“Overpriced, tiny sushi. Jerk owner!”
Review of Shoku - CLOSED

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We visited this restaurant due to their participation in restaurant.com. We ordered a sampling of the menu and some drinks for $60. The sushi was the smallest rolls Ive ever seen, tiniest almost unrecognizable piece of fish inside, and overpriced at 5.50-12.00 for the ones we ordered. Chicken satay was tasty, but no peanut sauce and only one skewer with four little pieces of chicken for $8! When we went to pay the bill, owner refused to accept a valid restaurant.com gift certificate. They even validated the code by phone and then refused! To appease us, he comped $15 off the bill. So, over $10, which at restaurant markup is about $2 his cost, he lost customers and caused a scene, making me call the customer service number on my phone at the table while the manager watched! Outrageously tacky!!! Never again!!! No wonder there was only one other table in the whole restaurant for dinner.

3  Thank LeROUXCandace
There are newer reviews for Shoku

Reviewed August 20, 2009

My experience was so bad that I joined Citysearch as soon as I got home just to warn you guys of this place.

First of all, they refused a gift certificate that we had but at least they were honest about it and told us before we ordered. Since this was my first time there, we decided to give them a try anyways - bad idea. I had a bad feeling about this place when they claim to be a Japanese restaurant yet mispelled Nabeyaki Udon as Nabuyaki Udon on the menu.

It took them over 30 mins just to get us only a couple pieces of sushi. Not only that, every single aspect of their sushi was bad.

1. The sushi rice was warm - it is supposed to be room temperature!

2. The rolls were made by a total amateur. The seaweed on the sushi was broken and torn causing whatever was inside to spill out.

3. They did not use sushi rice (short grain rice)

4. THE FISH WAS NOT FRESH - it left such a nasty fishy taste in your mouth - a sign of spoiled fish.

Nothing about this place is good besides the fact that our water was refilled promptly. The food is way way overpriced for what you get. Come on Shoku, $18 for chicken? Who do you think you are, Mitchell's Steakhouse? At least at Mitchell's you are getting great service and atmosphere. Shoku is a dump and so is the food.

Avoid this place at all cost.

1  Thank Usodarake
Reviewed March 9, 2008

its alright, kinda pricey for avg sushi

1  Thank Smirzie
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 4, 2008

This is my joint right here. Sushi is the bomb. Elegant and romatic. I took 4 people there for dinner one time and paid for them and it cost me under 90 dollars

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Ohio
Reviewed December 18, 2007

GREAT! The only better place for sushi and endame is Haiku.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook