“Amazing ice cream!”

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams
Ranked #8 of 56 Dessert in Columbus
Good for: Families with children
Description: As historic High Street bisects Columbus in the northern reaches of the city, the storied thoroughfare takes you to the wonderful Clintonville neighborhood. We're proud to call the pedestrian-friendly area, packed with thriving restaurants, bookstores, coffeehouses, and marketplaces, home to our sixth location, which opened next to a true Columbus gem, Northstar Cafe, in October, 2010. Up with superlative ingredients.
Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

This was the best ice cream I've ever had. I ended up eating it 4 times over 2 different days. My favorite was the Buckeye State and Salty Caramel on a waffle cone. Next time I'm in Columbus, I'll be eating ice cream again. Service was great and friendly. After my wife and I left Jeni's on Thursday night the line was wrapped around the building. It's a must go to if your in the area!

Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

We checked out this Jeni's location while visiting from out-of-town for a wedding. We had heard from several of our friends how great it was supposed to be, so were excited to check it out.

The staff is very friendly and helpful and there are some very fun and exotic flavor concepts.

The prices and portion options were disappointing. You can get their small option of 2 scoops?/flavors for $4.65. I usually don't want more than a scoop. The only smaller option was a 1/2 scoop kids size for $4! That is extremely overpriced for a kids size. Why can't we do one scoop for a non-inflated price?

I was there with 5 other people, so was able to get a taste of quite a few flavors. I myself ended up opting for the small/ 2 flavor with black coffee and bramble berry crisp. They were both blind choices, as I wasn't a huge fan of the first 2 flavors I tasted ( I know one was a peach cobbler sort of thing.)

After we sat down and I tried my flavors, I was a little bit confused and disappointed. I looked around and saw all of my friends seemingly enjoying their exotic flavored treats, while I was not happy with mine.
We traded some tastes, and I realized that most seemed to be at the same level of not interesting. While the flavors sound like so much fun, the actual execution falls flat. They mostly seem to be overly sweet and minimally flavored, many bordering blah. I didn't realize where my distaste for these ice creams stemmed, until I tried a spoon of my friend's Bangkok Peanut. That was delicious and creamy with some spice! Wait a minute...
Creamy! That's what is missing from every other flavor tried. The ice creams, other than this Bangkok Peanut, are not creamy. The texture almost borders stale and icy.

With the exception of this Bangkok Peanut, I would not recommend these desserts. Overall icy, overpriced and kinda blah. Even the salted caramel?? Yeah, great service but that's about it.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

They seriously will let you try all the flavors if you wanted. And common courtesy is to purchase a cup (at least) but that shouldn't be an issue as there is something for everyone.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Every city has their favorite ice cream shop. In Columbus, this shop is called Jeni's, and they have several branches. I stopped at the one near the Convention Center on High Street. Flavors at the shop abounded and it was quite busy (a good sign). The reisling poached pear was very unique and flavorful. That being said, the ice cream wasn't knock-my-socks off good. It was good, to be sure, but my socks remain attached to my feet. If I'm in the area again on a hot summer evening, I'll definitely stop by again, but I don't think I'd add it as an itinerary item for the next time I'm in Columbus.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

We had some friends take us here on our business trip to Columbus. I love ice cream but I do consider myself a bit of a snob in terms of what I really love. There are so many different and unique flavors that tasting a few is necessary. My wife for instance had the, Goat Cheese and Cherries with another scoop or Lavender. I had the Salty Caramel with the Buckeye. This stuff is very flavorful and creamy. I would definitely recommend. It's not cheap but most ice cream places such as Coldstone aren't either.

Been to Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams? Share your experiences!