“Excellent in every way!”
Review of 89 Fish & Grill - CLOSED

89 Fish & Grill
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Nationwide Blvd. / High St.
Transit: There is a Taxi Station across the street from the restaurant.
Description: 89 Fish & Grill uses only the freshest seafood, meats, dairy and produce available. Our menu is prepared daily in our scratch kitchen with an emphasis on locally sourced ingredients. At the bar we offer hand crafted cocktails with fresh squeezed juices, micro brewed beers, & a wonderful wine selection from around the world.
Columbus, Ohio
“Excellent in every way!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I dined here with a dear friend a couple of days ago. We arrived shortly after they opened at 4pm. They are not open for lunch. The interior is really beautiful with a wood ceiling and plush decor. They do have outside dining available but it was 90' out so we dined inside. We were seated in a lovely booth and were enveloped in privacy. We ordered 3 appetizers: scallops with risotto served w/ demi-glacé and sage oil drizzle, oysters rock and oysters on the half shell. All were incredibly amazing! I'm very picky I tell you and I was impressed. My friend ordered the salad with strawberries but I didn't try it, she loved it and ate the whole thing. For our main courses, I ordered the 6oz. Filet with 1/2 stuffed lobster ($45) and my friend the Swordfish. My meal was wonderful. The steak was nicely sized and cooked perfectly, the lobster was very, very small but so good I almost licked the remaining shell which the waitress saw me do and we all had a good laugh! The lobster is not listed on the menu as such but it is pretty much a classical Lobster Thermidor with cognac in it to boot. It was delicious! It was served with their herbed mashed potatoes and steamed veggies. My only diss were for the potatoes. They are served piped out in a lovely dollop like whipped cream but were so strong on herbs it was like eating flowers. It took away from rather than adding to the potatoes. I had 2 glasses of wine and my friend an iced tea. With 20% tip the bill came to $200 (for 2!). I didn't mind though because we ordered everything we wanted and it was all delivered by a chef who knows what he's doing and cares about what he serves. At the end of our meal the manager stopped by and he gave us a frequent diners card that gives us a free something at each visit! We praised our meal to him and left happy and full. Excellent!

Visited August 2013

Austin, Texas
“pretty average”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My meal here was pretty average. I ordered a salmon dish and the salmon was dry. The service wasn't bad, but the server didn't seem to be overly educated on the menu. He may have been new. I would be willing to give this place another try, maybe I will go a little later in the evening (dined at about 5:30 my last visit).

IOWA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Deliciously Appetizing”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was in Columbus for the OFA short course. It was close by my hotel and I went there two nights in a row. The first night I indulged...a better word for it is gluttony. For my appetizer I had the oysters rockefeller which were perfect, I think I found myself licking the shell....oops. For my main course I had the 6 oz filet and crab cake combo. Both were cooked to perfection (steak medium rare), I actually cut my steak with the fork! The combo also came with a side of seasoned vegetables and garlic-herb mashed potatoes. For dessert...which I admit was not needed at all, I had the deconstructed/reconstructed key lime pie. At this point in my meal, I was getting the sweats from all the food. However, the "pie" was very refreshing and amazingly prepared.
The following night, I took it "easy". I took a seat at the bar and the bartender, Holly, served my the best Southern Comfort Old Fashion I have ever had, and her Mojitos were fabulous. Maybe a little too fabulous. :-) That night I had just an appetizer, the seared scallops. Again, perfectly prepared.
I have to say, not only was the food absolutely fabulous, the ambience, the staff and the patrons made this place feel like home. If anyone is ever in the vicinity, you MUST go here!!! When I'm back again next year, please save me a seat at the end of the bar and have a Old fashion waiting for me. It would be appreciated.

Pickel

Bradfordwoods, PA
“Loved this place”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

89 Fish & Grill had great food and great service. What more could you want from a restaurant? We dined on the patio. The server was attentive and friendly. We had the chorizo glazed scallops & they were perfectly prepared. Highly recommend!

Visited July 2013
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
“3.5, if I could have”
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I would have given this restaurant a 3.5, if I could have, but since there is nothing between average and very good (such as good), I went with very good. The food was good, not really very good. The service did, honestly, qualify for very good. The value was also quite good. Overall, it was a good restaurant with very good service.