Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center
Ranked #97 of 146 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Stayed here. Not much to say. Toilet didn't flush well. Sink didn't drain for a few minutes. Hallways smelled kind of funky. Even for Holiday Inn, it was one of the lower end ones....

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank johnnyt918
mattmoss79, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2010

Apologies on behalf of the staff and management that you did not have a great stay. We do not think that an aok stay is acceptable we do strive very hard to provide everyone with an exceptional stay. I apologize that you had troubles maitenance wise. I hope that you had reported it, so we could have resolved it. We have recently started to remodel our hotel which will see all the carpets in all halls and common areas replaced as well as the carpets in the fourth floor rooms. All the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors were changed out in 2009. The odor you may have encountered may have resonated from a room on the fourth floor as it was half smoking and half non smoking. The hotel has since gone 100% smoke free and is in the process of changing out all the affected items to better improve the experience for our guest. We are also looking at possibly doing an executive floor as well. Many great things are coming.
Please consider us in the future when you travel to OSU or Downtown Columbus.
Regards,
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed January 6, 2010

I stayed here for concert when I was in Columbus. It's right off I-71 N/S and easy to get back on the interstate if you're going anywhere really, airport, etc.

Maybe 5 blocks or so to High Street. High Street is the main drag in Columbus. North and South. South to OSU campus. Tons of places, to shop eat, and hang out.

True, the neighborhood isn't the greatest but the hotel was really nice, super clean, helpful staff. I'm not sure why some people had trouble finding a place to eat, there's a Wendy's right next door.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank marfrance1926
mattmoss79, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2010

Hello Marfrance1926,

We were very pleased to read your review. There is an extremely high level of pride that we take in what we do at Our Holiday Inn Express, and it is very rewarding for us to see our efforts impacting our guests like they impacted you during your stay. We will continue striving to become even better, and will use your review as a motivational tool towards our hospitality successes of tomorrow.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Columbus.

Safe Travels.

Guest Service Manager

Reviewed June 22, 2009

The hotel itself was very nice. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The breakfast was usual HIE fare. The neighborhood was iffy. Razor wire and bars on stores across the street. Some reviews said it is college housing nearby. That may be true, but this being summer, I felt the area was not the best. I would not stay there again, but that's the only reason.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

We always value and appreciate the opinions of our guests. Thank you for taking the time to respond to us about your stay. It is true that there is a business across the street from us that does indeed have razor wires and bars around there facility as they are a Highway Safety Products company which houses construction and traffic signs which indeed can be targets for College Mischief. It very well may have been summer but that does not mean that the kids all go home some stay for the summer quarters as well. A company does what it can to protect its interests. We are happy that you had a great stay with us otherwise and would hope to see you in the future. We do now employ a fulltime night security gaurd to help those guests who may have a concern in regards to the surrounding area and to alleviate any concerns that you might have.
Many regards,
Guest Services

Reviewed April 23, 2009

Stayed a single night while on business in the area. Clerk offered to recommend restaurants for dinner in the area; she was knowledgeable enough to send me to an outstanding ethnic eatery place and even printed directions for me. Room was fresh and clean, not noisy, appliances functioned just fine, had a restful night's sleep. Manager and all staff I met were friendly, solicitous and professional.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ClevelandMark
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel several times and have always felt safe and welcome. Surrounding areas are part of student housing and may look unsafe, however, campus assures safety of students. I have stayed at several hotels in the Columbus area and will highly recommend this location. The front desk and staff are always friendly and very willing to go the extra step to accomodate any needs that their customers may have. Rooms are always VERY clean. Ammenities are basic.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank sheasha
Reviewed February 10, 2009

The hotel is not located in the best part of town, and seems to be a bit less than what I'd expect from the Holidy Inn brand. Parking is poor and doesn't look very secure (at least a fence along the street would be nice). There is an indoor pool but the excercise equipment in the gym isn't kept up very well. The hotel is clean as expected however I would expect more given the name and the price.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
mattmoss79, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2009

I'm sorry that we fell short of your expectations, we strive to make every stay with us an enjoyable one. Our hotel is located in an urban campus housing environment. We do have plans to install a fence along the street but that will not be completed till later in the year if all goes as planned. We at the Holiday Inn Express OSU and Expo center pride ourselves on offering the best possible guest service experience. The parking lot is monitored 24 hours a day by cctv and staff as well. I thank you for taking the time to filling out this info, and hope that you are willing to give us another chance. Thanks again.
K. M. Cieslak

Reviewed January 17, 2009

We were booked here through Hotwire and found the location perfectly suited to our needs. I was a bit surprised at the 3 star rating. I stayed at the HI-X at Sunnyside-Queens a couple of years ago and think that was 2.5. [Shrug.] At any rate, the staff were unfailingly polite and friendly, and the premises were clean and comfortable. Unlike typical rooms these days, our room's two beds were queens, not doubles. This is something I greatly value and appreciate. Four adults can camp out reasonably comfortably. Another addition to creature comfort is the bedding, with good mattresses, options of soft or firm pillows, and nice downy coverlets. As well, as I recalled from Sunnyside, the towels were well above the usual, nice and thick. One final distinctive amenity, also apparently a HI-X signature, the toiletries were unscented. Those with sensitivities can use them rather than having to bring their own. The breakfast bar had some hot items as well as the usual continental items though they don't constitute a hot breakfast. Warm cinnamon buns were a yummy touch. More fresh fruit would be welcome. The breakfast area was roomy, comfortable, and inviting, as well as managed to a high standard by the main floor's attentive housekeeper. About the only thing visitors may wish to know is that the hotel is on a narrow road in an older, modest, lower income residential neighborhood, but the homes are well-maintained, single-family, likely owner-occupied and not barred up. I doubt there is much by way of shopping close by though. We stayed at a Hotwire rate of $74/night before tax, a splendid deal.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family