“Nice stay and clean room”

Comfort Suites - Columbus / Clara St
Ranked #66 of 146 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My family and I had a very nice stay at this hotel and our room was very spacious and clean! We would definitely stay there again. It's a very nice location if you're going to see an Ohio State Buckeyes football game! I recommend this hotel if you're seeing the game.

Room Tip: 2 double-bed rooms are very spacious.
1  Thank Elaine P

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times. We have always found the staff to be friendly and attentive to our requests. Our rooms have always been very clean and comfortable. There is not hot tub, only a pool. The hotel is very convenient to the Ohio State University campus. Also next to fairgrounds, and the Columbus Crew stadium. We have never had any problems.

Room Tip: best to book through online
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Hi, I am an over-the road truck driver and the company that I work for pays for hotels in cities that I have layovers (usually from 2-4 days). My stay at this particular Comfort Suites was from very late Thursday (9/12/2013) to Sunday morning (9/15/2013). I stayed in room 102.

Upon arriving, I noticed that the grounds surrounding the hotel were very pleasantly landscaped and free of any trash or debris (this is important, as it is my experience and opinion that when the exterior of a property is cared for and clean then one can expect the same of the interior).

One of the things that I was very impressed with was the cleanliness of the entire property, the exterior, public areas of the hotel itself, and my room. SPOTLESS!!!

The reception area was decorated in a very uplifting atmosphere, with bright pleasing colors and decorations.

My room was large, very large. It had a large flat screen television with plenty of available channels. The air conditioning worked fine, separate seating area had a sofa, coffee table and a writing table and there was plenty of lighting available throughout the entire room. There is a nook with a coffee maker (with double the amount coffee and condiment packets that you usually find at any other hotel), microwave, and refrigerator.

The bathroom is HUGE, with an abundance of clean, fresh, towels and other cloths provided, it was well lit, the shower worked fine and has a shower head that is adjustable for, I believe, 5 different types of spray patterns. Along with the regular shampoo, conditioner and body lotion, this Comfort Suites also provides a packet containing makeup remover wipes (not sure, but I think this important for the ladies), and yes ladies, there is also a hairdryer in the bathroom! There is also a small closet area to hang your garments with a shelf with an area big enough to hold two carry-on size bags and room enough on the floor for two to three pieces of luggage, and there is an iron and ironing board in this closet area. The only complaint that I would have is that I did not find a telephone book in the room as I like to look up and visit local thrift stores in cities that I have layovers in. Although my room was located very close to the elevator and lobby, I did not experience any noise from the hallway, I believe this is because, unlike many hotels, there is no gap between the carpet and bottom of the door (you know what I'm talking about).

The pool is an indoor heated pool, it was a little WARM for me, but as I am from Chicago, I am used to taking a dip or two in Lake Michigan which has conditioned me to water temperatures on the cooler side (personal preference). The pool area is clean, with plenty plastic lounges and towels provided. And there were a number of families enjoying the pool on the weekend nights of my stay. One thing that the nit-pickers may complain about is that some areas of paint have peeled off of the bottom of the pool, the areas have been repainted but you can tell where the areas were as the pool wasn't completely repainted.

The breakfast is available in a nice sized area just off of the reception area, and was better than a "Continental" breakfast as it included hot items such as (2) waffle makers, sausage links, eggs, biscuits, and sausage gravy. The eggs (eggbeaters?), which were about the diameter of hockey pucks and the sausage gravy were very bland for my taste (and again, this is a personal preference), I certainly would have appreciated if a bottle of hot sauce were made available.

The fitness room is equipped with one eliptical, one bowflex, and a treadmill and the room is, in my opinion, kind of small. There are plenty of towels provided.

