“very noisy hotel - if you have someone above you”

Candlewood Suites Polaris
Ranked #63 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I am currently staying at this hotel on business (17 nights) and have a convenient room on the 1st floor. Although there are a lot of nice features (free laundry for one), the sound coming from above is unbearable when the person above me walks around. It is not too bothersome mid day, but when they get up (in my case, they are awake everyday at 4:30am), I can hear EVERY step they take. I'm not blaming the heavy footed person above me - when I mentioned it to the front desk, they said they get a lot of complaints about that. This person must be very fit, I can count the number of steps they take from one side of the room to another....over and over again. I have tried earplugs but the sound seems to resonate through the walls and ceiling, it's not just the sound......it's reverberation!
I have stayed in many many hotels - I travel constantly for business, have NEVER stayed in a place where I was able to count the steps of the person above me - EVER. Surely there is a way to have made this hotel more comfortable for anyone below someone else.
I haven't had a good night sleep since I arrived and even though there are many nice features in this hotel - for this reason I cannot give it a good review.

Room Tip: don't stay on any floor that has someone else above
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Junker1079
Mica B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Polaris, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thank you for leaving a review of our property! We would like to inform you, we are under new management and invite you back to the property to see what’s new! We hope you like the changes and will let us know!

Reviewed June 29, 2011

I have been a Platinum member of Priority Club for several years which means I stay in a lot of Hotels . I don't recall ever being greeted so rude. In addition to the rudeness they tried to charge me a rate MUCH higher than the confirmed rate which I had made on their Web Site. My stay was to be for 4 nights however I will stay for one night only(tonight) because I have no other options but I will check out tomorrow morning and NEVER come back.

Room Tip: Bring a printed copy of your rate confirmation
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank GeorgeHermitageTN

Reviewed June 14, 2011

The candlewood at Polaris is one of my favorite places to stay when I'm in Columbus for work. It's right on the main drag and across the street from the mall and several restaurants. Every room is a suite with a queen bed, full kitchen, and updated bathrooms. The rooms are very clean. The only update I would suggest is a flat screen tv. I like candlewood because housekeeping isn't in my room everyday and I don't have to worry about my things being rummaged through.

• Stayed: June 2011

Reviewed March 27, 2011

I spent three days in March, 2011. Very good experience. I really appreciated the commissionary run on "the honor" syste. Wasn't lways fubling for dollar bills or pocket chance

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pobert

Reviewed February 18, 2011

While my first night stay with Candlewood Suites located on Lyra Avenue was wonderful. I was appalled to the interaction with the General Manager with Candlewood Suites. He was rude and demonstrated less than general manager professionalism than I was expecting. Due to this problem, I cancelled my additional night with Candlewood Suites ( 4 additional nights ) and a future booking of 10 rooms for my daughter's wedding to be held in May. As a result of me leaving before my 24 hour stay with Candlewood Suites, I was charged for two days. It is so sad that this great place had a less than professional manager to work there. I will make sure none of my friends or other families will be staying at this location.
Signed, one disappointment customer of Candlewood Suites -Polaris .

Minda Kay McCoy-Qualls

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sadcustomer02182011

Reviewed October 21, 2010

We are so happy to have discovered the Candlewood Suites chain on our roadtrip. On our trip we stayed at three different locations of this chain and each time had a very good experience.

We checked in with our three beagles with a small pet fee and no problems. We made our reservations on the road from about two hours away. The desk staff was friendly and helpful. The parking lot was well lit and there was a nice designated dog walking area.

Our room had a full size fridge, stove, dishwasher, dishes, etc. There was a workspace area, and a large tv with a DVD player. The room was spotless and smelled very good, especially for a smoking room. The bed was comfy. The hotel has a full pantry area (toiletries, snacks, tv dinners, etc.) and the prices are very reasonable (50 cents for a soda). There was a gym and a laundry facility with free washers and dryers.. you just provide the soap or buy some it the pantry. We had no outside or hallway noise in our stay. Several places for food, shopping, and gas nearby.

The only negative thing I can say about this chain is that you have to make ice with the icemaker in the freezer in your room. The icemaker is very slow. We just know now that when we stay with them we need to stop for a bag of ice nearby. Not a biggie for us.

After two stays in a Candlewood Suites we have decided that whenever we are on the road, dogs or not, it will be the hotel we look for first.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank moviejunki

Reviewed April 3, 2010

My husband and I love the Texas Roadhouse and thought for our anniversary it would be nice to stay near there so if we had a few drinks we could walk back to a hotel. (Also walking distance to Majic Mountain for the younger ones.) I booked the hotel and thought the price was great for a Saturday stay on short notice. The room was nice and just right for a family of 2, it was clean and the only problem was the toilet ran all might but we just shut the bathroom door. There is two computers on the 1st floor w free internet access and the pool was clean and got packed towards the end of the night. It was quiet to sleep and the bed was comfy. If you go there expecting someone to cater to anything- wake up calls, the free DVD library they advertise, directions etc. this is not the place for you. Often times there is no one at the front desk. If you can get around and don't need much service, it shouldn't be a problem.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple