“Great food...worst service.”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Great food...worst service.”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I went to Thurman Cafe on a Monday evening at about 730pm. There was only TWO people in my party and we waited an hour and a half...just for a seat at the bar, in front of an air vent that was blowing out hot air...in July. Which I assume either their air does not work, or they turn the heat on to keep people from sitting around too long. Production would probably be a lot better here if the "waiting room" wasn't bigger than the seating area. I have always thought of Thurman's as a Columbus staple, a place you have to visit and a Columbus native right-of-way, they just have really bad organization and horrible service. Of course we did get the Thurmanator, which came out looking as daunting as the pictures. It was a little overcooked but a true experience in itself. If you want to approach the challenge of the Thurmanator, just be prepared for a long wait to heartburn heaven. I may try again sometime, and hopefully will have a better experience.

• Visited July 2014

Georgia
“Classic Columbus Comfort Food!”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Classic Columbus comfort food....whether in the mood for a monster burger while providing motivation to incorporate your favorite toppings or desiring something more from our feathered friends (in the form of a larger than average chicken sandwich or unusually large wings), I found the place to a "must see" monument in Columbus. Come on...you have all those other chain restaurants where you reside. Live a little. We tried a few things. My 13 year old son devoured his burger with pride. Cooked as requested. My chicken sandwich was better than most competitively priced beer and burger joints (and with the buffalo sauce, really good!).

For those that have been to New Orleans, expect something similar to Port-O-Call. Small. Intimate. And visitors will be glad they made the effort to wait a few minutes for a table.

• Visited July 2014
5 Thank TCSuwGA
Ohio
“Institution of disgusting gluttony”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This place just grosses me out. What a dive! Amongst a national obesity epidemic, I will never understand the fascination with a fatty, greasy hamburger with even MORE fatty, greasy condiments. So a 5000 calorie packed challenge from 'Man vs. Food' - so that makes it cool? Really? This place markets gluttony in the extreme. It comes to me as no surprise that the general public of Columbus love this ultimate advocate of obesity. HORRIBLE! Really, are you going to tell me you feel better after consuming this crap? Disgusting in all senses. If you find great pleasure in watching people stuff their faces with giant slabs of melting fat and bacon into their mouths,..... eeeeek!

• Visited January 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Definitely a must try!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We were there a little late in the night but still had to wait for half an hour. It is easy to find and there are plenty of parking in front of the restaurant! in fact it is in a very cute neighborhood and we had a walk while waiting for our seats. the server and the service is great! everyone is smiling at you and help you with your order. I believe it is a family business as everyone is so friendly to each other. The food portion is very big, definitely should go earlier at night. We did not order any appetizer, I am sure they were great since we saw it at others table. Our order took a little time to get to us but there was plenty to look at, talk about and see while waiting: neon signs, bumper stickers, dollar bills. We ordered the mushroom burger and their famous burger.. thurman burger!! You might be little too full after this food!!! I will definitely recommend this for real burger!

You should try their famous burger

• Visited June 2014
“Ginormous Burgers sooo good!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

After a decently long wait, it was so worth it!! The burgers are huge! The meat is deliciously seasoned and juicy. The toppings were fresh. The service was also good keeping in mind that the place was packed. Definitely worth the wait! Will be back!

• Visited March 2014