The hotel is located adjacent to Interstate 71 and therefore some customers who are assigned rooms in the rear of the hotel may experience noise from Interstate 71 traffic, HOWEVER, as I was assigned a room in the front of the hotel, I never heard a sound from the Interstate. So, if you are a light sleeper, instead of subjecting yourself to the possibility of this noise disturbing your enjoyment, simply request a room closer to the front of the hotel, that way you won't have to whine about noise that any logical person would expect so close to an active expressway. ;>)

The area around this property is, in my opinion and experience, SAFE. I enjoy taking walks both in the early morning and late at night, and I did so every day throughout my stay, and I never felt suspicious or unsafe. I spoke to a number of locals (specifically, staff and security at the Crew Stadium) and the consensus was that this side of I 71 is safe and the other side is the area where, mostly because of economic reasons, there is an above normal crime rate, and as a result, that area is referred to as "The Hood". Also, as there is a police academy in the vicinity, there is abundant police presence.

The employees: In my opinion there are two types of hotel owners, those who are only interested in the almighty buck, and those who truly wish to provide an enjoyable experience for their patrons. This property is, in my opinion, without a doubt, owned and operated by the latter. The employees made me feel welcome and appreciated, they did little things that employes that do not care do not do, and they went the extra mile without having to be asked. I wish I would have gotten their names but I did not want to tip them off that I was going to write a review on TripAdvisor.

Room Tip: As this property is located adjacent to I 71, if you are a light sleeper, ask for a room near the fr...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank NoGvmnt
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We were in town to go to a game at crew stadium, which was only about a 10 minute walk. The reception area was nice and open, and check in was a breeze, the receptionist was very courteous and answered all of our questions.
The room was surprisingly big. Using the term 'suite' is a little bit curious though, as there is no wall that separates the main sleeping area from the sofa area. But there was certainly enough room, and it was very clean with a minifrig and microwave.
Breakfast was also really good, as there was something for everyone.
Cant beat the value for money, and the location if you are going to the stadium or expo area. Only downside about location is that the only place to eat in the area is a McDonalds.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

First night I entered into the comfort inn suites I was in utter shock. Attempted to check into my room and there isn't a single employee in sight. Front desk is completely empty no employee within a mile. Waited around for ten minutes and employ finally popped up from a smoke break. (This is a two night stay) we enter room and hope we can at least iron our shirts for tomorrow morning and iron is not functioning AT ALL. NO IRON! Believe me this gets much much worse. There was a circle of what appeared to be puke under the coffee table that was in the middle of the room. There was NO HOT WATER later we discovered that the knob was installed incorrectly (COLD IS HOT, HOT IS COLD) towels appeared to have been sitting in dust for years, room did include a pull out bed but when we lifted it down a smoke cloud of dust erupted. Expired warm complimentary water, it was a complete issue staying hydrated in this place natural resources were scarce we used a coffee pot to store consumable water in the fridge and were forced to walk through a dangerous area to get to a McDonald's and get tap waters that we could store in the sub par over used fridge that likely stored out cold items at room temp. As we leave for our first venture my friend gets his leg caught in the elevator and it begins to move. Our garbage began to pile and pile as the weekend went on, it was eventually taken care of by our maid and her four year old son that appeared scared of the situation that he was in. Comfort Inn offered free complimentary WIFI one hour it was up and running next hour it is non existent no bandwidth (no nothing) gone! Iphone was completely useless on this wifi, absolutely despicable. WIFI MADE PHONE SLOWER. Attempted to go for a swim, big fathers drunk poolside letting children go nuts beer cans laying on the ground. I exited the pool with no shoes on and pulled a piece of glass out of my right foot. Kids were visibly urinating inside the pool. Just stay away from this place.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I are quite loyal to the Comfort Inn/ Comfort Suites. We booked a one night stay while visiting relatives in Columbus. Our relatives heard where we were staying and warned us of the area being a bit "rough." Sure enough, a couple blocks south of the hotel is a scarey area. The key card entry to the back door, was broken, so staff kept propping it open with a cinder block. The room's decor was dated and the bathroom was a bit dirty (the shower needed a good scrubbing.) The hotel is conveniently located next to I-71, but there are no stores or restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Very nice hotel. Staff was pleasant and helpful; breakfast was good. One noteable experience to share, I left paperwork in the lobby near the breakfast area. I called the hotel and they had already found the material and saved it hoping a guest would call to claim it. Thanks staff!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business