressed with Kristie L. with her professionalism and handling of my very unique long-term requests. Kristie has a genuine concern for all guests and I have been very satisfied here at Candlewood because of the world class service from her and the entire Staff. JR

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 4th floor, it is by far the most quite.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your kind words about our property and Kristie. We feel very lucky to have a director of sales with such passion at our hotel. I have shared your comments with her. Thank you for being our guest and taking the time out of your busy day, to leave a review of our propety. It means the world to us!

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed for about 2 months here. The staff was very friendly and personal. Amine, the supervisor, went out of his way to make sure the stay was comfortable. During my stay there was a fire but the staff kept calm and made sure every one was okay and the rooms in good condition. I unfortunately had to move rooms but the Amine got some staff together to help me move my things. The entire gesture made things so much easier. This hotel is also in a prime location in Polaris. It is encompassed by great restaurants and a well equipped mall.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Eddie,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and commend Amine. We appreciate you being our guest and will make sure to pass your kind words to Amine.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel overnight the past weekend. The rooms were nice and clean. The staff was great and made our stay worth it. The elevator was down so Brad offered and then carried our luggage up to the fourth floor. By morning the elevator worked and the manager made the adjustments for the inconvenience.

The staff is great!!!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Mica B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Polaris, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you so much for staying at our property and taking the time to leave a review. I apologize again for the inconvenience the elevator being down created for our guests. I am glad Brad was there to help! We hope to see you again on your next visit to Columbus!

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I first came to the Candlewood Suites in Polaris when my son was looking at colleges during his last year of high school. He is now finishing up his Junior year at Otterbein University, and we've continued to book rooms here for many reasons. First, and most importantly to me, it is always clean, from the bathtub to the linens and throughout the kitchenette. The property is extremely convenient, right in the heart of endless Polaris shopping and just a couple of blocks off of Route 71. A very pleasant environment, there isn't a restaurant that I can think of that doesn't have a presence here, and it's 10 minutes from Otterbein University, half an hour from OSU's Columbus campus. Additionally, although my small dogs are always welcome, you would never know the property accepts pets from the cleanliness angle - no odors! And it's always quiet - the sound proofing is very good and we have never had any problems, even when the place is sold out. The hotel is the best deal in town - for the extremely reasonable rates, you get a good sized kitchenette, which of course allows you to save even more money if you want to. Last but most certainly not least, has been the recent rather startling improvement in the staff. In the past, I would have said that was the one thing missing - the staff was neither helpful nor pleasant. The owner has taken control and cleaned house staff from top to bottom, and the results are amazing. I haven't encountered a single person here, from front desk staff, to maintenance and cleaning staff to management and ownership, who have not been incredibly kind and wonderful to work with. They are efficient, pleasant and very helpful, and I had the opportunity to tell this to the owner of the property on this visit. He highly impressed me with his dedication to making this the best hotel it can be. He is reinvesting in the property; on my trip to Ohio last week they were measuring the halls for all new carpeting, and the owner told me that in less than 30 days now there will be all new bedding and beds throughout the property. More improvements are planned. I'll end by saying that this is the very first time I have EVER taken the time to write a review (though I shouldn't be proud of that of course), but this hotel is well worth it. I only hope they will still have rooms available when I visit next! I've had reason to be here for over 12 nights over two trips in the past two weeks, due to my son being ill. They have gone the extra mile every time; on both trips I've needed to extend my stay, during periods which were sold out. But they found me space both times, and on this trip even upgraded my room at the same rate when they didn't have the room available for the nights I needed. All in all, I give the Candlewood Suites Polaris an A+rating. I've tried other hotels in the area, some much more costly, but this is the only place we want to stay!

Room Tip: I've found any room they have given me to be fine,
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

CK,

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement and such a positive review. We value you as our guest and hope with all our heart your next visit will be one of relaxation and fun for you (and your family). We so much appreciate you letting everyone know how hard our team is working and look forward to seeing you on your next stay.

Best Regards!