“Disappointing”

Cross street: Worthington St
jcbexleyoh
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Four of us had lunch here: two omnivores, two vegetarians.

The server appeared interested and attentive but he did not come through with the details even though he had time: the place was empty. He should have noted that our guests had much more of the marrow appetizer left but no more toast points. He did not offer any more and much of the dish was left on the plate. He also did not offer cream with the two coffees ordered, an oversight for a place that has at its root an appreciation for details and subtlety.

The omnivores enjoyed the roasted marrow and chicken with donuts very much. The problem was the menu didn't indicate the chicken was wings and our guest was surprised and a bit disappointed. But he adored the seasoning and the savory cheesy donut.

One meatless dish, the pizza with egg, was bland and disappointing. No offer of salt for the egg, no herbs or seasoning apparent in the sauce. In the end a third of it was left behind. Not usual for my husband who is not a fussy eater.

The veg burger was ok. There was just one rather heavy yeasty taste. Each bite was the same and it became less appealing with each bite. My hungry husband ate the other half preferring that to his pizza.

Surprisingly, though rooted in fine meatless cooking, the meat dishes fared the best in our experience. But with so many good options for vegetarians in town, we vegetarians will not be back.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank jcbexleyoh

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Honest, well-prepared foods.”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Went with old friends, locals, on their recommendation.

My beet salad was delicious. The trout was nice and well prepared.

Our service was good. The room a bit spare, but pleasant.

• Visited October 2012
Columbus, Ohio
“For lunch it's too pricey.”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This place bills itself as serving "bio-dynamic" foods (super-organic), but if that idea doesn't ring your dinner bell, the food is still pretty decent, albeit fussy for lunch.

A grilled cheese sandwich for 10 bucks? or a lamb burger for 15 bucks? We ended up with a $44 bill (incl. tip) for three people, and didn't order drinks. Ouch.

While the server was most pleasant and accommodating, the place was empty at noon and it still took more than 30 minutes to get our food.

• Visited September 2012
“A bit of a mystery but great taste”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was not sure what to expect and even less sure once I saw the menue. I guess they have changed focus across time. A limited choice, basic decore - a neighborhood bar/restaurant....thing
But great taste. I had a lamb burger and bean salad and it was first class. Great service and good wines. I enjoyed it and will go again.

District of Columbia
“A disappointing shadow of its former self”
Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

We are out-of-towners (and vegans) who faithfully visited this restaurant as Dragonfly during every Columbus visit for years. We were apprehensive about the new concept but interested enough to try it for brunch.

The food was decent but overpriced especially for Columbus, and the service was perplexingly bad. For example, my friend had a lengthy discussion with the server about the differences between the frittata and the omelet, ordered the frittata, and received the omelet instead. The food took so long to come out that it wasn't worth raising an objection -- despite the fact that our party of four was the first and only group of people in the restaurant. Some of the menus had vegan dishes marked as vegan, and others did not, even though the dishes on each menu were the same. It took about 20 minutes to produce a tepid $4 cup of coffee. And when I asked for a little bit of bread to mop up the sauce from my dish, and then had to ask a second time, I got it. I also got charged $4 for what was basically two slices and a little bit of jam.

I used to think of Dragonfly as an innovative, gourmet restaurant that just happened to be vegan -- on par with San Francisco's Millennium or New York's Candle 79. Now I just think of Till as a snooty place in Ohio where you eventually get $13 pancakes and inattentive service.

2 Thank childbride84