“Grow little art museum, grow!!”

Columbus Museum of Art
Ranked #18 of 154 things to do in Columbus
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a nice little art museum. If you have been to any art museums like The Met, Chicago Art Institute or The Louvre in Paris, this will probably not impress you. BUT I heard while I was there recently that they are EXPANDING in a big way and worth coming back to. It's a big project and I think to be completed in 2014. Still, it's a nice museum and will only take up a couple hours of your time. Kids will love it. My kids and a neighbor's kid that went with us were engrossed in the activities on the first floor. the gift shop is very good, the visiting collection right now are really fabulous whimsical marionettes and dolls from the Czech Republic. Very interesting and weird! :-D Kids were fascinated as we were. I am disappointed by the cafe though. Don't expect more than a cup of coffee or a pricey and limited selection of pre-made sandwich/salads. I hope after the big expansion they have a nice cafe because the cafe courtyard inside is very nice!

There are newer reviews for Columbus Museum of Art

Reviewed June 6, 2013

The museum had an exhibit of puppets. I had never considered the history of puppets, and was pleasantly surprised and intrigued that they have been around for centuries. Constructing them is an art form. Manipulating them is another art form. Art and entertainment and education all meet through the medium of puppets. That was the special exhibit. There are priceless originals of old masters art works. No, it is not the Louvre, but it is a special breath of fresh air for art lovers. If close by, take the time to go there.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Although small in size, the Columbus Art Museum has a good representative collection . We recently went to see the touring Mark Rothko Exhibit ( closed) and the Czech Puppet Exhibits ( wonderful and amazing). The Museum is planning some major construction in the near future so do plan
on checking re: what is going on by going online. They have a small cafe in the museum and a really nice "children's art museum" area. There is a gift shop too. Tips:
There is an admission charge except on Sundays. Currently parking in the rear of the Museum is free but this can change.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I originally went to see the Rothko the Defenitive years exhibit. It was great but has now closed. The other traveling show at the museum was an exhibit of Czech puppets, mostly marionettes. I learned about a long standing tradition of Czech puppetry and it's influence on such pop culture themes as Tim Burton movies. It was an absolute delight. Catch it if you can. Remember, the museum is free on Sunday.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I went particularly to see an exhibit of early Mark Rothko works. Works were nicely shown. A couple of other exhibits also caught my interest. In general, this was a pleasant experience. Interesting building. Well worth the trip. Easily walkable from my downtown hotel.

Been to Columbus Museum of Art? Share your experiences!