“Sports Teams Beware”

Baymont Inn & Suites Columbus/Rickenbacker
Ranked #66 of 144 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed August 1, 2010

This hotel is great if you are adult travelers for the airport. Otherwise you definitely want something else. We were there for a baseball tournament and our team arrived after playing in 95 degree weather tired and ready to swim and get checked in. We arrived at 1:20 and was told there would be no check in until 3:00 (pointed at the sign to remind us that was the official check in). After questioning the most pleasant woman and manager (being sarcastic here) how could all the rooms be ready at exactly 3:00 they just replied that was check in time. Can our kids at least swim? Absolutely not since we are not check in. At 2:40 they announced "OK we are now ready to begin checking in" the lobby was packed with parents and players. Yikes! What a nightmare! We checked in on a Thursday and discussed with the Manager about our Sat. stay and we would not know until sometime Sat. after we win or lose whether or not we would be staying Sat. He then began to inform me that they lost THOUSANDS of dollars due to the contract they agreed to with our teams and we needed to cancel today by 4:00 if we were not staying on Sat. night. Ok, today is Thursday at 3:00 and we had to tell him if we were staying Sat. night. Apparently we had a 48hr. cancellation policy. Are you kidding me??? This was the manager no less. This hotel chain needs to get staff that understands customer service. BUT let me say they had ther #1 employee Clark on duty in the evening and first thing Saturday morning. He was awesome. Since they had no internet the entire time we were there we had to have Clark check continuously to see when we played the next day. This guy ran two computers checking play schedules, answering the phone to book guests, and handled everyone at the counter. This guy should be the manager, he understood customer service. . As far as the location it had a lot to be desired. , it was an easy 20-25 min. drive one way to a restaurant and 45 min. to over 1 hour one way to our fields. The hotel was clean and the breakfast was decent for the boys. I would make this your last choice of hotels if you are a travel sports team.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed July 9, 2010

OTR truck driver - wanted a night out of the truck. Didn't check in until 11:30 PM by the time I finally found the hotel. Not convient location. Price was ok,. Didn't have to leave until 6 PM following day. Inquired re late check out. Told could stay until 1 PM. Also total 1/2 day would be 1/2 of price paid for room. Desk cleark said check out was 2:00. Told him 'oh won't be their anywhere that long. A half day until 2 AM very generous - right? WRONG! At 2:59 PM received call saying check out was 2 PM. So 1 hour would have cost me 1/2 price of the room! By then too late to change plans so ended up paying for 2 whole nights. Clerk was very aware that he didn't explain this. Got me this time but will never stay at Baymony again. Dislike crooks.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I blind-booked this hotel via Hotwire desiring to be near that section of I-270. Instead, I got this hotel, which is not that close to I-270, but rather services an airport with virtually no passenger flights. Still, the hotel was more than half full, even on a Tuesday night. I'm assuming that the typical guest must be a guest, laborer or employee of the numerous local industries. Consequently, this hotel has a very limited function.

Still, it's a good hotel. It's a newish property, with a nearly identical floor plan to the nearby Canal Winchester Best Western. The hotel is squeaky clean. Check in went smooth, even though I arrived well after midnight. The room was basic, but comfortable. The bed was fine. It was late, so I didn't use the tv.

The next morning, the breakfast was OK. It was mostly carbs, but did have sausage in a catering tray. I would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 15, 2010

I couldn't resist from myself writing a review about this hotel. The staff is unbelievably helpful. I forgot my golden ring in the bathroom of the hotel and I totally lost hopes before I called them. To my surprise they said that they stored it in a safe place after I checked out and they said that they can post it. I got the ring today and wanted to give 5 thumbs up for this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel, and was not satisfied in any way, they were under-staffed, and two of there so called "managers" both smelled like marijuana and were acting ridiculous. I was extremely upset, apparently this isn't a place were families are welcome, I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2007

This hotel is now called The Baymont Rickenbacker. Its a bit outside the city of Columbus, but right on the airport grounds (not the main columbus airport, but the smaller cargo/charter/private flight airport). The hotel itself was pretty clean and the rooms ok,, generic Baymont style I guess, maybe a little older, but definatly clean. The staff was also friendly. The grounds were nothing special, just a bunch of open fields, parking lots and airport roads. Nothing in walking distance (food, etc) For the price, I was satisfied and would return if I was in the area again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 13, 2005

great stay. room was clean

• Stayed: August 2005