“Long wait for an ordinary food”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Udipi Cafe

Udipi Cafe
Ranked #867 of 2,222 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Miamisburg, Ohio
“Long wait for an ordinary food”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The service, reception was pathetic to start off with. I had gone there with 9 of my friends & our orders took more than 75 minutes to reach us. The management did not even care a damn. No water refill was offered too. We ordered Kancheepuram Idli, Pongal and different Dosa's.Dosa's were good and nothing to complain, but Kancheepuram Idli and Pongal was Awful. *Kancheepuram Idli is not a normal/usual idli colored yellow with Cashew, Corriander leaves decorated at the top. I am from Kancheepuram and it was pathetic to see people claim this colored Idli as Kancheepuram Idli. Please visit Kanchipuram and have good Kanchipuram Idli to see the difference yourselves. * Pongal's consistency was bad too. Rice wasn't properly cooked and the rice wasn't mashed as it should be in a Pongal. Sambhar was justtoo watery. Aviyal was excellent though. On complaining to the management about the delay and the food quality, manager said it was because of their employee shortage and did not even apologized. This is not the first time this has happened to me. This is in fact the second time, I had this reception. I had ordered Dosa's then and escaped. Verdict: If you are prepared to wait for more than an hour and eat a very ordinary food, then this is the place for you.

• Visited August 2013

Austin, Texas
“Great food, slow service”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had vegetable curry which had an excellent curry sauce and the mango ice cream. The food was wonderful, the service, not so much. I was the only one in there and it took a really long time to get not only the food but also the ice cream. What would cause me to wait 10 minutes for a scoop of ice cream when I was the only customer?

The restaurant probably makes most of its money with the daily buffet, but the evening customers are important, too.

• Visited April 2013
Ohio
“We love this place”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I took our family here two years ago on the recommendation of some Mennonite friends. It is one of our Columbus favorites ever since. We were able to go again last weekend. My husband was so thrilled with the food, he made the unprompted comment that "the food was so good, it was WORTH $100." I will tell you he is a bit of a tight wad, so he never says things like that! The food is spicy, but an excellent flavor, and despite other Americans whining about no meat, we all were really, really full. There are at least two signs outside that make it clear the restaurant is pure vegetarian. I guarantee you will not miss the meat. The service is friendly, though not effusively so, but that is ok with me, because I am tired of having my conversations interrupted by American 20-somethings asking me how is everything. Our waiter described the dishes and sauces, refilled our water, asked if we wanted dessert, and delivered the check to my husband at the register as soon as he asked for it. We usually ask to be served family style, and share our meals for a fun variety.

• Visited January 2013
Huntington, West Virginia
“One of Our Favorite Restaurants!”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Being vegetarians, my husband and I always have a quandary over Thanksgiving when we have to be in Columbus, OH on business. Eight years ago we discovered Udipi Cafe - an all vegetarian South Indian restaurant. We have eaten there for the past eight years. It helps if you like spicy food, and are familiar with Indian dishes (especially South Indian). We love the dosa, sambar and idli. Yum! It is not fancy mind you, but we highly recommend it!

Visited November 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Awesome South Indian food”
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We've come to this restaurant at least once a month for the past 5 years. The food is always tasty and consistent. There's no way to beat the value that you're getting. It's off the beaten path, but well worth trying it. Easily the best Indian restaurant in Columbus and easily competitive with other Indian restaurants in bigger cities!