“Disappointing Stay”

Ranked #68 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Disappointing Stay”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I come to the Polaris area several weeks a year for work. This trip I chose the Candlewood Suites. When I arrived, the front desk employees were friendly and helpful, and check-in was quick. When I first entered my room, I was overwhelmed by the odor of cleaning chemicals; the smell was strong enough it was initially difficult to breathe. The room itself is large with a nice kitchen. The bed was just average, but pillow selection was good.

The first time I left my room and returned my key did not work. This happened three times my first night, and continued to occur even after the maintenance worker showed up to fix the problem. Between the overpowering odor in the room and the key issues, I requested another room, but the hotel was full.

I have stayed at several of the nearby hotels and for the same price I would recommend any of the following over the Candlewood Suites: The Holiday Inn Express Polaris, The Four Points Sheraton Polaris, or the Hilton Garden Inn Polaris. Of these, I like the Holiday Inn Express the
best.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Polaris, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear Mike W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online. It is nice to know that your check-in experience went smoothly. However, I regret that this stay was less than satisfactory on many levels particularly with your room being a disappointment. Please be assured that your feedback will be used to consider for improvements needed.

Again, thank you for your time in writing us a review and we certainly apologize for the shortcomings.

Regards,

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I really enjoy this hotel and stay here at least once every two months. There are A LOT of other hotels within walking distance but I prefer this one. The two full bed rooms are large and have a full kitchen. The place is usually clean and the staff is usually great. My last stay though(12-21-13) proved to be a problem. Everything was great until I walked into the bathroom and found three little flat bugs running around the countertop. This usually doesn't bother me if I a 1 bug but three means there are a lot more not seen. I quickly got rid of them. Everything else in the room was as always, good. When I checked out I forgot my phone charger and didn't realize it. I called the front desk and they said they would check and call me back. Neither happened. I called later and was told they would check again. By this time I was back in town and went to the hotel because I never got a call back again. They let me check out my room which was all ready cleaned and the charger was gone. The gentleman at the front desk tole me he would note it in the log and talk to the cleaning staff when they came in. this made no sense because they were on two different shift. Either way I am out a phone charger. In the grand scheme its no major loss but it would have been nice if they would have done what they said they were going to do. All in all I still would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank swimswsharks9
Mica B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Polaris, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
I'm so sorry you experienced problems during your stay. We do value you as our guest and I would love the opportunity to make the problems you experienced right. Please email me the specs on your charger, so I can look in our lost and found or find a replacement. I will also notify housekeeping of the insects found in a room. If you could also provide your room number via email, that would be most appreciated. I hope to hear from you soon! Mica Breese, GM mbreese@candlewoodsuitespolaris.com
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Decent stay considering the price and location. You simply can't fine a more affordable place with this kind of dining and shopping literally next door and across the street (in a classy, safe suburban area). You could walk, but given the traffic and parking lots, you should plan on having a car to fully get around. The hotel itself is not a premium property. The rooms feel dark and dated, and the mattresses and pillows are not great quality. We had a 2-dbl suite and still had a full-size fridge, dishwasher, microwave, sink, countertop, desktop, recliner, TV, and DVD player. The bathroom amenities include a Candlewood branded shampoo-plus-conditioner, and 2 small (lackluster) bars of soap. Bathroom was roomy and clean with several drawers for longer stays. The pool area and fitness rooms are nice; the lobby isn't one you'd ever lounge in.

Overall, the rooms are adequate but do not feel luxurious or special, the area is great, and the price was much better than the pricier options next door for our short 3-night stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Polaris, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear JETSETG,

I am happy that you took the time to review your recent visit with us. It is nice to know that our location was of convenience and the pool area and fitness facility met your liking. I am sorry if the room you were allocated did not completely meet your liking. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Pam G
Salem, Virginia
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Great stay for the price. Paid less than $80 with my corporate discount. Nice bedding and comfortable pillows. Clean room, clean bathroom, plenty of workspace, and nice LG flat screen TV. Location is great with plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby. Quaker Steak & Lube is across the street from the hotel, great wings. Nice fitness center with a commercial grade cable machine and nice cardio equipment. This is my second stay at this hotel and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Mica B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Polaris, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you for your rave review! We look forward to seeing you again :)
Big Island, Virginia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Mr. Sony (the owner) came and greeted me on our second day, just to see how we were doing and if we needed anything- explained why the pool was temporarily closed and stressed to let him or the staff know if there was anything that could make our stay better. Made me feel so special! We come to the area about once a year and this is our second time staying @ the Candlewood just because last year was so nice and am happy to say that this visit was just as nice-nicer even! Wonderful place clean!!! friendly helpful staff and comfort all round. Definitely recommend you stay here :) There is not a restaurant in the hotel but you are literally surrounded by restaurants( fast food, sit downs and even some $$$) and the mall is right across the way so yay shopping!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for leaving a review of our property! We would like to inform you, we are under new management and invite you back to the property to see what’s new! We hope you like the changes and will let us know!

Best Regards,

Mica
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Everytime I come to this place feels like home I come to this hotel maybe 20 times a year just never actually rate it so thought I would this time keep up the good work!!! Great job love your beds very comfy!

• Stayed September 2013

Best Regards,

Mica
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was out of a lot of things such as water and coffee but the rooms were spacious and the towels were really nice. The bed was very comfortable and actually had a good amount of blankets which can be rare at hotels. It was great for the price.

• Stayed September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Polaris, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Erika R,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again.

Connie D
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Comfort Inn North Polaris
Comfort Inn North Polaris
#40 of 143 in Columbus
Extended Stay America - Columbus - Polaris
Residence Inn Columbus Polaris
Four Points by Sheraton Columbus - Polaris
Cambria hotel & suites Columbus - Polaris
Fairfield Inn & Suites Columbus Polaris

Been to Candlewood Suites Polaris? Share your experiences!