“A Pleasant Surprise!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dempsey's Restaurant
Ranked #234 of 2,214 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kettering, Ohio
“A Pleasant Surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I had an early appointment in Columbus, Ohio on Monday, August 12, 2013. I was to be at another about 10 minutes away, at noon. In other words, I had time to kill, I was hungry. I wandered into Dempsey's. At first I thought, "A bar for breakfast? Nah." Shame on me. Dempsey's is a quaint, warm restaurant with a full service bar. I was seated immediately by a charming, pleasant young lady who seemed happy to see me. I had a rather standard breakfast prepared perfectly. The coffee was g-o-o-d, plentiful and most welcomed! The server was attentive, yet not smothering. I had my "busy bag" with a book to entertain myself. She was respectful of my concentration yet, chatted when questioned. There were other tables where the guests seemed to be "regulars". The single server was efficient and handled everyone's needs. I took a peak at the menu. Remember, I only had breakfast. There is something for everyone available. There are lunches, snacky foods, light dinners, small portions and regular full dinners. The pricing is competitive and if breakfast is any indication of the quality of food, worth it. The most expensive item that I saw was a $36.95 Strip Steak. My breakfast of eggs, red skin potatoes (delicious), bacon, English muffin cost only $6.95. Dempsey's is immaculately clean, inviting with good food and warm atmosphere. I would recommend a visit to this establishment when visiting Columbus, Ohio for business or pleasure...anytime!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LauraMacy

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great for wedding guests!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Wonderful for our guests staying at the The Westin for our wedding to go to for after party drinks, pre-event meals, and for just a great patio view of downtown columbus! Perfect to have right next to a historic hotel!

Visited August 2013
Delaware, Ohio
“Terrible dinner experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I went to Dempseys prior to going to the theater on 6/18/2013 at 6:15pm. There were only two other tables occupied. The menu entree prices were similar to a fine dinning restaurant (Eddie Merlot, Ruth Christ etc) Beef Steak entrees were $33-$47.
I ordered a Caesar salad, the Jumbo scallops and saute' green beans. My husband also ordered a caesar salad and the crab cakes . The server was not able to answer any of our menu questions.
The server brought us our entree first. We asked about our salads and told him that we would like our salads first. He told us he would need to talk to the chef about holding our entrees and getting our salads.( the other two couples had left and we were the only patrons in the restaurant while we were there) When the server returned he told us the chef had a plan regarding our entrees and the chef was making our salads. The lettuce was not fresh and looked and tasted like bagged lettuce. The dressing was OK but was hard to find on the salad. I had a few bites but found it unappetizing. The green bean saute' tasted like flavorless mushy over boiled canned green beans. The Jumbo scallops were 4 medium size and were dry, rubbery tasteless and chewy. I sent it back and told the server that they were very bad and I was very disappointed with the meal. The crab cakes were mediocre at best. They were also mushy and no lump crab was found. They were either overworked in preparation or low quality crab was used.Also too much breading and mayonnaise.
They did give us 25% off our meals.
I was still very hungry so we went around the corner to the"Jury Room Pub" for a very good Brisket sandwich and very good service.
This may have been my worst restaurant experience in Columbus, Ohio. I have lived in the Columbus area for over 50 years.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Bar with flare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stopped at Dempsey's, after seeing their menu somewhere, for a fresh, home cooked breakfast and were not disappointed. I ordered the corned beef hash which is made from scratch and was the best I have ever had. It was served with an egg poached to perfection. My husband had a standard american breakfast with everything on his plate hot, fresh and bacon cooked crisp just the way he likes it. The coffee was above average and cinnamon rolls yummy. I highly recommend this bar that opens early for a reason.

Visited June 2013
Northwest Ohio
“Beautiful place, good food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Dempsey's has a beautiful old wooden bar and a old-timey feel. Nice outdoor patio. Awesome bread pudding. Nothing stands out from the menu on the 6 or 8 times we've been there. Owner was less than friendly with our table of guests on one lunch visit.

Visited May 2013