“Closed”
Review of Merlion Noodle and Rice - CLOSED

Merlion Noodle and Rice
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We loved Merlion. It was the only place in North Columbus, Ohio that I could get a great Tofu with Lemongrass and Chilis. I regret to say that Merlion has closed.

Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

I've lived in Malaysia and Singapore for work and was extremely happy to find this place because even in large cities it's not easily found. The food is spot on from the Hainanese Chicken Rice to the Bak Ku Teh (only served on the weekends). My favorite is the Ho Fun Cantonese style of course they have the normal Chinese items also but who wants that when you can choose from better things. This place can get packed but the service is still fast and good. Columbus is lucky to have Malaysian food here and I hope it stays a long time.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife and I lived in Singapore for 3 years, and, like most Singaporeans, the bulk of our out-of-home meals were at the "Food Stalls," where a myriad of dishes are served by multiple vendors serving their specialties. You stroll around, pick out dishes from one or more vendors, and await real treats that are brought to you. Merlion's menu and preparation are very, very authentic. Open only five months, this (Singaporean-) family-owned establishment was a real treat for us on a recent weekend visit to Columbus from North Carolina. It is a very plain store-front eatery, with formica tables, molded plastic chairs, and formica tabletops and, sadly, no beer or wine are served here. But the food was very good. My wife had her favorite dish (Lhaksa, a noodle soup), and I had Singaporean Mee Goreng (Careful:even my requested "MediumSpice" was fiery!) and a side order of Chicken Satay. We rate the first two dishes 4 stars, the last 2 or 3, principally because it wasn't as crispy as we like and rather bland, and the peanut sauce lacked character in our view. Nice, friendly, efficient service, great prices. We loved it.

Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

I've lived in Malaysia for a few years and this food is not easy and difficult to find even in large cities so I'm happy it's so close. Try the chicken rice or bak ku teh which is only served on weekends due to the long cooking process.