“Solo trip”
Review of The Blackwell

The Blackwell
Ranked #4 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I needed lodging near OSU Medical and chose The Blackwell. Patient or visitor lodging includes valet parking, breakfast, WiFi and transportation to and from the hospital. I was in room 408 and had a excellent view of the OSU stadium and campus. Everything was perfect from all of the staff of which most were OSU students

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed at the Blackwell in order to attend an event at the Schottenstein Center. For that, it could not have been better; less than 10 minutes and you're there. And of course, if you want to do anything on the OSU campus, this is your best bet. Valet your vehicle and start hoofing it. You're within spitting distance of the Horseshoe. Life is good!

Overall the hotel is very nice and clean. Rooms are well appointed. For the price of the room, the little touches are quite nice. A decent refrigerator? A safe? A Keurig? What? The bellmen/valets like to open the doors for guests, which is a good indication of the overall atmosphere of the hotel. The workers might be students, but they've been well trained.

The restaurant in the hotel is wonderful. We had multiple small plates for a quick supper and then a la carte breakfast items the next day. All of our food was delicious and the prices were reasonable. Room service was also very good. I had ordered a cheese tray and chocolate-covered strawberries to be delivered to our room in the evening, knowing that we would be hungry after our concert. They were waiting for us when we arrived back in our room. The cheese plate was huge, and all of the food was very tasty.

My only complaints would be that our Keurig did not work (couldn't get it to heat), and the soundproofing between rooms wasn't very good. Maybe that was because we had a connecting room, and the sound carried more than usual through the door that could've been opened into the room beside us? I don't know. But there were times that I could hear the woman in the room beside us, so I am assuming that the occupants of that room could hear us too. Sorry, strangers. But it wasn't so bad that it stopped us from getting a good night's sleep.

We would definitely stay here again. In fact, I hope we do. That's the best endorsement I can give!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SuperHeritageTourist
Reviewed February 14, 2013

If you have business at or near Ohio State University, The Blackwell is the only place to stay. Located right on campus and is a very relaxing experience. The staff is mostly OSU students and it is interesting to talk to the students about their career paths and how they are doing. The campus and the stadium are right outside your door. Beautiful way to spend a spring morning, walking around the campus. The hotel offers everything you need for a relaxing stay, or a business stay.

Room Tip: Can use OSU Rec center for gym
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Judgepam
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This hotel was awesome! The room was large and very clean. There were extras that I did not expect for the price - two bathrobes in the closet and evening service with ice and chocolates. Plenty of towels too. The room also had hot chocolate in addition to the usual coffee and tea offerings. Check in was very smooth. Although the hotel was full, it was very quiet on my floor. It was a snowy day and the sidewalks were clear and salted. I would highly recommend The Blackwell.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We drove in from Virginia and located the hotel easily. The doormen were quick and courteous. The front staff were professional and kind. The valet service made parking a breeze. The room was clean, spacious, and comfortable. We would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here just one night for an event as OSU. Very convenient having the hotel right on the campus. It gave us a chance to walk around and explore. The hotel has a very nice spacious lobby, and the check in staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. The room was fantastic - large, great view of of the campus, very comfortable beds. We ate at the onsite restaurant for dinner and breakfast. The food was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at The Blackwell because was in the OSU. I was there for 4 nights and te hotel was in a walking distance from where I newded to be. Before going I searched about the hotel and made me happy to see so manu good reviews. And they apply. The staff could be more friendly (lfake smiles stile). I loved the room. They have free wi-fi and free shuttle from and to the airport. My internet reservation didnt have breakfast included, but it qas better this way, because they have a Panera Bread very close by! I love Panera Bread!!!

• Stayed: January 2013