“Other reviewers missing the point” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Central Ohio
“Other reviewers missing the point”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

You come for the food, you stay for the whisky. They have one of the most extensive scotch whisky collections in town, and going to Wing's without trying some is to miss out on an experience. My wife and I have only been going for the last 2 years, and always enjoyed ourselves. Ken, who runs the place with his sister, is almost always behind the bar and always willing to introduce people to new scotch. He's very knowledgeable and personable, and my wife and I always eat our meals at the bar if there's space. He's got stuff you've never heard of, he's got stuff you can't afford, but he's always got something worth tasting. For most of the single malt scotches, the price per drink varies from about $10 to $20 per glass. But he is not stingy with the volumes, and more than once he's just let me finish off a bottle. If you really want an experience, go with a small group and ordered a non-repeating flight of whisky. I went there with 3 friends and we were able to taste over 16 different single malt scotches without paying the full price each.

The food is quite good, don't get me wrong. My wife's favorite is the lo mein, and I like wor su up, which is a delicious duck meal. And their fried rice is wonderful; it's very simple (no damned peas or carrots) and similar to the yangzhou style I prefer. Don't bother with the bread before the meal; it's nothing special and just fills up the space better reserved for the meal. The wonton appetizers are great, and all of the soups I've ordered are quite good without being heavy. I've even taken a friend from Guangzhou there, and he found it to be quite authentic.

This place really is a Columbus institution, and it's worth more of your time than just take out.

Protip - usually crazy busy on Fridays and usually slow on Saturdays. Great place to watch the Buckeye games!

• Visited June 2013

Lancaster, Ohio
“not the same”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

alice and i have eaten here a few times a number of years ago...really enjoyed the food...had dinner there a few days before christmas...i had spicy chicken, alice had sweet and sour chicken...food was ok, but not as good as i was expecting, considering previous times we had eaten here....probably would not go again....

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sloppyjoepal
Columbus, Ohio
“Old school charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

If you you like authentic Chinese food in an old school setting, you would love Wing's! Supreme service, friendly staff, and food presented in the silver food containers just like in yesteryear. Although I am not a scotch purveyor, I hear their selection is second to none.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank BuckeyeBates
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Interesting but I prefer...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2008

Interesting but I prefer regular take out.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook