“Ginormous Grilled Cheese with Extensive Topping Choices”
Review of Melt Bar & Grilled

Melt Bar & Grilled
Ranked #46 of 2,244 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Melt Bar and Grilled features gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches, craft beers and signature cocktails in an eclectic, relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. Featured on several national television programs and in countless publications, Melt puts a new spin on traditional bar food in a setting that is cool, fun and very unique. In addition to Melt's signature grilled cheese sandwiches, many vegetarian/vegan and gluten-free options, appetizers, salads and desserts are also available. Patrons may dine in, order take-out, or speak to a staff member about catering their next event. Melt Bar and Grilled is an independently owned and operated restaurant group based in Cleveland, Ohio. Melt was created in 2006 by owner/founder Matt Fish with the simple goal of providing great food and awesome craft beers in a very fun and unique atmosphere. Melt has grown from its humble small storefront beginnings to multiple regional locations with more organic growth planned. Melt continues to grow and prosper because of The Melt Family: The amazing staff and management team. Thank you and welcome to Melt!
Columbus, Ohio
“Ginormous Grilled Cheese with Extensive Topping Choices”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I heard about Melt from friends who have been to their original restaurant near Cleveland. If you love grilled cheese you will love this restaurant. I went on a Saturday afternoon, Melt is located in the Short North, an area that is extremely busy on the weekends. I was alone, so I managed to walk in and get a seat at the bar, but the wait to get a seat by the time I left was huge. Their specialty is grilled cheese, they use Texas toast as their bread and do not skimp on the toppings, so the sandwiches are ginormous. Sandwiches range from the Kindergartner, which is a traditional grilled cheese to toppings like pulled pork, bacon and eggs, pierogi, and brisket. You can customize your sandwich or order one of their signature creations. All the grilled cheese come with hand cut fries and a pickle. The restaurant has a cool funky atmosphere and I will definitely return, although probably not during the weekend. If you love grilled cheese, you will love melt.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank shutterbug44

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Not a sports bar" with rude management”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My friends and I were excited to try Melt Bar & Grilled that recently opened in the Short North. Cool look to it! Got there and had to put a table name tag on our shirt, ok,it was kind of fun, but there were plenty of open tables, so we weren't sure why we had to wait... Grabbed a drink at the bar and were then able to be seated. I must say, walking in, I had a hard time adjusting to the smell. It was intense, and in my own opinion, smelled kinda like dirty old gym socks...(just my opinion)
After we ordered, we wanted to watch a basketball game on one of the 5+ TVs near the bar area. When we asked the server, he was polite and said he'd ask the manager, but wasn't sure if he'd be able to since there were already a few sports on TVs already (we didn't get it). Nothing changed for few minutes, so we asked a different server. She said in a rude tone, "Well we already have 2 TVs with sports on it. That's our max. This isn't a sport bar, but I'll ask the Manager." Nothing for 10 minutes (not even food). Finally a Manager came over. We asked nicely if we'd be able to change one of the sitcoms (no sound, no captions, that no one seemed to be watching) to the game. He replied "I know for a fact that someone is watching it. Plus this is NOT a sport bar, so technically I could say no if I wanted to. I'll see about changing one of the "sports" (with air quotes) TVs and if no one is currently watching it, we might be able to change it." Like dude, all you had to say is "I'll see what I can do...."
The TV got changed as we were finishing our mediocre, hardly hot, kinda smelly meal...
My advice, don't spend your hard earned $$ here. Go to an actual sports bar with awesome food and good management.

DAYTON
“Great Grub, Bar, And Atmosphere”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Like many, we were put hip to this place from Man Vs. Food. We came here directly from the Ohio State University Spring Game and were afraid of long waits. But crowd traffic seemed to flow pretty well on our visit despite a wait. They have a cute and personal way of getting you in line for a table. They placed 80s-themed names in a bucket and had me choose one ("Daniel-san"). They don't hand you a pager or yell your name out. They COME FIND YOU by your name tag. Refreshing.

We had a 30-45-minute wait. So I hit the bar for a few drinks while we waited. The bar staff was busy, but friendly. I told the first bartender I saw that I wanted a pilsner and she started rattling off a list of them from memory right away. They do have a policy of not transferring tabs from the bar to your table and they make you aware of that right away. That's the fair way to do it for the staff.

By the way, their beer selection is pretty impressive, though somewhat confusing as it's presented on the menu.

Our waitress was busy and didn't keep up on our drinks very well, but her service was solid overall.

The food menu is very tempting. We ordered the Hangover Fries to start. They were incredible. Fries (with skins) cooked perfectly with cheese, bacon, gravy, and a fried egg. Unbelievably good.

I ordered the Grandpa's Meatloaf sandwich :(meatloaf, bacon, lettuce, tomato, barbecue potato chips, and maybe something else?). Good, but I will definitely try something else next time.

The beer prices are about what you'd expect for a place of this level.

WARNING: Do not try the $30 sandwich challenge unless you are prepared to eat a mountain of spicy coleslaw along with a good portion of fries. The sandwich itself is three and a half pounds of 12 different cheeses. Ridiculous.

We particularly loved the atmosphere. The music (post punk/new wavey tunes) playing overhead as well. We will definitely be back.

• Visited April 2014
Columbus, Ohio
“Good Food, But Just a Novelty”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The food was good, but it is probably better enjoyed during lunch or after the hype diminishes- not during peak hours on a Saturday night. The wait was understandably long (1.5 hours) given the small size of the venue and large demand for seating. The portions were large, prepared well, and tasted good, but mostly just a novelty. They did have a large drink selection. It was fun to try, but I don't know that I will return until things have calmed down; it was just too crowded and too loud to be comfortable

“melt in your mouth”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Went for lunch on a Tuesday around 1230. Get to pick your waiting name out of a pumpkin-while you wait there is a scavenger hunt & a beer bottle count to keep you distracted. The menu is on the back off old record album. Always fun to see if you know the artist. Was sat-server came quickly & took drink orders. The drinks followed suit. Any question were answered knowledgeably. Orders were Parmageddon, The Good Burger (vegan style), Wet Hot Buffalo Chicken & Backyard BBQ. The food took a little while to get to the table but nothing unreasonable. The server replenished the fluids at the table promptly & without asking.Food arrived & the table went quiet. Expect for the let me try yours, yes this is amazing & the audible yum sounds coming from my nephew as he shook his head from pure awesomeness. The server followed up & asked how everything was-food in mouth, heads moving up & down, thumbs up. We did have to ask for doggy bags as the amount of food is plentiful. Great experience-we will be back!