“Superb food and service!”

J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 2,291 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 23
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We had an early evening reservation on a Sunday evening. It was the first time we had dined at J. Gilbert's. The experience was exceptional -- we were cheerfully greeted, had a great server and had amazing food. We had the shrimp cocktail - beautiful presentation and the shrimp was delicious. I had a ceasar's salad -- the dressing was not my favorite, but the salad and croutons were crisp and the anchovies perfect. My husband had the rib steak, my daughter the strip steak and I had the halibut special. All were perfectly cooked, served hot and scrumptious! The triple chocolate cake was yummy. Also, the atmosphere was warm and cozy.

We will be back!

1  Thank tjuicetmom

Reviewed April 17, 2012

Our family went to J Gilbert's for my husband's birthday dinner this evening. We knew no one who had ever been to the restaurant before - just taking a chance based on the reviews. We weren't disappointed!! From the hostess to our waiter & serving staff, everything was fantastic. The appetizers, salads, steaks, sides, & desserts were all delicious & beautifully presented. Overall great experience!!!

Reviewed April 12, 2012

We have lived about 2 miles away from this restaurant for the past six years and pass it each time we take our family to Bravo Italian for a family meal. My husband and I decided to try J. Gilberts for one of our "date" nights sans children.

The first visit, we both enjoyed most everything. The waitress was a tad too talkative and annoying, but the food was incredibly good. We both had petite filets with broccolini and pecan green beans. They were the best steaks we've ever had. The atmosphere had "ambiance", and we felt like this was going to be our "date night" goto restaurant going forward.

About six weeks later, my husband had received a coupon for $15 off of $30 via his email. He printed it out and made a second "date night" reservation for us on a Saturday evening. This visit was regretable from the start, and we will not be returning to J. Gilberts because of a few minor flaw in the service.

Upon arrival (about 5 minutes before our reservation time), we walked into an emtpy foyer/greet area...no customers. The hostess advised us it would be a few minutes before we could be seated. In perusing around, we noticed several wait staff in the bar area gathered chatting and laughing. When we were finally seated (about 10 minutes later), our walk through the restaurant to our table (back near the kitchen entrance/exit) showed that the restaurant wasn't "packed" by any means. Why the wait?

We had our coupon sitting out throughout our entire meal...visible to our waiter. We opted to forego the appetizers and dessert w/this meal, and I do feel this alters wait staff attitudes. We like to save our appetites for the meal, and had other plans for dessert at another restaurant. The meal was spectacular, and we presented the waiter w/our coupon which he took to formulate our bill. He returned and indicated that in the fine print of the coupon it states "not valid on Saturdays". An honest mistake on our part which we acknowledged and I reached for my wallet to get my debit card to pay for our meal.

Here's the deal breaker: the waiter, taps the coupon, comments "Yeah--you just have to read the fine print."...and rushes off to go take the individual orders of an 8 person party next to us before processing our check so we could go. I looked at my husband in disbelief: "Did he really just condescend and instruct us to 'read the fine print'?" Did he ask his manager for an exception on the coupon as a courtesy? If he did, he didn't indicate this. Even if he didn't, his communication was arrogant and belittling. My tip(?): instruction to him on how he could have better handled our scenario and subsequently retained our patronage.

We will be returning to Bravo! Italian just up the road from J. Gilberts for future dinners (date nights, family dinners for us and our three children, and my husband's many business dinners). We have never been disappointed w/their service and food.

1  Thank AngieC720
Reviewed March 26, 2012

The only downside is no happy hour. It's no wonder the restaurant is deserted until 7pm most nights

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Every year when we visit the Goodguys Rod & Custom Nationals at the fairgrounds, we make it a point to dine at J. Gilberts and what a treat it is each and every year. The wait staff is superb, extremely pro. The food is excellent, I always get the Steak Trio with a wedge salad. Can't say enough about the atmosphere, it's what the perfect steak house should be !

1  Thank John S