New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Cheap, clean, and friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wayfaring Buckeye Hostel

Wayfaring Buckeye Hostel
Canton, Ohio
“Cheap, clean, and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Wayfaring Buckeye Hostel this week while I was in Columbus on business. It was a very laid-back atmosphere with nice people. The place was so clean. You receive a clean towel an clean bedding upon arrival. All rooms are secure as well as the front door. I felt very secure during my stay.

I stayed in a dorm-style room that was about $26 a night; private rooms are also available. Limited parking is available in the back but street parking is plentiful. Breakfast is free and available, and there's also boxes for your own personal food storage. A hot tub is in the back and runs all the time, and there's even swimsuits available. Laundry is free; you just need to provide the soap.

There are computers in the common area as well as tv's. Bikes are also available to ride.

This place is close to downtown and the university. I highly recommend it to someone interested in hostel accommodations!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Kimberly D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hostel is located close to the Ohio State Campus and is in a convenient location for many activities, restaurants, and entertainment. I had no trouble finding the Wayfaring Buckeye Hostel and had a very pleasant welcome. The entire hostel is extremely clean while still keeping a nice, comfortable feel which makes you immediately feel like you are home. In fact, while I was checking in, another guest came in the door and she was greeted with, "Welcome home!"... I love that atmosphere. I booked a mixed dorm with 5 beds and my room was actually split in two with 3 beds in the spacious loft and two in the room below it. The bedding and towels were good quality and still in great condition. The bathroom was the cleanest bathroom I have ever seen in a hostel and it was quite spacious as well. The shower pressure was great and I did not have a problem getting hot water. On the main floor, there is plenty of space to relax with multiple couches and chairs, computers to use, TV, two kitchens which are fully equipped, bikes to borrow, a hot tub, a nice board with all sorts of local events and information, and I am sure I am forgetting something, but essentially this hostel has everything I could think of needing. There is a nice breakfast in the morning with delicious homemade bread. It was quiet and comfortable at night and I had no troubles relaxing and sleeping. There are parking spaces in the back of the hostel so I didn't have to bother trying to find street parking. You can obviously tell that the owners put great pride in their place and have done a lot of work to ensure everyone has a pleasant stay. I appreciate all of the extra thought and care they put into their hostel and I will definitely be staying at the Wayfaring Buckeye the next time I am in Columbus.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank dimps2
Tartu, Estonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hi!
I loved staying at the Wayfaring Buckeye Hostel. I arrived on a sunny day and found the housekeeper sitting on a porch, drinking wine.. excellent! That's a perfect setting for a porch in a sunny day. I would have join him, if I hadn't had a friend with me.
The hostel is perfect place to stay: you have everything you need and even more: bed in a nice room, sheets, nice bathroom, internet, kitchen, all the utilities you need. But it's not all! You have self-baked bread, food for free in the fridge and the housekeeper makes you café, if you want. And there are bikes for you.
I would come back any time and recommend it to you any time. I wish that the hostel does well and can host people for a very long time.
Thank you, Tim, Mat and Mat!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nele S
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I came to Columbus for the 3 day rock on the range music festival and decided to stay at Columbus's only hostel. It has a great location in a nice leafy neighborhood minutes from Ohio State campus and Columbus Crew stadium where the music festival was taking place. On arrival i was greeted by Matt and Tim who immediately made me feel at home and gave me everything i needed. This hostel was one of the best i have stayed in. The amenities include free bike rental, 2 huge commercial style kitchens, Cable/netflix, Wifi, free computers, free breakfast and an awesome hot tub in the back yard where we had numerous bonfires and they even provided free marshmallow's and smores. This was a hit not only for me but a Brazilian girl who had her first smore. The dorm's are really comfortable and spacious and the bathrooms super clean. I enjoyed staying here so much i extended my stay by 3 days and had more time to explore Columbus which it turns out has allot to offer. Tons of great museums, an Awesome Zoo and water park and the fabulous North Market scratch the surface. I also enjoyed exploring the campus area, Short north and German village neighborhoods, downtown and the Scioto river parks around the city. All in all a great week in Columbus thanks to the Wayfaring Buckeye and its great team of Matt, Tim and dog Ziggy. Thanks for making my visit a special one. PS check out the Latino food truck a block and a half away!

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ryanwillo1984
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The guys at the Wayfaring Buckeye were super accommodating. The hostel itself has a very "at-home" feel and is nestled in a neighborhood near Ohio State's campus. Mat showed us a wonderful time during our one night there and did his best to show us the amazing scenes that Columbus has to offer. Needless to say, we fell in love with the city. Wish we could have stayed longer!!

P.S. There is a hot tub.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business