“Quiet, Comfortable and Affordable”

Drury Inn & Suites Columbus Convention Center
Ranked #4 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed November 29, 2012

If you are looking for a quiet, convenient and affordable hotel near Downtown Columbus try the Drury Inn and Suites. The Bus to Downtown and to The Ohio State Campus (for the coldest OSU / Team Up North football game ever) are a block away, the Short North with all its yummy dining is within walking distance. German Village is a short cab ride away and the Arena and Convention Center are practically appendages of the hotel.

We stayed at the Drury Inn & Suites for six nights in November around the Thanksgiving Holiday. When we arrived at the the hotel for our first night, we had been upgraded to a king suite. It was a welcome sight to see the huge room- the king bedroom was large with a closet, two night stands with reading lights, a bureau with drawers for both of us and a 32 inch LCD (LED?) television.
The common area had a sofa bed, coffee table, desk area, a bureau with a larger flat screen tv, and a wet bar with a sink, coffee maker, and under the counter mini-fridge (empty! so we could put our food in it).
The bathroom had a sink and counter space separate from the toilet and tub/shower so we could both get ready at the same time.
We had lots of room to relax after visiting Columbus each day. Our college aged son used the pullout sofabed for a couple of nights while he was in town and said it was fine for a sofabed.

Parking was very easy. One's room key is used to enter and exit the secure garage and there was always a parking space available. One also uses the card-key to access the elevator. I liked the extra security and it was not a hassle at all.
All registered guests enjoy a complimentary hot breakfast each morning of their stay and a complimentary "kick-back" each evening. The breakfast offering was make your own waffles, scrambled eggs that one could add ham and cheese to, assorted breads, bagels, and cereals, breakfast potatoes, sausage, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, granola and oatmeal - something for everyone! The "Kick-back" offering during our stay was mac & cheese, hot dogs, vegetable soup, baked potatoes with fixings, and chicken strips. Not fine dining mind you, but it hit the spot. Each adult also received up to three complimentary cocktails each night of their stay.

There is a small fitness room with four cardio machines that was clean and well kept and they also have a swimming pool and hot tub.
What I like the most, however was the hospitality with which we were treated to every day. From the maintenance and housekeeping staff to the front desk staff, everyone was pleasant and positive and seemed to be happy to be there. I want to especially name Josh Yee, the Assistant General Manager. When we went by the front desk or saw him anywhere in the hotel, he was ready to accommodate us or any guest that had a question or comment.

I am picky about rooms I stay in. I want a quiet, clean, comfortable room. We were given a room (741) at the end of a long hallway, far away from the elevator and ice machine. We only heard our neighbors shutting their door around midnight one night. Other than that, not a peep. (there was a junior ice hockey tournament in town and the players and families were staying at the hotel.) However, as much as I have been raving about the Drury Inn, I have 2 negative comments:
1) The pillows on the bed- lumpy and squishy. Not for me at all.
2) The carpet in parts of our room was worn and stained. Not horribly, but if it was at my house I would call Stanley Steamer.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Drury Inn & Suites Columbus Convention Center

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The staff here was VERY friendly and helpful. The room was well appointed, up to date, and clean. Very convenient to restaurants and bus line. But the real value is the food; HOT food. It is not exceptional but it is good, and the evening social includes three alcoholic beverages per night. Because of the food with room value this is a great option for families; but maybe not for a couples romantic get away. A good choice for a comfortable stay on a budget.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The Hyatt was host hotel for my conference at the Covention Center. After a little reaserch, I reserved Drury Inn instead because: 1) it's directly adjacent to the Convention Center, 2) decor feels more relaxing and less business-like which I need ed after a long day and 3) cheaper rate than Hyatt. Guest parking in the garage is $12/day. You have to use your room key to enter and drive out the fully gated garage. I was staying for 5 nights so for a liitle more $$ I stepped up to a king suite.

Pros: no bathroom fan noise, very quiet HVAC, great view overlooking downtown, very comfy bed and pillows just like home, the dark colored carpet, earth tone wallpaper and lampshades effectively muted normally annoying compact flourescent bulb lighting.

Cons: No freezer compartment in the mini-fridge (for my ice packs). The fridge is inside a (floor level) cabinet which rendered it useless since the generated heat had nowhere to escape. The temp control had been set on max but the temperature inside was barely less than room tempertature. Fortunately the electrical cord was long enough that I slid the fridge out of the cabinet onto the floor. Then it worked fine. I took my ice packs to the front desk to be kept frozen in the hotel freezer. Rather than a card reader slot, you have to wave you room key in front of a magnetic reader. It normally work okay at the room door but often required waving the key several times to operate in the elevator and parking garage gates.

Overall a very nice downtown hotel. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want a nice view of downtown, ask for an upper level room facing Nationwide Blvd.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2012

What a great weekend for football! and the location of this reasonably priced inn was perfect. Close to excellent choices for late Saturday evening food and drink in the Arena district as well as a great farmers market in the Short North district early Sat. AM....Squeeze in a little OSU football Sat afternoon and you have a perfect weekend with a nice retreat to fall back on and relax. The staff was very friendly and helpful. i did not like having an interior "room with a view" of the meeting room?? it was weird not knowing if the sun was shining or not. Parking was safe, convenient and reasonably priced as well. My first time at a Drury Inn and i would not hesitate to try it in any other city, except i did not see the muffin man anywhere??

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was in town for a conference and several area hotels were holding blocks of rooms. The Drury offered the least expensive rate. I did not realize that included in the rate was breakfast, afternoon popcorn and soft drinks and in the evening heavy snacks/dinner and drinks. The food offered in the evening was not fancy but you could certainly make dinner of it if you chose to. The conference I was attending provided meals so I did not try the food but they were busy every evening.
The staff was super nice and helpful.

1  Thank NatsFan757
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Friendly, helpful staff. Very convenient to convention center. Reception each evening with drinks and a light dinner was a plus. Hot breakfast each morning.
Housekeeping staff was excellent and quick to respond to requests for extra coffee, etc.
I had never stayed at a Drury Inn prior to this but I was very pleased and will consider this brand in the future.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Was booked in here as the most reasonable of the hotels attached to the Columbus Convention Centre. Although the room decor was a bit outdated it was in no way tired. The bed was comfortable, the elevators were fast and the inclusion of breakfast and free wireless in the room rate was much appreciated. Desk staff were very pleasant. All in all I am very pleased that we chose the Drury for our 9 staff attending the convention. We saved money, were still able to walk indoors to the meetings and had everything we required.