Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center
Ranked #93 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed April 23, 2009

Stayed a single night while on business in the area. Clerk offered to recommend restaurants for dinner in the area; she was knowledgeable enough to send me to an outstanding ethnic eatery place and even printed directions for me. Room was fresh and clean, not noisy, appliances functioned just fine, had a restful night's sleep. Manager and all staff I met were friendly, solicitous and professional.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ClevelandMark

Reviewed April 19, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel several times and have always felt safe and welcome. Surrounding areas are part of student housing and may look unsafe, however, campus assures safety of students. I have stayed at several hotels in the Columbus area and will highly recommend this location. The front desk and staff are always friendly and very willing to go the extra step to accomodate any needs that their customers may have. Rooms are always VERY clean. Ammenities are basic.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank sheasha
Reviewed February 10, 2009

The hotel is not located in the best part of town, and seems to be a bit less than what I'd expect from the Holidy Inn brand. Parking is poor and doesn't look very secure (at least a fence along the street would be nice). There is an indoor pool but the excercise equipment in the gym isn't kept up very well. The hotel is clean as expected however I would expect more given the name and the price.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
mattmoss79, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2009

I'm sorry that we fell short of your expectations, we strive to make every stay with us an enjoyable one. Our hotel is located in an urban campus housing environment. We do have plans to install a fence along the street but that will not be completed till later in the year if all goes as planned. We at the Holiday Inn Express OSU and Expo center pride ourselves on offering the best possible guest service experience. The parking lot is monitored 24 hours a day by cctv and staff as well. I thank you for taking the time to filling out this info, and hope that you are willing to give us another chance. Thanks again.
K. M. Cieslak

Reviewed January 17, 2009

We were booked here through Hotwire and found the location perfectly suited to our needs. I was a bit surprised at the 3 star rating. I stayed at the HI-X at Sunnyside-Queens a couple of years ago and think that was 2.5. [Shrug.] At any rate, the staff were unfailingly polite and friendly, and the premises were clean and comfortable. Unlike typical rooms these days, our room's two beds were queens, not doubles. This is something I greatly value and appreciate. Four adults can camp out reasonably comfortably. Another addition to creature comfort is the bedding, with good mattresses, options of soft or firm pillows, and nice downy coverlets. As well, as I recalled from Sunnyside, the towels were well above the usual, nice and thick. One final distinctive amenity, also apparently a HI-X signature, the toiletries were unscented. Those with sensitivities can use them rather than having to bring their own. The breakfast bar had some hot items as well as the usual continental items though they don't constitute a hot breakfast. Warm cinnamon buns were a yummy touch. More fresh fruit would be welcome. The breakfast area was roomy, comfortable, and inviting, as well as managed to a high standard by the main floor's attentive housekeeper. About the only thing visitors may wish to know is that the hotel is on a narrow road in an older, modest, lower income residential neighborhood, but the homes are well-maintained, single-family, likely owner-occupied and not barred up. I doubt there is much by way of shopping close by though. We stayed at a Hotwire rate of $74/night before tax, a splendid deal.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2008

we stay at hotels at least 12 times a year for work... i'm a 31 yr old female, traveling with my 65 yr old mother...

after driving around the hotel's tiny parking lot looking for a space large enough to hold our 12ft box truck (parking lots is ridiculously small- no room for oversized vehicles), we finally decided to back into 2 parking spaces in the front of the hotel. there we were greeted by a filthy homeless man walking down the street and repeatedly asking us for spare change. he wouldn't take no for an answer and followed us around the truck and parking lot for longer than we felt comfortable with. (and he was drooling!)

this hotel is on the edge of a ghetto. we drove around the surrounding neighborhood looking for somewhere to grab dinner before checking in, we ended up eating out of the vending machine.... the surrounding area was THAT bad. you couldn't pay me to stop and eat anywhere near the hotel.

the rooms appeared to be very clean, but don't judge a book by it's cover... we left with bites all over our bodies, could be bed bugs, could be scabies- hopefully we'll find out after our dr appointment tomorrow.

stay here at your own risk... you've been warned.

4  Thank Jarrick00
Reviewed August 1, 2008

My wife and I were taking a road trip from Kansas city to Cleveland and we stayed one night at this hotel. I chose this particular hotel because my family usually stays in Holiday Inn's whenever we need to stay in a hotel, and it was right off of I-71. Check-in went very smoothly, the front desk staff were all very very nice. The general condition of the room was very good and the hotel itself was very nice (we had a non-smoking room). We went out to downtown Columbus for dinner which was convenient because it was only 5 minutes away. I did see peoples comments about the area, however we had no problems at all. The hotel is right off of the freeway so it wasn't like we had to drive through any local streets to get to it. The hotel had a good amount of people checked in that night due to the state fair close by, and there were mostly families and professional people staying. Checkout went smoothly, and the breakfast was on par with most Holiday Inn Express's I have stayed at. In the end I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
mattmoss79, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2008

We thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey. A lot of the negative feed back we had received was under previous management. That has since changed by the time you had come to stay with us. We do value your opinion and hope to see you again soon.
Sincerely Guest Service Manager
Karl

Reviewed May 20, 2008

I've stayed at over 50 holiday inn expresses over the years. Some have been okay some have been exceptional. First off this was horrible. I wanted to cry upon arival. This place is NOT in a good area. If you are a single female traveling by yourself, by no means stay here, especially if you are by yourself and arriving at night. The building around it have gang writings all over them. The inside is okay. We got in at around 830 and the guy that was working the front desk was absolutely the rudest person ever. I didn't get his name but it wasn't fun. He was disrespectful at best. The breakfast was okay standard Holiday Inn express breakfast and the breakfast lady was nice ass well. The housekeeper who cleaned are room was very friendly as well she had just started and said the owners were new. Maybe there is hope that they changed things around and are making it better. The rooms looked old but were fairly clean. I still have never been treated that bad before in a service industry though. Not to mention the creepiness of the area. I just really would strongly advise going somewhere not on the east side, or closer to the airport if you are going to be staying in Columbus. Not this area! And they need a new night auditor who isn't so rude, I really hope he reads this because I was so offended at the way me and my daughters were treated by him!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family