“Service failed to meet expectations”

Hilton Garden Inn Columbus Airport
Ranked #25 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Service failed to meet expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

I frequently stay in a Garden Inn (Hhonors Gold) because of consistent service, food and accommodations. The Hilton Garden Inn at the Columbus, OH airport met my expectations with regard to food and accommodations but not service. I checked in late on Sunday, October 23 for a two night stay. Monday morning I tried to access my email before my first appointment only to find that wireless signal was all but non existent. No problem since I had an Ethernet cable and there were instructions sitting in the middle of the desk about using a wired connection. No luck since I found there was no wired connection. I stopped by the front desk on the way out and identified myself by name and room number. I indicated that there was a problem and I would really need internet access in the afternoon. She said that they were aware of a problem but I could sign on to the Hampton Inn site (they share a parking lot) and she provided me with the sign-on. Came back in the afternoon and found that the Hampton Inn site wasn’t even an option. Call to the front desk and a different clerk indicated that I was on the wrong side of the hotel to access the Hampton site. He also indicated that the Garden Inn had been having problems for some time. He asked me to give him 20 minutes and he would get me a room across the hall. I got involved in another call for about 45 minutes and heard nothing from the front desk. Went down to the desk. Clerk indicated that they didn’t have a room clean. Very poor customer service since the front desk already knew I needed to move and had also committed to a 20 minute wait. Clerk called housekeeping and found a room. I indicated to him that I was very disappointed about the level of service and asked that he pass on my disappointed to the general manager. Either that never happened or the general manager didn’t care since there was no follow-up. For me customer service sets the tone of a property. The staff knew the problem existed but did nothing until it was raised as a problem by the guest. Not a very proactive position to take!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Denver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

If you want a convenient reasonably priced place to sleep in while visiting Columbus this is pretty good. It is not fancy and there is nothing close to it but the airport and a McDonalds but for a couple of nights rest at a decent rate it will work. It is literally 1/4 mile from the runway, but the airplane noise was not nearly as bad as I feared.

The room was bigger than expected and seemed very clean. The TV selections are standard, the wifi is ok if a little slow and the "fitness center" is one broken treadmill, an elliptical trainer and a small weight machine. All the staff was nice and helpful. The breakfast is fine, if a bit overpriced, but as I said above your choices close by are limited.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Marina del Rey, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

I've always been a fan of Hilton Garden Inns. They have free internet, free breakfast and usually good pools. This particular HGI had kind of a lousy indoor pool but the internet and breakfast were good. They have a free shuttle to the airport and a different free shuttle to a surrounding commercial area. The airport shuttle is timely and reliable; the area shuttle was not so reliable when I was there. But no matter. I stayed there to catch an early flight home. Mission accomplished.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Fitch7600
Sardinia, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

I stay here fairly often when working in Columbus. It never disappoints. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean. This is a basic business hotel. I know what to expect and they always deliver. The restaurant is good with cook to order breakfast. I am not a big fan of Lodgenet, the TV service used in the hotel.

Room Tip: If internet is important, ask at the desk for a room close to a hub. Service is spotty
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
South Florida, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

First, for reference, I am a Hilton Diamond Hhonors traveler. I do around 90 nights a year in hotels, mostly Hiltons.

So I checked into this Garden Inn. Typically Garden Inns are newer and clean. This one is newer for sure. But it sits at the end of a runway and is noisy. It's across the street from mcdonalds so it's smelly.

My room, a king bed as requested, had dirty water coming through the bathroom ceiling. Yeah. That kind of water to judge by the smell and color.

I immediately went to the desk to get a new room and thus found myself in a handicap accessible room with two doubles. I don't fit in doubles. So it was either the sewage or a too-small bed. I took the tiny bed.

I also noted the bed(s) were not the adjustable type standard in Garden Inns. Just a plain old cheapo mattress with dingy off-white bedding.

Nice place. Nice for somebody else that is. I wouldn't stay here again on a dare.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank SoFLme
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Management doesnt abide by Hiltons policy that diamond members are not required to produce credit cards upon check-in.

Hotel is not kept in top notch conditions

Hallways has the typical stench of deferred maintenance.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Defiance, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Standard HI GI, setup amenities and very good service. Room had an air conditioning problem on checkin, immediately solved.

• Stayed July 2011