“Birthday dinner”

J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 2,314 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 23
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed January 7, 2013

First time here last weekend. Reservations were easy to get, plenty of parking. We were seated immediately, the service was fantastic, and prices were in line with a quality steakhouse. The bone-in ribeye might be the best in the city. The filet, lobster mac, and crab cakes were extremely well prepared. The drinks are strong, but very flavorful. A great evening all around.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were there to celebrate two birthdays. We were greeted with a warm welcome, seated promptly and were asked if we were celebrating anything. Drink orderes were taken immediately. Oncve drinks were served, we were advised of the specials, then given time to decide. Our dinner was served at a leisurely pace as we were busy talking and enjoying each other's company. Food was excellent and well prepared to our liking. Dessert was ordered and when it arrived, a birthday candle was lit in each of the desserts for the birthday girl and guy.

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

The fillet mignon was excellent and was the service. Very friendly staff and nice menu selection. I wish it was closer to downtown Columbus.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Went to J. Gilbert's to celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve. It was truly special. The food was perfectly cooked (all three meals) and served hot and in a timely manner. Our waitress was not only efficient and knowledgable (she recommended a wine which was fantastic and I'm not normally a lover of wine) but she was very personable and seemed happy to be serving us even though it was Christmas Eve. While pricey, the value for the money was more than adequate. I am looking forward to going there many times in the future.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I visited J Gilbert's Steakhouse for a date night. Having to little ones and both working full time these nights are cherished and make choosing our night out important to us. We heard from another couple that J Gilber'ts was a good restaurant and decided to check it out. We made our reservations on Open Table a couple of days prior and had no problem finding a time that was suitable for us, for this night we chose 7:00pm. We arrived early and sat at the bar for some pre-dinner cocktails. Seating was limited at the bar, but we were able to find two chairs open.

We had a couple of rounds and were taken care of well by the bar staff. I had to get up and go to the hostess table at 7:00pm otherwise I am not sure they were going to come get us to seat us.

Once seated we were greeted promptly by our server Patrick. We did not set the pace by ordering in segments or letting Patrick know how we wanted the food to be delivered so everything came pretty quickly and spaced a little closer than we would have preferred. Table bread was fresh and hot and the whipped butter was a nice touch. My wife had the wedge salad and her only negative was that she wished she had ordered it with dressing on the side as it was plentiful. I had the cesar salad, and requested no anchovies, both tasted great and were fresh.

For our main course we both chose to pick from the Prix-Fixe Menu. This menu is a three course menu with option for a set cost. My wife had the wedge salad, 6-oz filet and shrimp, and a baked potato. She said it was excellent, and her only complaint was it was too much to eat. Her filet was cooked to a medium push as requested and moist. The baked potato was massive, and boiling over with butter with a salty outer layer. The shrimp was a wood fired shrimp with a light arrangement of spices and tasted as if it had been frozen and wasn't as quality as expected, had a firm a mushy texture all at the same time versus the usual consistency you'd expect in a shrimp product.

For my selections I had the cesar salad described above, the 8-oz filet, asparagus, and baked potato. My filet was excellent, and the rosemary demi glaze really set it off well. The asparagus was lightly salted and oiled and had a firm snap to it, nearly perfect. For desert we each had separate items. My wife had the creme brulee, and I chose the cheesecake. The creme brulee is enough for two people to share and was a standard vanilla base. The cheesecake had white cake base and vanilla cheesecake top split nearly fifty-fifty with a strawberry glaze. Both were excellent and more than we could handle.

Overall a good value and an excellent meal. The atmosphere is slightly outdated but that is made up for with the quality service and food for a reasonable price. I travel frequently for business and fortunate to entertain and eat out often at many of the nation's fine restaurants. This location does a great job.