“Ambiance is nice, food... not so much”

Grass Skirt Tiki Room
Ranked #257 of 2,263 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Drinks and ambiance are nice, but the food leave a lot to be desired. Compared to other sibling restaurants, the food I've had here has been a bit bland or over-salted. As others have mentioned, I think a bit over-priced for the portions. The Siam Soup is pretty good, but the curry just tastes like butter... Overall, a little disappointing.

There are newer reviews for Grass Skirt Tiki Room

Reviewed August 24, 2013

First of all, look up "hole in the wall" in the dictionary and you'll find a picture of the Grass Skirt. There is no large sign out front, just a few tables outside in the summer and an orange door. My daughter went to CCAD all freshmen year and didn't know it was there (it's literally across Grant Street from the dorm). Look sharp, you will be rewarded.
The place has a lot of upside - I love the Tiki style and it did not disappoint. Faux volcanos, palm frond wall coverings and the no windows to remind you your in the middle of Ohio all work to drop you into the tropics. There are a limited number of tables so it's not anywhere as big as say a Joe's Crab Shack or such. The food is tasty and reasonably priced, the Mai Tai I had made well if a tad small. Had the Crab Cake Menehune's and the Teriyaki Steak sandwich - both very good. Wait staff was terrific, food timely and while music in the background, could easliy have a conversation. Free Lei on the way out was a nice touch...
Dings - not many. A fairly short menu, would like to see a tad more seafood on it, but it's in the middle of Ohio, not a big chance for a ton of fresh (not frozen) Mahi, Ahi or Ono so I can understand. Oh and they wouldn't sell me the 5 foot tiki with the glowing eyes near the kitchen door - very disappointed about that...

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I went with some coworkers to the Grass Skirt Tiki Room for lunch. We ended up having several cocktails, ooops.

It's a kooky little place with kitchy decorations, I loved it! There is seating outside but it's kind of fun to dine in the dark cavernous space.

My friends had several selections from the "little plates" offerings. I had an awesome bowl of ramen that included kimchee and shrimp. It was really delicious and quite spicy.

What I love was that the soup was even better the next day. I actually think that's a sign of a great meal.

It was delicious. I will be back!

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

It's a great place to meet your friends: food is good and interesting , the music is not too loud , the prices great and the service outstanding!I'm gonna go again.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We tried the downtown establishment for lunch recently. Our group was very happy with the unique atmosphere. Our food was very tasty, but slightly pricey. My $7 Thai Salad with Chicken added for $3 was served on what looked like a side salad plate. Again, good food, but $10 was a little much for such a small salad. Another friend got a philly cheese steak type sandwhich and it received rave reviews. Drink selection looked good, but we all had to go back to work so we didn't have any drinks.