“Another year, another dinner at the Refectory”

The Refectory Restaurant & Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
The Refectory Restaurant & Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 2,261 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Just west of Route 315
Description: An upscale dining experience with a very unique ambiance in 19th century historical building. Contemporary and classic French cuisine. Unparalleled service and a wine program unlike any other. In addition to Dining Room Menu; Wine Retail Store, Wine Tastings, Bistro Dining, Dinner Music Series No dress code required; dressy casual or business casual
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We only get to visit this area once a year. That is probably a good thing or I would have to take a position at the Refectory to support my enjoyment of the food here. The food, ambience, wait staff and bar is always the highlight of my summer travels. We started our visit out at the bar to take advantage of the happy hour cocktail/appetizer pricing. The bartender's version of a Moscow Mule made with Maker's Mark is my new favorite cocktail. Caesar salad,very good (it has anchovies reclining on top..not hubby's favorite way. He'd prefer to have them chopped minutely..oh well). Prawn Tempura app was delicious. Escargot Terrine probably will not be ordered again. But now I know I don't like fatty dishes served a room temperature). The bread is some of the best as well. Some sort of a whole grain. At his point we were so comfortable in our bar chairs we chose to order entrees there in stead of moving to the dining room. Hubby thoroughly enjoyed the Roasted Duck Breast and my Norwegian salmon chop was cooked perfectly. They came with a few lobster ravioli and a dollop of fresh crabmeat on top. If anything could be disappointing it would be the flourless chocolate torte. Quite dry and crumbly. But a small scoop of pistachio ice cream filled the bill. We are so looking forward to our next visit in 2015.

There are newer reviews for The Refectory Restaurant & Bistro

Reviewed August 3, 2014

This is a really fine dining establishment in Columbus. From the ambience to the service and food, it is simply exceptional. Definitely, ask to be seated in the main room. The ambience is much nicer than the side room. Also, it is a bit pricey, so more suitable for special occasions. On our last visit, we had gone as an entire family, and my wife and daughter had the special Venison, which was just unbelievable. We also shared a pate, which was very good, and the drinks were made just right. The only negative of this restaurant is that even after you make a reservation, you are not seated right away, but kept waiting for about 10 minutes in a dingy room before taken to your table.

2  Thank Ness S
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Over the past 30 years, I've gone here several times. There's a 100% chance that the acidity of the dishes will bother my stomach. I came this time because a gift certificate was due to expire. I called ahead, because it was Bastille Day and the restaurant was running two specials (specials not included in gift certificate). I was there when it opened and sat in the Bistro. In the corner, as I was a naughty solo person. My scallop appetizer was a display of chef's mandolin skills, but too acidic. Then I had a caesar salad, served cold on a cold plate, making me believe that it was portioned before service and chilled. Croutons were teeny tiny, making them a tad too greasy. Bread was sliced from a loaf, not proper dinner rolls. I had to nudge my server (there was one more group by then), and I ordered a creme brulee to go. The box was far too big, making my dessert a waste.
The Refectory has many special menus, both upscale and down home pricing. I really just don't like the place. I can tie machine-produced matchstick vegetables with a long piece of cucumber or something just as well as they can. Isn't that sort of thing out of date?

1  Thank havingmorefun
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Once again we visited this wonderful place, and it never disappoints. From the greeting at the door to the goodby when we left, everything was perfect. It was "Restaurant Week" in Columbus, so a 3-course (4 choices for each) prix fixe menu was available. Three of us partook in that and one ordered off the menu. The elegant presentation of each dish matched the wonderful tastes, and the wine list and server's (Chris) recommendation matched perfectly.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Refectory has been our top "special occasions" restaurant for many years. The dishes are exquisite in presentation and taste. The service is probably one of the best you'll find in town. The quality of the traditional fine dining experience here can't be beat.

1  Thank coco88