“Oompah! What a Fun Place”

Schmidt’s Sausage Haus und Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 56 Dessert in Columbus
Cuisines: German
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: This iconic German Village restaurant is the perfect place to celebrate with family and friends. For five generations we have been serving authentic German food. Our sausage has become so famous that the Bahama Mama has been voted the official food of Columbus and the building is registered as a historic landmark. Come take a trip around our Autobahn Buffet or, if you want something other than sausage, try one of our traditional German dinners. Of course, for dessert, you can have one of our half-pound jumbo cream puffs. Stop in today and celebrate with us!
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you've never been here, I recommend the buffet. Every item they serve can be sampled. I bet you'll find one or more items that will make you come next time and order a platter of that favorite. If you're a beer dinker, try Scmidt's Gold. Perfect with a Bahama Mama.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,273)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

As seen on Man vs Food, this place is a must stop. Great food and great atmosphere make you feel like your sitting in a Hamburg establishment. The Creme Puffs are to die for but the sausage is well amazing. Thank you Schmidt's!!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've tried several menu items over the years. All are delicious. What keeps me coming back, though is the Sausage Stew. It's delicious, and unlike anything I've had elsewhere.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

this place has been a long time local staple, there are so many great german meals to try it is hard to decide which one is best, I try and go when they are having one of their famous german fest buffets that way I don't need to decide I can just eat! and eat and eat

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Went to Schmidt's after a day of sightseeing in Columbus. So glad we did!

It didn't have a touristy German feeling where all the girls look like the St. Pauli Girl, although there was a server in lederhosen. =)

The food was fantastic. I highly recommend coming with people you can comfortably share with, and ordering different things and then swapping entrees. We got the sausage sampler, the ham sandwich on pretzel bun, and some sauerkraut balls. The kids (11 and 12) chickened out and got a frankfurter (which was more sausage than wiener!) and chicken. They ate a whole bunch of our meals once it came out though! Save room for dessert... the cream puffs are delicious!