“Ole!”

Barcelona Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #30 of 2,314 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: Spanish, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Jaeger Street
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Terrific chef. Creative rotating seasonal menu. Really, really good. Excellent wine list, with knowledgeable selections. Not quite the same as tapas on La Rambla, but it's not pretending to soemthing it's not.

A little noisy - the sound of people having a good time. Relax and enjoy it

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I didn't know what to expect on this first visit with 5 other people. We were seated in an alcove which appeared to be an area used by musicians. This was good since it was very loud. I ordered the swordfish which was served with red potatoes. Very tasty.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had dinner here on Sunday night. I generally avoid this restaurant for dining with friends because it is so noisy, conversation even with the person next to you is all but impossible. On this visit, even at only half full, talking was extremely difficult. When the people at the next table are yelling to make themselves heard over the people at the table next to them who are talking loudly to be heard...you get the idea. Our service was first class. The hostess was pleasant and showed us immediately to our table. Our server was knowledgeable about the menu, made helpful suggestions and appeared and disappeared at all the right times. Our food was indifferent. My radish salad small plate lacked seasoning and was soggy. With deference to the rave reviews from other reviewers, my paella was far from the best paella I've had. It was as if rice had been mixed with peas, scooped for presentation into a paella pan and topped with beautifully-arranged seafood. It was a pleasant rice dish, but lacked the distinctive characteristics of a good paella. Maybe the chef had the night off.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Backstory: Ol' Virginny speaks Spanish and lived a year in Madrid, then returned a few times as a tourist to more remote parts of Spain's interior where the food is stunning. Now Madrid is not el centro del mundo por paella: Valencia would claim that award. Yet La Paella Real in Madrid shows how it can be done well, and that's my gold(en rice) standard.

Bottom Line for Columbus, Ohio: I have to hand it to Barcelona; their chefs know Paella and present it wonderfully. The secret (this foodie is a good cook, but can't master the art) is the rice. Ingredients must be added in the right order to flavor the rice well, and the rice must be a tad on the "cooked dry" side.

We had high hopes, then, when we ordered and were told "it will take an extra 30-40 minutes." All the more time, then, to savor a really well made Martini for me and Cosmo for my lady. We enjoyed the slightly overpriced Caldo Gallego bean soup, the best I've had in the States outside of my own kitchen. The overpricing of the soup and tapas led me to four stars for Barcelona. I'd recommend either one more slice of Jamon Serrano or Manchego for a $6 portion (common in Spanish tapas places) or cutting the tapas prices to $4. All that said, we did the entire meal for a sliver over $100. That's a good value for a foodie who is a purist about Spanish cuisine.

Barcelona never heard the "one meatball" song; you do get nicely baked bread to relish your tapas and soup. And the wine list is stunning. We opted for glasses of albariño to pair with the Paella, and finished off with some excellent (and better priced than the tapas!) flan. All in all, Barcelona offers a hip and tasteful setting for authentic Spanish food. I think many folks go there to see and been seen, and don't appreciate the efforts the kitchen staff put into their work.

1  Thank OlVirginny
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Upon entering Barcelona I was immediately impressed with the décor.....lovely unique and creative wall painting, colorful glass sculptures, iron decorating features and beautiful glass doors overlooking the lovely outdoor patio. We started our meal with sangria, house made delicious and sparking with champagne and then on to the tapas, all were delicious especially the mejillones – sautéed mussels were remarkably flavored with their house made chorizo and tomatoes and the stuffed sweet red peppers with goat cheese were tasty. For the main course vieras, pan seared sea scallops with crimini mushrooms were perfection! I also tasted the paella de mariscos and it was without a doubt the best paella I have ever eaten. The flourless chocolate cake with caramel cream was remarkable. This meal and service was outstanding from beginning to end! What a delightful find in German Village!