“Someone call Chef Ramsey or Chef Irvine!!”

94th Aero Squadron Restaurant
Ranked #735 of 2,222 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mount Vernon, Ohio
“Someone call Chef Ramsey or Chef Irvine!!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The wife and I were putzing around Columbus and were getting hungry, so we decided to check this place out. It was a Saturday and they had just opened up. I'm a history enthusiast and a big Flight Simulation/Aviation fan, so this was like a dream come true for me! We didn't have the buffet, so I cannot speak to that. The wife had the "Butcher's Block" (a sirloin steak) and I had Filet with Australian lobster. I'd not had the Austrialian lobster before, so I asked the waitress about it. She had no idea the difference between Rock/Maine/Austrialian lobster. (For those that don't know, it's basically Rock lobster - I did a search to find that out). I thought, "ok, $30, I'll give that a shot."

The wife's steak was ok, not great. My filet actually tasted rancid. I'm not sure if the meat itself was bad or it was just seasoned completely wrong! The lobster was overcooked I surmise; it was pretty rubbery and didn't have a lot of flavor. But the BIG surprise was when we got the bill. What I thought aws a $30 dinner for myself (the wife's was $20) was actually $60! I should have said something right then and there - that meal wasn't worth the $30 I THOUGHT I was paying, let alone $60! I was so upset I simply wanted to leave that place as quickly as possible. My way of "saying something" to them will be to publish how awful our experience was for the world to see. If you're desparate for something to eat, I'd suggest fast food compared to this - it tastes better and won't leave you with a $100 bill!

The best things were my wife's French Onion soup and the bread - the bread was really good. Also, you get to watch aircraft take off and land.

AVOID THIS PLACE, they need either Chef Ramsey or Robert Irvine!

• Visited February 2013

Columbus, Ohio
“Delicious food, Great ambience”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

A thoroughly pleasant dining experience. To us the food could not have been better. The steaks were cooked to order and they were absolutely delicious. Everything was nicely served piping hot. The bread was wonderful. Our server was pleasant and attentive. The view of the busy airport at dusk was exciting and completely fascinated our 10 year old son. We enjoyed it too. Overall, a great time was had by all.

What could have made it better? Several of the lights were out on the parking lot and there's no excuse for that. Piping in the sounds of the air traffic controller would have made our wait for the food even more interesting. It seems to me that when they had a 94th Aero Restaurant in Philadelphia (now closed) you could pick up a vintage pilot's headset at each table and listen to the tower-to-pilot chatter. Finally, for the real airplane buffs, a booklet to thumb through with 30 of the most common commercial airliners would have topped things off nicely. That would have really helped me out when our boy was asking what kind of planes we were looking, how big were they and how many people did they hold.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Tom K
Westerville
“Likable environs”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Prime Rib is good. Needs updating but should also keep the
military flavor of the surroundings. Plastic flowers deter the ambience.

Visited September 2012
Columbus, OH
“Great Banquet Site”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Attended a celebration banquet here. The food was very good and the service was exceptional. Nice atmosphere, but could feel a bit more freshened. Needs some remodeling.

Walnut Creek, California
“Convenient to Hotel...and that's about it”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

On a Friday night when other places were hopping this one was a ghost town. When we arrived we were told the kitchen closed early (bad sign)...people were nice....desserts were okay...

Visited October 2012