“Beer Beer and Beer”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Grove City, Ohio, United States
“Beer Beer and Beer”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We attend this place every year for a christmas party down stairs and have visited the upstairs too. The food is plentiful and the beers are great. The have several different types of beer on type. And several that are their own. The service is always nice upstairs. The service in the downstairs during parties are usually great. But this past year they seemed bothered to be at work that night. I dont know if it was new people or if they were tired from the season. But I will visit again. All of my other visits were awesome.

Visited December 2012

Catawba Island, OH
“Good beer, not so good food”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Barley's beers are fairly good. Not fantastic, not great, but consistently good. Their food leaves a lot to be desired and we quit ordering food at Barleys after several failed attempts.

Visited February 2013
Saginaw, Michigan
“Okay beer... bbq needs to be at this location as well.”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My fiancee were all abuzz about everything we had read about Barley's beer (we are craft beer lovers) and food (especially the bbq) when we visited Columbus. The place was fairly busy before a hockey game, but the wait for a table was less than 25 minutes and our waiter helped make sure that we had our food and bill in a timely manner so we could make the game on time.
When we first walked in we were a bit thrown off by the location of the hostess stand... which is slightly behind the bar... eventually finding it through the throngs of people huddled around it. While we waited we tried Barley's Pilsner, Raspberry Winter Ale, Centennial IPA, and their Pale Ale, and found the Centennial IPA the only one to go back to. We had their smoked wings (buffalo) and found them to be excellent... she had the reuben, I had the meatloaf and both were very good. We had hoped and thought the bbq was downtown, and realized it was not, and went there the next day.

• Visited February 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Barley's With Kids”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

While in Columbus over the weekend I had one request and that was to have dinner at Barley’s Brewing Company. It never hurts to mix in a little beer with dinner on a family trip. Plus the restaurant appeared family friendly.

Fortunately one of my roommates from college, who now lives in the Columbus area, was able to join us for dinner. I asked him to meet us at 5pm for an early dinner and I’m glad I did. We actually didn’t arrive until after 5:15, but he was able to secure a table in the crowded restaurant for our group of 5. It seems there was a Columbus Blue Jackets game that night at the nearby Nationwide Arena and a good chunk of the crowd was obviously headed that way.

The inside of Barley’s is not very large, but they have managed to pack in a bunch of tables along the front and right sides, along with the back corridor. There is also a large bar with plenty of beers on tap. I started with their Centennial IPA, which I thought was a pretty darn good beer. I also later sampled one of their Russian Imperial Stouts, which was also good. I didn’t enjoy the RIS as much as the IPA, but both are worthy of ordering again.

For dinner I went with the Jamaican Me Chicken sandwich which combines jerk seasoned grilled chicken breast with Jamaican relish and pepper-jack cheese ($9.99). The chicken was a double breast and was well cooked. I was hoping for a little more spice from the jerk seasoning, but overall the sandwich was good. For my side dish I chose their cheddar and potato pierogies. I think this was my first experience with pierogies. Unfortunately it might be my last experience with them though, as these didn’t really do much for me. Overall they were fairly bland and uninteresting.

My old friend had The Wedge salad – crisp iceberg lettuce wedge with diced tomatoes, smokey bacon bits, balsamic marinated cherry tomatoes, red onion and crumbled gorgonzola bleu, then drenched with our bleu cheese dressing and a drizzle of balsamic reduction ($6.29). This salad looked really good and from what I’m told it tasted great too. I’m intrigued by the balsamic reduction that is added to the other somewhat typical wedge salad toppings.

My wife had the Turkey Nut burger - ground turkey seasoned with parmesan and herbs, topped with pecans, and served with spicy mayo - Barley’s classic for nearly two decades ($9.79). She chose to have a side salad for $1.29 extra, but it was a pretty large and fresh salad. I didn’t try any of the burger, but again I’m told that it was a good sandwich. We also had orders of kid’s cheeseburger and grilled cheese (both $4.99).

Our service was actually much quicker than I was expecting from the crowded restaurant and bar. Overall the food was good and I enjoyed the two beers that I sampled. I would easily go back for more when in the area.

• Visited January 2013
Oak Park, Illinois
“Great vibe in the heart of downtown...”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had a great time at Barely's celebrating my husband's new job! Sat at the bar and the place was packed with folks attending the Brew Fest! Loved the vibe and the beer is always spot on!

Visited January 2013