“Old Timers joint, no loud twenty-somethings”

Plank's Cafe & Pizzeria on Parsons
Ranked #189 of 2,367 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: German, Greek, Pizza
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I've been going to Planks for years. We used to go to their other (High St) location after softball at Berliner Park. We even had a wake of sorts at Planks on Parsons for my wife's dad when he passed several years ago (what's not to like if you're an Irish Catholic Buckeye fan?).

As other reviewers have mentioned, it's not in the nicest part of town, but it is on the edge of German Village and only a couple of blocks away from Nationwide Childrens Hospital. It sits in an unremarkable single story building, but has a generous parking lot (unusual for German Village area restaurants).

If you're a true believer (=Buckeye Fan) you'll enjoy the memorabilia packed into every corner of this place. And yes, they still have Jim Tressel's picture on the wall (he was railroaded by ESPN, I swear!).

I met a friend their to share a cold pitcher of brew and sandwich the other day. When we got there at 4pm, there were only a few people dining (the older crowd trying to beat the dinner rush apparently). We were greeted by a seasoned citizen hostess and promptly seated. In a minute or two, our friendly waitress stopped by and returned quickly with a pitcher and a couple of frosty mugs.

I had a very tasty bratwurst (after much deliberation - lots of good comfort food on the menu) and my friend had an Italian sub that he gave two thumbs up. I believe they do a fair share of carryout pizza and sub business there as well. Many locals & regulars at the bar, but also some sort of company gathering was going on in the dining room when we were there.

It's clean, bright, with friendly mature servers and no over-amp'd music. I will be returning to Planks soon for the Johnny Marzetti (a lunch favorite, but only certain days of the week).

BTW, if the parking lot is any indication of how popular this place is, when we left two hours later the lot was full.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Tucked away on the edge of German Village, this hidden gem has the best pizza in Columbus. All of our Columbus family loves this place. Any time we have friends or family in from out of town, we take them to Plank's. Once or twice someone has dared to order something other than pizza, and it's always been good too. They have great german dishes. The atmoshpere is relaxed and fun. You can usually find the owners working the bar or the room.

1  Thank DogMom75
Reviewed February 20, 2010

This is the original location, however, I do prefer the other location and will review that in a second. The crowd at this one tends to be of the older generation...The servers as well. Bordering on a not so great section of town in a windowless building, outsiders might be frightened away. Dont be. The food is decent. The pizza outstanding. The wait can be a bear here and I am not sure why. They are busy. Often. But always pleasant.

Reviewed July 20, 2009

Brought here by a friend, great thin crust pizza, good sauce and adequate toppings. Service is poor but not because they don't try, they are just sooooooo busy!! Add some staff and it would be five stars. Had to wait and wait and wait for everything! Dont go here if you are in a rush

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook