“Great hotel”
Review of The Blackwell

The Blackwell
Ranked #4 of 144 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed October 20, 2007

Great hotel, especially for one that is associated with a college campus. I was there for business, and this is the hotel that they booked for me. Amenities were nice, staff was young (I think they are college students), friendly, and helpful. Had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, which is standard hotel fare. Room was spacious, neat, and clean. You can only valet park, which is about $15. Self-parking is cheaper, but you have to walk a bit. My room was also designed to accommodate travelers with disabilities. I did not have a tub, so water got all over the floor, but I think it is supposed to be that way. I also did not have any counter space to put my toiletries anywhere. I had to use the counter in the other room. I Would stay there again, if I were visiting Columbus.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed October 19, 2007

They picked me up for free from the airport, I did not have to wait to check in and entered one of the best, cleanest most beautiful hotel rooms EVER!

Everything about it was wonderful, the bed was comfortable, they had great amenities, it had highspeed internet.

I hooked up my portable dvd player to the front of the tv and had a great time.

The best was the excercise facility a few blocks away. The hotel has an exercise room, but the the Ohio State rec center was close and was the biggest rec center I've ever seen on any college campus (I travel to many of them). That alone was worth it to me.

The restaurant was not great, my salmon wasn't done, but it was still ok, and the service was great.

I hope I'm sent back to Ohio state next year just so I can go back to that hotel and pamper myself for a few days.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank taraj65
Reviewed September 30, 2007

We stayed here on a Saturday night for a benefit dinner next door. With my AAA discount, it was $139 plus tax for a king room. The room was truly more comparable to a $239 room. It was very clean and in good condition. The furniture, etc. was very contemporary and good quality. Our bed was comfortable and the hotel was quiet. Valet was quick and the front desk staff were pleasant. Our only complaint was the restaurant. We don't expect much from hotel restaurants anyway, but at the breakfast brunch omelet station was unattended almost the entire time we were there. When the cook did show up, he overcooked the omelette. The buffet was not well stocked. I went up twice to get orange juice and was told they were refilling it. The food was edible and that's all. Don't let the restaurant keep you away from this neat hotel though! Oh, one other thing - as other boutique hotels, there are not many extras. If you want to use a fitness facility, you have to use the University athletic center, which is about two blocks away. There's no pool or spa at the hotel either.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2006

We stayed here for a wedding that took place in downtown Columbus. Chose the Blackwell because it seemed different from the bland chain hotels -- and indeed it was. The room was very spacious, with a comfortable bed and plenty of working space (had it been a business trip!). The bathroom was also roomy and well equipped. The location on campus was very nice. The lobby bar and restaurant looked nice, but we decided to go out on the town instead. The only downside was no self-parking overnight, so your only option was to valet. Otherwise, a great choice!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mikeboston
Reviewed September 5, 2006

I had a conference at this hotel, and I was not expecting much considering that it is on campus. I was immediately impressed by the professionalism of the front desk staff. The lobby is striking and sophisticated, especially for Columbus. The location is unbeatable if you have any business to attend to on campus. I imagine it would be fantastic for a football game, considering the stadium is just across the street. The rooms were nice, and all of the food was fantastic. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: August 2006
4  Thank kittymama76
Reviewed August 12, 2006

Very good university owned hotel at a not so good university. Great location - right by the business school and the football stadium. Average/below average food. Excellent rooms - very well appointed.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank TheBing
Reviewed April 10, 2006

Who would have guessed a hotel on a state university campus could be so fine? The Blackwell impressed me with the sleek design of the place: all Prairie School style (or inspired by it) woodwork and the like.

My room had a kingsize bed with good pillows (always important!). The hotel also provides free ethernet connections from the rooms and in lobby areas. Apparently wireless access is also available.

Thanks to the campus location, the hotel is quiet, too. It may be away from the attractions of downtown, but anyone here for the conference facilities attached or to see a game at the OSU stadium a stone's throw away will be pleased by the location.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business