“Great food try a burger”
Review of The Thurman Cafe

The Thurman Cafe
Ranked #10 of 2,301 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We went to the Thurman for an early lunch on Sunday December 22, 2013. We had a short wait, about twenty minutes but boy was it worth the wait. The service was great, we must have had two or three server's who were all very attentive to our table of 4 of us. My husband and I each had a burger, and boy were they good, and tasty. Loved the fries as well. Nice atmosphere and a fun place to visit, will definitely come back when we are back in Columbus.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,035)

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I went to Thurman's for a casual dinner while in Columbus for business. The desk clerk at the hotel recommended it. We told her we wanted a comfortable place to grab a beer and good food. Thurman's more than hit the mark. This is neighborhood bar - perfect to kick back with colleagues, but probably not a place to entertain clients. The burgers are delicious - they have interesting combos on the menu, or you can do your own. I had the blue cheese, bacon and horseradish combo - very tasty and with 3/4 pounds of beef it sticks to your ribs. We sat at the bar and the bartenders were incredibly friendly - we felt like regulars. I'll go back when I am in Columbus.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

My husband and I went there for lunch one Saturday. Get there about half an hour before they open to make sure you get in on the first wave. The dining room is small....kind of like a neighborhood bar. We ordered a hamburger and fries (of course). While you're waiting on your food you can read the things written on the walls and the back of the booths. Most of what's on there is G and PG rated so it's fine for kids. The service is fine - it's not over the top but it wasn't slow. The burgers were huge - just as expected. They're a little greasy but, again, that's expected. The fries are pretty good too. Overall, I would recommend everyone try this place at least once. There are lots of good places in Columbus to get a burger so we're in no rush to get back here. If it wasn't so busy all the time we might be more inclined to go more often. Food was good, service was good, no complaints.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Went to Thurman's for the first time with 3 friends - we calculated we ate a total of 3 lbs. of beef! It was worth every single bite. They are big, delicious, perfectly cooked and there is such a variety, something for every taste. We took the buns off because it was impossible to eat the burger without a fork and besides that left room for the great fries and chips.
Got there at 4:15 on a Friday and lucked into a table right way, that is the exception to the rule I'm sure as when we left the line was out the door. Tiny place, lots of atmosphere and the only thing I would complain about is that when someone plays the jukebox it is absolutely impossible to carry on a conversation. Way, way, way too loud.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I visited recently with family and had a great evening.
The service was excellent and the staff were very friendly.
The quality of the burgers was first class and the atmosphere in the place was great.
You have got to visit when you are in the area.