“Awesome Atmosphere and Food”

Schmidt’s Sausage Haus und Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 55 Dessert in Columbus
Cuisines: German
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: This iconic German Village restaurant is the perfect place to celebrate with family and friends. For five generations we have been serving authentic German food. Our sausage has become so famous that the Bahama Mama has been voted the official food of Columbus and the building is registered as a historic landmark. Come take a trip around our Autobahn Buffet or, if you want something other than sausage, try one of our traditional German dinners. Of course, for dessert, you can have one of our half-pound jumbo cream puffs. Stop in today and celebrate with us!
Springfield
“Awesome Atmosphere and Food”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I were in Columbus on personal business and went to Schmidts for lunch.My husband had never been there but I had as a young girl and teenager with my mother.It was as I remembered and the food was awesome. We had the Bahama Mama with the german potato salad. The atmosphere was lively. The wait staff was friendly and dressed in the attire.We will definitely come back!

• Visited December 2013

“Delicious Authentic German Food!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

After driving around in the German Village, I found this place! Absolutely great service and delicious food, not to mention the awesome dessert! Will be back!

• Visited August 2013
Montville, New Jersey
“The Total German Experience”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

The restaurant is on the registry of historic places as the metal plaque on the outside of the restaurant indicates. The red brick exterior suggests it's age. The streets of Germantown are paved with brick, the quant homes and small flower beds enrich the spirit of days past. The interior has a lively décor which suggests it's German heritage. The waiting staff all wear German clothing and musicians play traditional German instruments including the accordion. I choose the buffet. It was around 3 PM and there were no lines. Reservations can not be made. It's first come and first served. Weekends can be very crowded and a relatively small parking area forces most people to park on the street. My party of four was seated immediately and our drink order consisted of water. It came quickly with a fresh lemon slice. There were two orders of the buffet. The Buffet was $9.95, all you can eat. Three varieties of brats. I liked the Brat stew which has a barbeque style sauce and beans with a slightly spicy brat. The Bahama MaMa and another brat was also available. Sides included: sauerkraut, potato salad which was not to my liking, mac and cheese, potato soup (Great), red beets, apple sauce and a salad bar. The buffet came with a free desert. I had the cherry cheese cake torte. A fabulously smooth creamy texture. The gigantic cream puff was the other order. Yes, it was "All That". The strudel was the final desert order. Someone in my party ordered the potato pancakes. She thought they were a little small. The final order was the Weiner Schnitzel. Horseradish and mustard were on the table. Schmidt's has been featured on the Food Network Channel, as well as, Man vrs Food. The neighborhood, the place, the staff and the food and drink give you a total German experience.

• Visited June 2014
Canyon Lake, California
“Definitely worth the wait.”
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

I spent the morning walking around downtown Columbus and knew this is where I wanted to eat. It was a hot June day, and I wasn't sure the long wait would be worth braving the hot sun or possible thunder showers. In the end, totally worth it.
The atmosphere is great. It reminded me of a German beer house in Munich. The place seems small with all the guests inside, which made it very festive. The servers wear traditional German garb and are very friendly and helpful. The food came out very quickly and was cooked perfectly. I had to enjoy a puff pastry, and I'm so glad I did.
I highly recommend a visit!

• Visited June 2014
Findlay, Ohio
“German Village Mainstay”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Bold and hearty, this long-standing family restaurant is a must when in Columbus. So many good offerings, it is hard to pick. The various meats are excellent, the potato salad is to die for, but the cream puffs are a required order.

• Visited November 2013