“Art of the Ages”

Columbus Museum of Art
Ranked #18 of 157 things to do in Columbus
Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a great place to go on a Sunday afternoon ... they have a nice variety of various genres and periods. Their special exhibits are also very interesting.
It may not be The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC - but, it is an excellent museum for it's size.

1  Thank Pami T

Reviewed August 17, 2013

On a sunny Sunday morning, my wife and I stopped at this museum. It was free to visit there. Now I'm not really an art person, but do appreciate some architecture work. So I enjoyed that aspect of the museum. I also enjoyed some artwork, but as a novice art gallery goer, I had lots of "I could do that' kind of moments. :-) They are going to be expanding soon, but we both felt that the museum was much bigger. So after walking around for about 45 minutes, we asked each other whether there were more. If you haven't been to an art museum or have children, this would be a great place to visit.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Much smaller than it's big sisters in Cleveland and Toledo, the museum has been consistent over the years in presenting the best of European and American art. With the recent renovations, there's even better use of all the spaces. And there will be even more space when the future addition is completed. The Rothko exhibit was wonderful. We didn't have to go to Chicago or NYC. Aminah Robinson's story art is charming and fresh every time we see it. Young local artists get their place here too.
Best way to extend your visit? Lunch in the lobby cafe.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Whenever we are in a new town, we visit the local art gallery if there is one. Sometimes we are surprised, sometimes we are disappointed. This visit to the Columbus Museum of Art fell somewhere in the middle. We saw some interesting American paintings that were new to us. We saw some European paintings that were also new to us (Picasso, Klee, Matisse, Degas). The visit was worthwhile because of the latter and informative because of the former. But we only spent an hour touring the galleries. By that stage we had seen what we needed to see. A pleasant experience but not outstanding.

3  Thank Dr Bob H
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is just an "okay" museum. It is just so outdated, dark and dank. The musem has had the same, sleepy collection of permanent art for a very long time, so I move through the collections way too quickly. I don't know what it is, but I just don't enjoy this museum. It's kind of depressing. The collections are gloomy, dark and not inspiring. The current collection of Chech puppets is downright creepy. I understand it, it's just that there is more art in this building that I don't like, and don't connect with, more than the ones that I do. The gift shop is nice, but you don't go to an art museum for the shops. We literally could have completed this entire visit in 20 minutes.

2  Thank Monica D

Been to Columbus Museum of Art? Share your experiences!