“Great Breakfast, Great Room, Iffy Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center
Ranked #67 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Morganton, North Carolina
“Great Breakfast, Great Room, Iffy Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This hotel is pretty much the standard that all hotels should strive to meet. The room was clean, the staff was friendly, it had a nice pool, there was a good full hot breakfast, and it was easy on-off access to the interstate. This hotel was perfect for us as we were just traveling through on a long road trip and needed a comfortable place to sleep for the night. The night before we had stayed at an absolutely awful hotel and so we were just praying this hotel would be good. We've never been let down by a Holiday Inn and this hotel met our expectations of what a hotel should be once again. However, I will say that the location is a bit iffy. While it is an easy to get to hotel from the highway, the next day we noticed some shady looking people walking around. I'm not so sure about the area though. Don't avoid this great hotel just because of the location, but I would be sure to take valuables inside and make sure you lock the car.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank afordham91
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
afordham91,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with us. I am so happy that you found your stay clean, clean comfortable and friendly! I am sorry to see that you had a poor experience at a previous hotel but I am glad that we were able to make up for that experience with ours. We hope to see you again the next time your adventures bring you to Columbus!
Trusha, Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We checked in on July 4th around 5 pm. The back door to the parking lot which has a sign that it is "locked 24hr, need room key to enter" was NOT LOCKED. I mentioned it to the lady at the front desk. She indicated it would be fixed. Came back from the Clippers game around 11pm and the door was still NOT LOCKED. To be honest the hotel is fine but it is in a bad area of town. Did not feel safe that anyone could enter the hotel at any time during the night!!! When we checked out the next day around 10-11am, it still wasn't locking. Safety is a big issue for our family and they feel way short.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank PSU-JOHN-S
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Thank you for bringing the issue of the first floor door remaining unlocked during your stay to our attention. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you during your stay and I am happily able to report that the issue has been resolved.

Prior to your arrival a guest caused out fire panel alert system to activate. For security reasons, when this happens all of the property doors remain unlocked. After the panel has been turned off the Manager of Duty reactivates the lock. When the manager on duty went around to reactivate the south entrance lock we realized that it had short circuited and in order for repair we had to wait for a technician to come and replace the unit. Due to the long holiday weekend the soonest a repairman could arrive was Monday, July 7.

After being notified that the door would not be repaired until Monday the manager called in our security guard to make continuous rounds around the property to ensure our guests safety. We chose to not place a sign on the door as to not attract attention to the normally functioning unit.

Again I truly am sorry for the stress this issue caused you during your stay and we welcome the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future. Thank you again for bringing this issue to our attention as it has allowed us to better anticipate our guest's needs in the future.
Mundelein, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

If you're doing anything near OSU this is a good location. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I have a couple breakfast places I like in C'Bus so I didn't sample the hotel breakfast. The place is right off I71 which is convenient.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Princerman
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Princerman,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with us. I am so happy to see that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location, right off the highway and just minutes from the Ohio Sate University! I am also thrilled to see that you found your room to be clean and comfortable which is a testament to our fantastic housekeeping team. Thank you again for your response and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Waterford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Dispute this being in an area that you shouldn't walk around outside after dark even in a well lite parking lot. The hotel was fairly clean and the staff were excellent and very helpful. Breakfast was ok filled the spot. I was a bit put off when they recharged my credit card the day before my arrival for one night. They also immediately charged my credit card for the remainder of my stay plus an additional charge for advanced incidentals. Which there really is no place to have incidentals since they don't have a restaurant or anything. I felt this was out of line. I've stayed at many hotels and have never had this happen. Apparently this is policy but I've never had that policy with the Hilton or Marriott.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Terrilyn M
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Terrilyn M,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay with us! It is great see that your room was clean and you enjoyed your stay, which is a testament to our outstanding housekeeping and guest service team! I do apologize for the inconvenience our pre-arrival authorizations caused you during your stay, due to our 24 hour cancellation policy we pre-authorize funds in order to guarantee your room for arrival. I would also like to apologize for the authorization of the duration of your stay upon arrival. One of the benefits of staying with the Holiday Inn Express Brand is our Express check-out feature, which allows our guests to check out more efficiently by not having to stop at the desk when departing. Due to this feature we preauthorize the entire stay at the time of check-in so if you choose to leave without stopping at the desk your balance would be taken care of. Finally, I would like to apologize for the $10 incidental authorization placed on your card upon arrival. We, like all hotels in Columbus, preauthorize funds for incidentals. Many hotels fail to communicate this authorization with guests and even more preauthorize much more then $10. I understand that it is inconvenient to have a $10 hold on your credit card during your stay which is why we communicate this hold prior to the authorization. I hope this cleared up a few of your concerns! Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us, we hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Columbus!
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The hotel is quiet (despite being near a freeway), and has excellent staff services. When was the last time you got a call after you got into your room to check and see if you're satisfied? This place does just that. And, you can see that the people working there want to make you stay great. The room was clean, and the night quiet. The usual breakfast amenities are available as all the other Express places. The place is about 2 miles away from the OSU campus - and the access is super.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Gizbab
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Gizbab,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with us! Here at the Holiday Inn Express - Ohio State Fairgrounds our guest's satisfaction is our highest priority! I am so happy to see that your room was clean and inviting and our team made you feel welcome! I'm also glad to see that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location, just minutes away from The Ohio State University... Go Buckeyes! We truly appreciate your feedback and we hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Columbus!
Parma Heights, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed for Rock on the Range at Columbus Crew Stadium. The location was great and even though the neighborhood looks a bit... rough... everything was ok. The staff was great (and even put up with my knucklehead roommates cookie shenanigans all weekend). The breakfast was hot and included cooked eggs, breakfast meat, yogurt, fruit, breads/bagels, toppings, pancake machine and more. The double bed room was spacious and every aspect of the hotel was clean. I will try to book a room here anytime I am in the area for a similar event.

Room Tip: One elevator and it is slow
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Greg M,
On behalf of my entire team and I, it was a pleasure to host you and your guests during the very busy Rock on the Range weekend! I am so happy that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location, being just walking distance from the Columbus Crew Stadium definitely has it's advantages especially during Rock on the Range's fantastic 3 day concert series! I am also thrilled to see that you were pleased by recently updated Express Start Breakfast options, we have been getting great feedback and it's guest's feedback like yours that help make these kind of changes happen! Please call us directly when you are ready to book for next years Rock on the Range at 614-263-7725, we can't wait to have you back!
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

The hotel was really nice. It was perfect for an overnight stay. We were headed to NY and stayed the night. It is right off the interstate. We arrived around midnight. The staff was very friendly. Room was clean and comfortable. Not sure the A/C was working properly. The breakfast was decent. Coffee wasn't that good. They only had powder creamer in packets. Over all it was a good stay! Some of the things I mentioned are observations more than a complaint. I would stay there again on our next trip to NY.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Gwilliams73,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am even more thrilled to see that we will have the privilege of seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to Columbus! I am sorry to hear that you had a few set backs during your stay and I would love the opportunity to further discuss them with you to ensure that they get resolved! Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel or via e-mail at agashi.cmhhs@gmail.com. Thank you again for your response, we can't wait to see you again soon!