“Do yourself a favor & eat here”

Schmidt’s Sausage Haus und Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 54 Dessert in Columbus
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: This iconic German Village restaurant is the perfect place to celebrate with family and friends. For five generations we have been serving authentic German food. Our sausage has become so famous that the Bahama Mama has been voted the official food of Columbus and the building is registered as a historic landmark. Come take a trip around our Autobahn Buffet or, if you want something other than sausage, try one of our traditional German dinners. Of course, for dessert, you can have one of our half-pound jumbo cream puffs. Stop in today and celebrate with us!
Grove City, Ohio, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do yourself a favor & eat here”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

If you're anywhere near Columbus, Ohio, & like German food, make sure you take time to go to Schmidt's. The food & service are excellent. In fact, one of my German friends who visited Ohio & ate at Schmidt's said with a huge smile, "This is just like my mom makes!" You can order from the menu or go through the all-you-can-eat buffet. If you're too full to have dessert while you're there, take some home with you; everything I've tried has been wonderful, but my personal favorite is their cream puffs. The restaurant also has live German music performances; call the restaurant to find out dates & times. One caveat: At dinner time, Schmidt's gets extremely busy & has a long line; so allow plenty of time to be seated & eat (it's worth the wait!), or try to go at a non-peak eating time.

• Visited January 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“Packed”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This restaurant came highly recommended to me and it was not a disappointment. I arrive early on Friday and they were waiting around the building, like it was a party. I ate at the bar to avoid the long wait.

The german food is very good (limited german menu selection, mostly sausages) but nothing compares the the cream puff desert. Also the german beer is great as well as the atmosphere.

If I come back to Columbus it will be a must stop.

• Visited September 2013
Oklahoma City
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love, love, love! But stick to the menu, and skip the lunch buffet...”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Fun atmosphere! Great service by the wait staff. We went there at lunch, and ordered from the menu, because the buffet didn't really look that great. We wanted the German sausages, schnitzel and sides, & the Mac & Cheese in the buffet didn't strike me as being particularly "German food." The buffet is the only reason why I don't want to give this place 5 stars.

If you order from the menu, you'll be good -- it's not that much more $$, and it's definitely worth it. Plus, they have the largest cream puffs I've ever seen in my life. Bought one and the 2 of us were just barely able to finish it!

Go for the great menu items, sausages & legendary cream puffs. Plus, there's an adjacent gift shop nearby for more chocolate & German goodies. HOWEVER, if you go for lunch, you really need to get there early. Fortunately, we arrived at 11:15. Within 10 minutes of our arrival, the place was completely packed. Get there between 11:00 & 11:15, or may have quite a wait...

This place is a "must" if you're in the Columbus area for business or vacation.

• Visited August 2013
Canal Fulton, Ohio
“Still great after all these years!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I lived in Columbus until the mid 80s & haven't eaten here for over 30 years! It's still good! Four of us came early on a Sunday -we got there about 15 minutes before they opened & were seated at a front window table as soon as then opened. Perfect! Three of us had the "Autobahn Buffet" and one wanted Wiener Schnitzel, but since it wasn't on the buffet, ordered a dinner. The buffet had a nice variety of sausages, kraut, cold salads, hot potatoes and cold German potato salad, green beans with bacon and spaetzel. Since I wanted sausage and a cream puff, the buffet was an excellent choice. If you choose the buffet, the cream puff is offered at a reduced price: $3.75 instead of $6. $6!! When I ate here 30 years ago, a cream puff was $3 and was bigger than my hand! lol. I was not disppointed in the taste of the cream puff, just in the size. It is still very large, but not the "jumbo" it used to be.
Schmidt's is a historic local hometown Columbus restaurant established in 1886. I remember going there in the 70s to eat & to purchase the sausages to cook or grill at home. You can still purchase the famous Bahama Mama and other types of sausages in the meat counter at the front of the restaurant. Maybe I was expecting too much or not remembering correctly, but it seemed to me that the Bahama Mama was a softer sausage than I remembered and not as spicy... Today's version has the consistency of a bratwurst (also available on the menu and the meat counter) rather than a sausage.
Service was amazing! The hosts and servers were dressed appropriately including lederhosen and aprons or laced bodices for the ladies - all very modest and family friendly. Our server was very friendly and attentive without being a nuisance. Coffee, pop, lemonade refills were brought without being asked for and buffet dished cleared promptly.
If I lived closer than 3 hours away, I would still consider the German Village restaurants like Schmidt's, Thurman's, Planks, and the original Max & Erma's my favorites. They have the chain restaurants beat by far!

• Visited November 2013
“Good food, atmosphere not so good ”
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We have been going to Schmidt's for many years. Not what it used to be. Yes, the cream puffs are excellent as always. The sausages and German potato salad still taste great. However, the service is lacking. It appears that the servers are just trying to turn tables as fast as possible. They do the least amount that they have to do to get by. The tables are too close and it's extremely noisy - you have to yell just to have a conversation. Would like to see them get rid of the buffet. Seems like a short step above other chain buffets as far as atmosphere. Just not a pleasant experience. Felt like cattle being herded in and out of a feed lot. Probably will not return as there are too many better restaurants in Columbus.